Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2010, 07:14 AM   #1

How many actually use the shower in a 23ss

Hi, Being campers who always use electrical sites and we are always near shower facilities, we find we never use the shower in our 23SS. Seems like a lot of wasted space for us. I'm sure a lot of folks use it. But I am contemplating putting a cabinet in the slot and I will leave the shower unit in place. Has anyone ever modded this area and does anyone have opinions or ideas for the space.
gwizpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 09:46 AM   #2
Site Team

we use ours all the time and we are not skinny people.

we love having one and after adding an Oxygenics showerhead, we love it even more.

not having to schlep our stuff to the campground showers and having to pay, is way worth it.

and we never have water hookups, we use the FW tank on the trailer.

we would never give it up for extra storage space.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 10:36 AM   #3

Hi, We usually get a site that is within 100 feet or so of the facilities. (Kids) We have never had to pay for the supplied facility. Didn't know some campgrounds charge for that. Of course we use state and national parks only. Good info tho....
Old 04-28-2010, 01:18 PM   #4

Personally, I would keep the shower. You never know when you will need one and with small grand children that usually accompany us, it makes it a lot easier to bathe them.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 01:31 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

First you might want to figure out what you are going to store there. If I was thinking of this, I would build a shelf unit out of 3/4 inch PVC pipe, and use 1/4 to 3/8 plywood for shelves. I wouldn't glue all of it together, so I could take it apart and remove in necessary. That is if it's shelves you want.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 06:37 PM   #6

My wife uses it but I like more room and a little more hot water.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 09:29 PM   #7

The big bathroom and shower was the reason i bought the model we have it alone was the deciding factor between two different campers. We use the shower all the time its nice to have a clean place to use when out camping
Old 04-29-2010, 06:39 AM   #8

Well, Think I will build a cabinet that will come out easily, since I do own a wood shop that should be fairly easy. Will take pics when done. Thanks for the inputs
Old 04-29-2010, 10:52 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwizpro View Post
Hi, We usually get a site that is within 100 feet or so of the facilities. (Kids) We have never had to pay for the supplied facility. Didn't know some campgrounds charge for that. Of course we use state and national parks only. Good info tho....
well, we do the opposite and try to get a site farthest away from the bathrooms/showers. this is because of foot traffic, noise and they usually have bright lights inside and out.
Calif. state parks charge between $1.25-$2.00 for a shower.
we've been to YNP, Glacier NP, GTNP and Yosemite NP in the last 8 months and they all charge for showers.
i've never see a national park that didn't charge for showers but maybe there are.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 11:32 AM   #10

The reason we get close to the facilities is due to the grandkids always needing to go. We have never been to a state or national park that has charged for the facilities, they are always free. This includes, Ohio, Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Virginia and more.... Used to live in California.
Old 07-14-2010, 02:38 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
I've never see a national park that didn't charge for showers but maybe there are.
Cumberland Gap National Historical Park, Middlesboro, KY does not charge for showers. They have GREAT showers.... clean' and I do mean CLEAN. Sanitized daily... cleaned every day. There are two showers at the A-B loop..... another two at the C-D loop.... and I think 4 brand new ones at the furthest loop. LOTS of hot water.

The only time I've ever seen a problem was Memorial weekend... some IDIOTS came in and tried their best to trash as much as they could. Don't know who did it.... but IF I could have caught them I'd turned them in...... IN A HEARTBEAT!

Why do some idiots try to trash stuff? Somebody should have slapped their mama silly for having such stupid kids. (something tells me that the ones that did it were adults!)

Official member of the "Roo Kroo"!
2009 - 4, 2010 - 135
2011 - 95 and counting
skeeterbait8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 03:05 PM   #12

I have been using the shower in all of our campers that has had them. It has been a long time since I have even been in most of the cg bathhouses/potties. DH still uses the cg facilities as he says it is just too small. DGD has loved the tubs in our last 2 and hope she can adjust to the shower in the new one. I have seriously thought of having DH take out the sink and shower and put in a tub.
2011 Shamrock 23ss
2010 Ford F150 super cab 4 X 4
ilovecamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 05:28 PM   #13

Hi we had the same issue . . . I just posted pics of our shower modification. It was fairley easy and took about a day. We are very happy with the results and the increased storage space.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ower-7121.html

Lady Wendolyn

2003 21 ft Forrest River Shamrock

Manitoba Canada
ladywendolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 06:44 PM   #14

We're new to this so I am still surprised that campgrounds charge for showers. Alberta provincial campgrounds charge 2 tokens for $5 and each token supposedly lasts between 5 and 7 minutes. One private (Lion's Club) campground charged $2 per token for between 3 and 6 minutes of shower time. Private campground in Whitefish, Montana didn't charge but shower stalls were small and while not uncomfortable it wasn't exactly hot.
days camped in 2011: 37 (up to Aug 1st)
2Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:49 PM   #15

Traveling with grandkids, the shower is a must! I know it's clean. In fact, our last rip the outside shower was used even more washing off feet and arms after contact with dirt, leaves, and rocks. I may hit some parks that I would use the public facilities...but it would take a lot for me to take the grandkids in to use them.
momwithabat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:02 PM   #16

Lot of differences of opinion. Thee Roo has a 30+ gal FW tank. We stay for at least three days. There are normally 5 of us. 2 adults 3 kids. Now if we all take a shower daily plus use the sink occasionally and the toilet (remember 3 kids). How long would the water last, even if I installed a Super conserving shower head. Anyone know??????I dopn't think it would last very long.. Day maybe day and a half... If someone has had success with this please let us know what to do so we can use the shower and other things and have it last for 3 days....... I have thought to add a second tank in the truck to refill the HTT. Then there is the issue of the waste tanks filling fast. Thanks for the inputs.......
Old 07-14-2010, 10:10 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

gwizpro, tell your guests to take a Navy shower. Rinse, turn off showerhead, soap up & lather, turn showerhead back on & rinse off.

https://inlinethumb45.webshots.com/3...600x600Q85.jpg
revrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 07:27 AM   #18
Wanna Be Camper

We never used the shower/minitub in our Edgewater once. The outside shower was used a few times but I think the shower in the V-Lite will get used as it is much larger. Guess I'll know in 3 weeks when we head off to Barrie Ontario.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 09:36 AM   #19
IT Guru

Send a message via AIM to jsilvius Send a message via Skype™ to jsilvius
We use it every time we've camped so far. It is a lot nicer than any of the "shower" facilites we've seen @ the campgrounds so far. We don't like to be close to the facilities because of all the traffic and the people headed to the facilities always seem to be a bit more inconsiderate of our "space".

2006 Flagstaff 831FKSS
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT 5.9L Turbo Diesel Quad Cab
1 - DH (me); 1 - DW (Tee); 1 - DS (Jarod, 12)
Nights Camping: 2010 - 15; 2011 - 7; 2012 - 9
jsilvius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 10:28 AM   #20

We have a 3 and a 1 year old and the tub works great for giving them their bath. We haven't used the shower yet, and I'm not sure how it will work for me. I'm just under 6 foot and standing in the tub of the shower my head hits the ceiling. It might be tough for me to take one, although if I had to, I'm sure I could manage.

Tags
23ss, roo