Old 05-08-2013, 06:16 PM   #31
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarMovies View Post

So is it safe to say that DC (12v) power is really best used to power items that draw relatively little amounts of power compared to items that run off of AC? Items like my LED awning lights and not a popcorn maker or juicer.
Not only safe, but accurate. That's why your RV is powered the way it is. You also should fully understand why your air-conditioner, microwave, and electric water heater element are AC only items..........due to their large energy requirements.

Now that you hopefully understand it all better, you can tell that generator to "pucker up, buttercup".

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:45 PM   #32
Denver, CO

Quote:
When I get home I'm going to give my generator a big kiss. We are going to become good friends this summer.

So is it safe to say that DC (12v) power is really best used to power items that draw relatively little amounts of power compared to items that run off of AC? Items like my LED awning lights and not a popcorn maker or juicer.
Yes that's exactly it. Especially if you have a generator and plan to use it.

Old 05-08-2013, 11:22 PM   #33

I have a couple of take aways from all of this.

First of all thanks to everyone who posted. I did not address all of you but I read and reread every post. This is a great place to learn. No doubt about it.

Secondly, DC power with deep cycle batteries is best used to power items that are specifically made to operate on DC power. There are inverters available to convert power to run AC devices such as my juicer/popcorn maker but its not advisable. I have a 2000w Champion generator so fire that thing up whenever I am going to use high wattage items. They will only be running for a few minutes at a time anyways.

I now need to figure out how and where I am going to wire up the LED awning lights into DC power by tapping into existing power.

http://instagram.com/pineforestcamper#
----------------------------------------
PineForestCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:10 AM   #34

I tapped into one of the lights in my lower cargo bay. The leds only draw 1 - 2 amps.
Old 05-09-2013, 04:26 AM   #35
Site Team

Quote:

Secondly, DC power with deep cycle batteries is best used to power items that are specifically made to operate on DC power. There are inverters available to convert power to run AC devices such as my juicer/popcorn maker but its not advisable. I have a 2000w Champion generator so fire that thing up whenever I am going to use high wattage items. They will only be running for a few minutes at a time anyways.
WarMovies, it definitely sounds like you got the knowledge of how it all works now.....and hopefully others who may read this forum in the future will understand it too.

As been stated, you will need a large battery bank to run inverters that will output the necessary AC power you may need. These inverters come in different sizes, and the more they output, the more battery capacity you need. The size and weights of having several batteries(bank) are definitely a limiting factor. You usually only see large inverters in larger motorhomes, etc......although they can certainly be installed in trailers if needed per application.

Here is a fairly good article that you may find interesting, and you probably will understand it all now. It also has recommendations on wire sizes, etc. I just scanned over the article and didn't verify the sizes, but it's probably correct.

http://www.magnumenergy.com/Literatu...lent_power.pdf

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote