Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2011, 04:58 PM   #1

How Much Weight Can the Roof of My 233S Hold.

I keep reading how important it is to periodically inspect and maintain a TT's roof. I heard in the RVW 2010 Roo Walkthru videos that the roof can hold up to 300lbs. My dealer also said the rubber roof can support "plenty of weight." While I'm not willing to disclose how much I weigh, suffice it to say I'm not small and I would be very worried about being too close to that limit. Standing next to it on a step ladder to wash it w/ a long-handled soft brush is one thing, but what are my options to get up there for a closer inspection while keeping me and the roof safe? Is this a routine service that an RV dealer can/does perform? Thanks.
Manassas, VA
2011 camping days booked - 18 and counting
allards5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 05:01 PM   #2

Sorry, title should be "How much weight can the roof of my 233S hold?"
Manassas, VA
2011 camping days booked - 18 and counting
allards5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 05:06 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by allards5 View Post
Sorry, title should be "How much weight can the roof of my 233S hold?"
Corrected.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 08:35 PM   #4

I don't know the exact amount the roof can hold, but to be on the safe side you can lay a few 2 x 6 across the roof. This will allow you to disperse the weight and avoid damage.
Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 05:16 AM   #5

I'm 250 lbs give or take and had no problem installing Maxx Air covers on both vents last year. Was on my hands and knees, paid attention to what was around me. Never a creak, crack, groan or any reason to think I was damaging the roof or about to go thru. Some have mentioned using small pieces of plywood to disperse your weight. If the roof is strong enought to support an ac unit and a winter's worth of snow, it's strong enough to support me.
Mr.Beebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 06:33 PM   #6

Too each their own. It cannot hurt to add a little more precaution. When one invests large amounts of money into a toy its always a benefit to keep it in working order.
Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 07:44 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by allards5
I keep reading how important it is to periodically inspect and maintain a TT's roof. I heard in the RVW 2010 Roo Walkthru videos that the roof can hold up to 300lbs. My dealer also said the rubber roof can support "plenty of weight." While I'm not willing to disclose how much I weigh, suffice it to say I'm not small and I would be very worried about being too close to that limit. Standing next to it on a step ladder to wash it w/ a long-handled soft brush is one thing, but what are my options to get up there for a closer inspection while keeping me and the roof safe? Is this a routine service that an RV dealer can/does perform? Thanks.
The roof of your camper can hold a narwal health mail
Matthews1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 08:44 PM   #8

For my part I prefer not to walk on the roof. For washing I use a car brush with extention. As I move around I use a 10 feet step ladder. Like that I can wash the whole roof without walking on it. If I have to go on the roof for example installing the ac winter cover I install a heavy piece of carpet and even two layers before I climb on it. By the way your roof is not a rubber roof but a vinyl roof made by Alfa.
capucine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 11:49 PM   #9

I weighed 329 up until a few months ago. At that weight when I walked on the roof there was almost no give!
I am very carefull to lift my feet so I don't punch holes in the rubber roof.
I was also surprised at how much weight the ladder can take!
Jack

2015 Silverado High Country.
jackhartjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 09:58 AM   #10

I called FR because I had the same question as you. The gentleman their told me that it was fine for me at 245lbs to walk on the roof. He told me just don't have a dance up on there...LOL. I have been on my roof a few times to clean and maintain it with no issues.

Regards,

JT
tantsits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 08:51 AM   #11

I'm closing in on the 250 mark and had no problems going up there. Washing with a long handle brush is one thing, but if you are going up there to install vent covers or inspect the roof penetrations, you need to get up there. I do put a mat on the ground at the base of the ladder and a towel on the roof to wipe my feet though. No sense damaging the roof with a rock stuck in my shoe.
'09 Rockwood Roo 233s
'03 1500 Silverado LS

I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was going to blame you.
It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
The things that come to those that wait will be the scraggly crappy junk left by those that got there first.
popeye59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 03:51 PM   #12

I would be very careful to walk between vents and items close together with a very small portion of roof. Too much weight in these areas can turn into a crack and VOILA! the styrofoam has given up!!!!
capucine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
233, 233s