Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2011, 07:24 AM   #1
mml

How to add Bike Rack to Roo

i left a voice mail for fr almost 2 weeks ago with no reply...
i'm hoping the forum can help me out
i'd like to add a 4 bike carrier to the rear of a 17'.
my thought is to have a cross member welded across the frame and add a 2" receiver.
i've read so many pros and cons i was hoping for anyone here who may have some experience....

thx
mml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 07:44 AM   #2
Site Team - Lou

Nick,

More info please.

If you search here on "bike rack" you will find lively discussions.

What is "generally true" (may not apply to your "unknown" rig) is:

1) The frame warranty on Ultra-lite frames is void if anyone but the OEM makes holes in it or welds stuff to it.

2) The 4 inch bumpers are not strong enough to withstand the bounce of a bike rack. They flex until the welds to the I-Beams crack. (Long lever arm and weight)
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 08:01 AM   #3
mml

2012 - 17' roo
4 - bikes, - 3 adult and 1 child, not sure of the overall weight.
tow vehicle is a 2011 wrangler 4 door with their trailer towing package and a 600lb reese strait-line trunnion bar system...

i hope this helps

was thinking of a carrier style not the rack version.
i understand the warranty and the bumper not be able to withstand the force of much more that the spare...i've also have read many of the "lively" threads....

sorry for grammar and spelling - post surgery meds...

thx
Old 05-02-2011, 08:21 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mml View Post
2012 - 17' roo
4 - bikes, - 3 adult and 1 child, not sure of the overall weight.
tow vehicle is a 2011 wrangler 4 door with their trailer towing package and a 600lb reese strait-line trunnion bar system...
I am going to hijack this thread away from the bike rack for a moment.

Have you checked out the Wrangler tow ratings ?? The last time I did, this is what I found:

The Wrangler with the tow package was rated to tow 3500 lbs. The listed dry weight of the Roo 17 is 2872. If you have AC, an awning and other options then you are probably around 3300 lbs. empty. Check the label inside the 1 of the cabinets for your actual weight.

When I last checked, the Wrangler hitch was a Class II with a 3500 lb. tow rating. Most Class II hitches have a 1 1/4" receiver, but Jeep does put a 2" on the Jeep. Most Class II hitches do not recommend a WDH system. Check the sticker on the hitch to see what your limits are.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 08:31 AM   #5
mml

mtnguy,

the dealer did not advise me of any issue with the hitch and the jeep, quite the opposite, this would allow for a more smoother handling when towing.

i can't look at the specs now, i don't have the jeep and trailer, they're at the dealer for a few service issues..

would be a simple as changing out the hitch to a class III/IV

i'll look on reeses site for info.

thx
Old 05-02-2011, 10:05 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

You are correct that a WDH would be needed for your setup. Either just make sure that the current hitch is rated for that, or a Class III or bigger might be necessary.

The payload capacity of the Jeep Unimited is listed as 1000 lbs. Beware of that as you load up your camping gear and passengers, and that would also include the tongue weigh of your Roo.

The Jeep only comes with a 4 pin trailer connector. You will need to add 7 pin connector, adding a brake wire (and controller), a hot wire, and a backup light wire if your Roo has backup lights.

BTW, I would love having a new Unlimited to replace my 98 TJ that I bought new.......but that puppy only has 90k on the speedo, so I just can't justify an new Jeep right now.

Old 05-02-2011, 11:51 AM   #7

MML

Check out posts #29 and #30 on this thread for my suggestions for a bike rack.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...233-a-181.html
flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 12:03 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

I second the concerns that Mtnguy has with the towing capacities of your jeep and trailer.

With regards to carrying bikes on the back, besides the problems that could very well occur with the frame and/or bumper, you might want to consider the stresses to the bikes on the back of the TT. It is very bouncy back there and I would not want to subject my bikes to those stresses YMMV.

Have your considered a rack for the tongue of the trailer?

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 04:52 PM   #9

I third the towing concerns. I had a Honda Pilot and the hybrids were out of our towing capacity.

IME, dealers don't address the towing concerns, they want to make the sale. I was told my Pilot could tow the Roo 183 which is technically true, if I kept my family at home and the camper empty.

We traded in the Pilot for a Suburan to get a larger camper.

Definitely look into it and there's a lot of towing capacity vs GVWR, ect. info on this site.
Previously:
2005 Fleetwood Seapine, 2012 Rockwood Roo
2015 Sunseeker, 2017 Fleetwood Pace Arrow
hockeytownmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 05:09 PM   #10
mml

the specs on jeep's site state that the with a wdh the jeep can tow 3500lbs otherwise it can only tow 2000lbs.
as far as loading up the trailer and jeep i'll have to be careful.
i guess the bikes are out of the question.

i'm not sure i want to hear the answers but what will the issues be.
please leave out the results of an accident....driving any vehicle is a trust between you and the oncoming.
i've only towed it a few times and haven't had any issues.

thx
Old 05-03-2011, 05:13 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
the dealer did not advise me of any issue with the hitch and the jeep, quite the opposite, this would allow for a more smoother handling when towing.

i can't look at the specs now, i don't have the jeep and trailer, they're at the dealer for a few service issues..

would be a simple as changing out the hitch to a class III/IV

i'll look on reeses site for info.thx
no one should simply rely on what a dealer says. they just want the sale, no matter what. it's not their problem if you discover you are overweight.
i also, concur with the others that you'll be at or over the max of your Jeep.
most hybrids will be 300-400lbs. over its "dry" weight when delivered from the factory. "dry" weight is fictional number that no trailer actually weighs. my Roo weighed exactly 400lbs. over its dry weight, as it sat on the dealer's lot.
that was before we added a battery, propane and water, let alone cargo.
the Roo 17 has a GVWR of 3841lbs. and that's the number your tow vehicle should be able to tow, in most cases.
there should be a sticker inside one of the kitchen cabinets' door, with the trailer's actual UVW when it left the factory. that'll be its weight before battery, water and cargo. usually it

and without a WDH with sway control, you're putting yourself, your family and us in danger with such a short wheelbase vehicle that also has a low tow rating.

adding a receiver to it, doesn't equate a factory tow package. along with the type III/IV receiver, you need to get a tranny cooler, 7-pin connector and pre-wiring for the brake controller.
you didn't mention if the dealer is installed a brake controller, which is required by law.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 05:23 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
the specs on jeep's site state that the with a wdh the jeep can tow 3500lbs otherwise it can only tow 2000lbs.
I didn't see any mention of a WDH on the Jeep Unlimited site, but that doesn't mean it isn't there......I just can't find it.

On your hitch, there should be a sticker with the maximum weights.....you might have to crawl underneath the Jeep to find that puppy. With the stickers you stated above, the sticker should read something like "maximum tow rating with a weight distributing system 3500 lbs., with a maximum 350 lb. tongue weight. Maximum tow rating weight carrying 2000 lbs., with a maximum tongue weight of 200 lbs" or something to those affects. If so, then using a WDH and keeping the weights below those figures should work. If there is no weight listed for a weight distributing setup, then I would hesitate to use 1.

I didn't think that a Class II hitch would be compatible with a weight distributing system, but I have been wrong before, and will be again sometime in the near future.

Old 05-03-2011, 05:24 PM   #13
mml

let me clear up this before it gets out of hand

there is an electronic brake controller, not sure which model.
there is a 7 pin wiring harness.
there is a class II hitch that can be and is connected to a wdh
transmission cooler to be installed

i'm sorry if this is troubling anyone, as someone new to towing i felt what jeep and rockwood had offered as specs would have been enough to get started with and then looking to the dealer for their support, i'm not sure what to do here.
correct me if i'm wrong is anyone suggesting i do not tow with this combination.
i'm trying to learn and understand
Old 05-03-2011, 05:35 PM   #14
mml

from mopar

Hitch Receiver

Designed as a one-piece welded assembly for added strength over multiple piece designs, Mopar Hitch Receivers match your vehicle`s towing capacity/uses. Covered with two-layered, E-coated paint finish to resist rust. All Mopar hitches pass Chrysler`s extensive road testing for durability and strength. Check Owner`s Manual for hitch type, load capacity and heavy-duty equipment required. Do not exceed rated tow capacity of vehicle stated in Owner`s Manual. May require other items not supplied by Mopar.

...3,500-lb tow rating, 350-lb tongue weight rating with weight distributing equipment; otherwise 2000-lb tow rating, 200-lb tongue weight rating, 2"" opening, Same as Production, Hitch Ball and ball mount sold separately. Center mount rear Tow Hook cannot be used with Hitch Receiver....
Old 05-03-2011, 05:37 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

mml, sorry about the confusion. This is my fault when I hijacked your thread concerning a bike rack. When you listed the tow vehicle, then that was a concern to me. It does not mean that you can't tow with the Jeep, but the members of the forum want everybody to be safe out there. So we ask questions to see what the stats are, and go from there.

If you have the brake controller, adding a transmission cooler (must be an automatic, huh), the hitch is rated to pull that weight, and you keep within the tow limits and the GVWR of the Jeep, then you should be good to go.

Old 05-03-2011, 05:39 PM   #16
mml

no worries all good

now back to the bike rack, i can assume that a tongue mounted rack for 3 bikes will push the limits..
Old 05-03-2011, 07:13 PM   #17

Quote:
let me clear up this before it gets out of hand

there is an electronic brake controller, not sure which model.
there is a 7 pin wiring harness.
there is a class II hitch that can be and is connected to a wdh
transmission cooler to be installed

i'm sorry if this is troubling anyone, as someone new to towing i felt what jeep and rockwood had offered as specs would have been enough to get started with and then looking to the dealer for their support, i'm not sure what to do here.
correct me if i'm wrong is anyone suggesting i do not tow with this combination.
i'm trying to learn and understand
If it were me, I would not, hence my purchase of a new tow vehicle. I was told:

Quote:
Always apply the rule of 80. Never tow more than 80% of your tow vehicle's rated tow capacity. The tow capacity is figured with 1 single adult weighing 250 lbs
Previously:
Old 05-03-2011, 07:16 PM   #18

I'm also interested in the bike rack. At the moment, I'm just putting them in the camper.

I know what it's like to try to figure out the towing numbers - big PITA!
Previously:
Old 05-03-2011, 09:25 PM   #19
Site Team

mml, there's only one manufactured tongue-mounted bike rack. it's made in Canada by a company called Arvika.

they aren't cheap and difficult to find dealers in the U.S.

others have custom-made theirs. but, i doubt you'll have any extra tongue weight capacity, once you add the weight of the WDH, propane and battery.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:22 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Most bike racks I've heard of on the tongue are custom mods.

Is your Jeep a hard top? If its a soft top, just ignore this, but you can add a Yakima roof top carrier to a Jeep hard top.

Weight Police warning: Assuming that your Jeep has the cargo rating to support the rack and bikes, the tongue weight, people, etc.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bike, bike rack