Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2010, 12:54 PM   #1

How to install repair kit for Roo 21ss

We just received the repair kits for bunk end leaks in our Roo. Anyone have any instructions for how to install this kit?
pcraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 03:13 PM   #2
Site Team

there's a thread somewhere here with a link to the instructions with pics.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 04:10 PM   #3

How to

I am not sure where to look for the link. When I click on pics, I am directed to picture frames? Can you help me a bit with the link?
Old 11-14-2010, 04:18 PM   #4

See if this will help you: Picasa Web Albums - Nick - Roo Front Bunk
Momma Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 04:27 PM   #5

How to

Thank you so much. Hopefully this will get us started.
Old 11-14-2010, 08:34 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma Tac View Post
that's the one!
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 08:19 PM   #7

Nice to see them using safety glasses but that pair of channel lok pliers doesn't look like the proper wrench!! LOL!!
baldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 02:50 PM   #8

Is this kit still available from FR. I have a 2002 Roo that seems to have some leaking issues due to poorly designed rain protection on the bunks. It looks like I will need to completely rebuild my front bunk.

With that I want to give it the BEST water/Rain protection I can.

Any help is appreciated. I can send pics tonight if it would help.
2008 Pontiac G6
Xtrmtj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:22 PM   #9

I also have a 2002 and contacted Forest River.they do not have the kit for older campers...but can sell you all the pieces. They also gave me a price to replace the entire door...which is what we r going to do. The door is 330 plus shipping
mousefn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousefn
I also have a 2002 and contacted Forest River.they do not have the kit for older campers...but can sell you all the pieces. They also gave me a price to replace the entire door...which is what we r going to do. The door is 330 plus shipping
So what are you getting for 330 plus shipping exactly?

The rain protection is poor on this design....any ideas out there guys for a 2002 camper?
2008 Pontiac G6
Old 09-10-2012, 08:34 PM   #11

for 330 it includes the door frame, the core, new hinge, and whatever necessary to install. Our front bunk is really bad ...it appears the previous owner or 1st owner tried to rplace the core and did not do such a good job as our middle of the bed fell thru last weekend. Plus our frame is split at the bottom. So we r goignfor the whole door...luckily we live about 2 hours from the factory and can pick it up.
We r also trying to figure out how we can cover that hinge...it seems to be where the water gets in
Old 09-10-2012, 08:36 PM   #12

I actually ordered the replacement seal kit for my last camper but never ended up installing it. I can't remember what I paid for it all, but it's sitting in a box in the garage. If your interested, I can take inventory of what I actually have and send a couple pics.

I found a quick fix and didn't end up needed the replacement kit just by putting 1/4" rubber spacers in between the latch and the bunk end frame and it made the old gasket work just fine.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:47 PM   #13

I wish FR would step in here with a good fix, they quoted me $1400 for each bunk end to replace ALL.

can't afford to put that kind of $$$ in 2002 camper.
2008 Pontiac G6
Old 09-10-2012, 08:48 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty75
I actually ordered the replacement seal kit for my last camper but never ended up installing it. I can't remember what I paid for it all, but it's sitting in a box in the garage. If your interested, I can take inventory of what I actually have and send a couple pics.

I found a quick fix and didn't end up needed the replacement kit just by putting 1/4" rubber spacers in between the latch and the bunk end frame and it made the old gasket work just fine.
Smutty pm me the info please, mine is a 2002. What was yours for....year?
2008 Pontiac G6
Old 09-10-2012, 08:58 PM   #15

We just bought a 2006 Roo 233 - it appears to have the same leak issue so I'm hoping someone here can tell me who at Forest River would help me get the seal kit? I really want to fix it now - I'm not sure of e damage is bad enough to need a full replacement but I'm hoping I can get away with the seal but fear the worst. Also, was there an official recall on these?

Thanks
Jamesm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:39 PM   #16
kwillmott

I wish there was a recall as we had 2 bunks that leaked while it was closed and so much water got it every surface has mold and rot damage so our 3 year old trailer is ruined and toxic. There should be a recall on these leaking bunk ends. Our gutters were installed by the manufacturer to be flush with the black foam seals around the door so the water just got in and went all over the floor etc.... It has been a nightmare with the factory who said they would fix it. They ended up putting moldy wood back into the trailer and actually replacing things and leaving the black moldy wood in there. Too many owners are having this problem with leaking bunk ends why is there no recall there would be if it was a car. Why is it up to the owner to replace these bunk ourselves?
Old 09-10-2012, 10:04 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwillmott
I wish there was a recall as we had 2 bunks that leaked while it was closed and so much water got it every surface has mold and rot damage so our 3 year old trailer is ruined and toxic. There should be a recall on these leaking bunk ends. Our gutters were installed by the manufacturer to be flush with the black foam seals around the door so the water just got in and went all over the floor etc.... It has been a nightmare with the factory who said they would fix it. They ended up putting moldy wood back into the trailer and actually replacing things and leaving the black moldy wood in there. Too many owners are having this problem with leaking bunk ends why is there no recall there would be if it was a car. Why is it up to the owner to replace these bunk ourselves?
Agreed.....can a senior member or FR rep help this design FLAW?????

PLEASE HELP!!!!!
2008 Pontiac G6
Old 09-11-2012, 07:07 AM   #18

Below is the e-mail I received about what is included for 330.00 plus shipping...this is for a 2002 Roo. We are going to replace the whole front bed. I am curious though and will have to check if the hinge is a newer style or older, and if I still need the bunk end fix too/

THE BED/FRAME ASSEMBLY COMPLETE IS THE HINGE, FRAME AND INNER CORE. ESSENTIALLY, THE WHOLE PLATFORM THAT FOLDS DOWN THAT THE MATTRESS LAYS ON. THEY TAKE APPROXIMATELY 4-6 WEEKS. YES, YOU CAN PICK UP DIRECTLY FROM OUR PARTS PLANT. I WOULD NEED YOUR VIN# AND WHICH BED YOU NEED ORDERED.

Thanks,
Sheri Dunlap
Parts - Forest River, Inc.
Rockwood Parts - ROO / Mini Lite / Ultra Lite
sdunlap@forestriverinc.com
(574) 642-2640, ext 136
(574) 343-5947 direct fax to me
(EMAILS MAY BE IN ALL CAPS)
Old 09-12-2012, 10:22 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousefn

Below is the e-mail I received about what is included for 330.00 plus shipping...this is for a 2002 Roo. We are going to replace the whole front bed. I am curious though and will have to check if the hinge is a newer style or older, and if I still need the bunk end fix too/

THE BED/FRAME ASSEMBLY COMPLETE IS THE HINGE, FRAME AND INNER CORE. ESSENTIALLY, THE WHOLE PLATFORM THAT FOLDS DOWN THAT THE MATTRESS LAYS ON. THEY TAKE APPROXIMATELY 4-6 WEEKS. YES, YOU CAN PICK UP DIRECTLY FROM OUR PARTS PLANT. I WOULD NEED YOUR VIN# AND WHICH BED YOU NEED ORDERED.

Thanks,
Sheri Dunlap
Parts - Forest River, Inc.
Rockwood Parts - ROO / Mini Lite / Ultra Lite
sdunlap@forestriverinc.com
(574) 642-2640, ext 136
(574) 343-5947 direct fax to me
(EMAILS MAY BE IN ALL CAPS)
Do you know if the setup you will be getting to replace your damaged parts, will be of a different design to help eliminate the water damage in the future?

I would be interested to see how yours turns out, and any pros and cons to what you received. I feel I am going to have to do this also in near future.
2008 Pontiac G6
Old 09-12-2012, 10:35 AM   #20
kwillmott

I still can't believe that the owners are expected to make the installations themselves and incur the cost if replacement bunk ends and bed cores. What is to say it won't leak again? Be careful when our Roo was built they installed the gutter to be flush with the door seal on one of our side bunk doors and the leak started and created water damage and then mold damage. They should stop making this design. Too much money to spend on an investment that leaks due to the design.

Tags
roo