Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-10-2019, 10:46 AM   #21

Four (4) 6v batteries?! Hard enough to put two batteries on a Roo.

-- Chuck
Chuck_S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 06:10 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post
Four (4) 6v batteries?! Hard enough to put two batteries on a Roo.

-- Chuck
I found a 4 battery box that by measurements will fit behind the propane tanks if the tanks are shifted forward a couple inches. Welding would have to take place to install new support steel. I haven't done it yet but am seriously considering it. The one thing that bothers me is all that extra weight on the tongue, however, I would probably take off one of the propane tanks. We have never gone through a single 20lb tank on a trip, let alone 2.
joeuncool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 06:32 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeuncool View Post
I found a 4 battery box that by measurements will fit behind the propane tanks ....
One thing to note is that with 400+ AmpHours in that kind of bank...you need an 80-90amp charger(converter) & appropriate wiring to get the most efficient charging from a generator while boondocking. Minimum now rises to 40amps (10% of amp hours).
Post pic when you get it done!
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 01:11 PM   #24

I have four six volts installed. Believe I used the Lowe’s box shown earlier in this thread. An earlier poster was wondering if it holds four six volts; it does if you only use two plastic battery boxes as liners.

I had posted some pictures of Pop Up Gizmos and was asked about the box I think. Anyway, the link below has the model number of the box and a link to a thread where I got the idea.

Seems to work fine. No welding was required. Put angle below the box to take the weight without bending the box floor. As mentioned, propane tanks are moved forward, and box has to leave room for lid to open. The shape of the box works well as there is still room to get to the weight distribution bars.

We have two solar panels and have a generator if required.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...s-66758-4.html

Will see if I have some better pictures of the install if folks are interested.

Cheers

Stu
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	65221A84-508C-438A-A9CF-1780AF0F7BFD.jpeg
Views:	103
Size:	432.1 KB
ID:	197003  
2011 Ford Econoline Club Wagon
stugilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 02:48 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Just a note that a TRUE deep cycle 12V pair of Group 31 batts provides virtually the same capacity as a pair of 6V's and one may continue to be used if one fails.
Typical golf cart pair= 210-220 amp hours at 12V
Typical DEEP CYCLE Grp31 12V pair = 210 amp hours.
There is NO worthwhile advantage to a PAIR or 6V's EXCEPT generally price since it is tough to find deals on group 31 12V batts compared to golf cart batts at the Club stores.
Opinions may vary on the risk of 6V's...but amp hours of true deep cycle performance is NOT an advantage of 6V pairs compared to a similarly constructed pair of group 31's.
I envy those with room for two big GR29 or 31 batteries, but those will not fit most trailer A frames and, usually, two big "6's" will.
NO MORE Tricked out
2017 Sandstorm 250 T.H.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 07:42 PM   #26

mounting 2 6 volt batteries

remember when doing this is almost all rv's are 12 volt systems. The 2 6 volt would have to connected in series. Doing so adds the voltage of each battery 6+6 = 12 however the available current stays the same, only what the smallest amp hour battery is capable of. A problem is with 2 six volt batteries is if one fails you are out of service. Mounting 2 12 volt batteries is a better way to go, they are in parallel so voltage stays the same but available current is the sum of both batteries. Converting to LED bulbs worked really well for me. The biggest draw now is the water pump. I can go for almost a week without recharging.
tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 10:15 PM   #27

Agree with the tool box from Lowes. I used it as pictured above and put two 6 volt batteries in it. It would hold more if I desired. I used the rest of the space for plastic tool boxes.
Captn.Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 06:25 AM   #28

I bought a tapered box from Harbor Freight for under $100. I had to slide the propane tanks forward, and cut a notch in the propane cover for the trailer jack. It holds 2 6v batteries nicely, with room for tools as well. I put a 100 watt solar panel on the roof, with a charge controller next to the batteries, and I can stay where ever for as long as I like. We don't run the heater all night, we use sleeping bags. In really rainy weather, I put an extra solar panel on the ground to catch the morning and evening sun. I don't carry my generator at all. Obviously, we don't boondocks where we need air conditioning.
Old 02-22-2019, 12:12 PM   #29
Trailer Park Supervisor

Here's the thread how I mounted mine behind propane tanks. http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...-173815-3.html
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, mount