Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2015, 01:53 PM   #21
Site Team

Whether on elec or lp it works much like a home wh. Comes on as necessary to keep the water hot.
And if someone said there is a pilot light, that's no so.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 02:23 PM   #22

UPDATE:

Okay, so here it is 3 hours later from when I first started the LP for my refrigerator.

Thanks to all who have helped along the way with your amazing advice and suggestions. Truly appreciated, and will keep them with me for future needs / purposes.

Starting out @ 11 am my room temp was 66 degrees, and also in the fridge. Of course, I keep the HTT under a Carport so that helps ward off the suns heat. BTW, it's a beautiful fall day out today. Love this weather!

After initially starting the LP and letting it run for 3 hours the temp in the fridge fell to 40 degrees. Not bad actually. I'm quite impressed at how little time it took. Seems like it took longer for it to cool down when it was plugged into shore power. Hmmm, that will be another experiment.

All in all, I am impressed now that I know EVERYTHING works as it should within my HTT. Happy Camper here. Thanks all.....
2019 Flagstaff HW29SC ( sold )
2017 Salem Cruise Lite 232RBXL ( sold )
2014 Ford 150 XLT 5.0 2wd
Briorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 02:34 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheatwood View Post
Whether on elec or lp it works much like a home wh. Comes on as necessary to keep the water hot.
Yeah, my WH in the HTT works like our home one does. I was asking about the LP for the refrigerator. If it was sort of like being an "on demand" type when it cycles off and on? I am guessing the internal temp senses when their is a need for more propane? A bit unsure of how this actually works.

Although, in thinking with mine, is must be a constant flow of propane and it keeps the refrigerator at a constant setting since their is no adjustable temp settings. Must be an internal pre-set temp that it reaches and that's it.

I do know that my freezer surely freezes well. I had to take the meat outside and let it thaw under the heat of the sun. LOL
Old 08-24-2015, 02:46 PM   #24
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briorick View Post
bikendan, I have a Dometic in this 2000 HTT. But seeing it is a Shamrock possibly makes the difference of what model was installed back then.
well, Shamrocks would be the same, since they are twin brands.
your Dometic doesn't look like the ones in newer Roos/Shamrocks. it looked more like a Norcold model, from your pic, but maybe the two brands were more similar that far back.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 02:59 PM   #25

Quote:

That was me. I should have said that he could possibly see the burner tube when it was lit by removing the outside cover. You can on mine. I said "pilot" as a generic term. You know, old habits die hard. I tend to say "pilot light" on anything that is LP. Hope it didn't cause any confusion.
By the way, that indoor/outdoor thermometer is reading 74! Better put the beer on ice!
Old 08-24-2015, 04:01 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by howie70 View Post
That was me. I should have said that he could possibly see the burner tube when it was lit by removing the outside cover. You can on mine. I said "pilot" as a generic term. You know, old habits die hard. I tend to say "pilot light" on anything that is LP. Hope it didn't cause any confusion.
By the way, that indoor/outdoor thermometer is reading 74! Better put the beer on ice!
Ha Ha Ha, Don't feel too bad, I am "old school" myself in my terminology at times. I'm a late 50's baby. Confuses the heck out of people at times. But hey, I know what I mean.

BTW, I did see the flame ( I had to find the flame ) after I took the burner cover off. I heard the clicking of the igniter and had to dig deeper to locate and see the spark. Maybe a Pilot Light would have been easier. LOL

You, along with others, gave great advice.... and I was able to accomplish my LP task. Cheers!
Old 08-24-2015, 06:02 PM   #27

Quote:
Like booboo said. Turn on early, load with cold items after its cooled. If you put a 12 pack of drinks or water bottles in it that are room temp, they'll pull the temp up a good bit for a while.
You may notice, as many on here have mentioned, that it cools better on lp than elec. ??? I have an indoor/outdoor thermometer that i travel with. Put the outdoor sensor in the frig and monitor the frig temp with the master unit. See pic. Good luck and happy camping.
I took this idea one step further, & purchased a unit that 2 remotes. One in fridge & one in the freezer. The monitor has magnets on the back, & placed it on the side of the range hood, across from the fridge. Great to glance at it when we're coming or going out. It also has alarms for each that you can set.
ACE110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 07:32 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briorick View Post
While we were out relaxing this weekend I was trying to figure out how to operate the refrigerator using the LP. We have always used the electric aspect of it, but would like to know how to operate it utilizing the LP should we ever decide to dry camp.

Other than, I am stumped! More curious, but nonetheless still stumped!
Briorick, Just a quick comment on the use of LP. Turn on the bottle of propane, then before I attempt to turn on the fridge on LP, I always open lid to stove top and light a couple of burners. You will have to wait a short time until the air leaves the lines and then the burner will light. I let the burner stay lit for a few minutes then I'm sure most of the air is out of the line. There may still be some air left in the line to the fridge but it is usually quicker to light off after I have lit the stove top. When you attempt to start the fridge you usually can hear a clicking sound as the auto igniter tries to light the propane. That usually happens quicker when there is less air in the line. Hope this helps.
floridela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 08:13 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridela View Post
Briorick, Just a quick comment on the use of LP. Turn on the bottle of propane, then before I attempt to turn on the fridge on LP, I always open lid to stove top and light a couple of burners. You will have to wait a short time until the air leaves the lines and then the burner will light. I let the burner stay lit for a few minutes then I'm sure most of the air is out of the line. There may still be some air left in the line to the fridge but it is usually quicker to light off after I have lit the stove top. When you attempt to start the fridge you usually can hear a clicking sound as the auto igniter tries to light the propane. That usually happens quicker when there is less air in the line. Hope this helps.

Thanks Floridela,

Excellent description. I never thought I would ever use the LP for the fridge being we were always hooked to the shore power at the camp sites, but then I got to thinking.... "if we ever want to just get away and go boondocking some weekend, we need to know more about the operations of the LP for the fridge". Everything else came pretty easy, and now this just puts the icing on the cake.

BTW, I was tickled when I heard that clicking noise coming from the backside of the fridge. And even more tickled when I seen the flame.

It's the little things that make us happy!
Old 08-25-2015, 08:05 AM   #30
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by howie70 View Post

Ha. Yeah I had referred to the burner as pilot light- like. As in it looks similar to a pilot light. I think the op has a good understanding now.
I use my indoor/outdoor thermometer for double duty. When the frig is on its in the frig. When parked at home I put the sensor in the rockwood kitchen and bring the base inside. That's where it is now and why the temps are higher. Caught a bad thermostat like that recently. Got up one morning and the base showed 57° in the camper. It was 88° outside and thermostat was set at 80°. Replaced it with digital. All good now.

Old 08-25-2015, 08:08 AM   #31
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACE110 View Post
I took this idea one step further, & purchased a unit that 2 remotes. One in fridge & one in the freezer. The monitor has magnets on the back, & placed it on the side of the range hood, across from the fridge. Great to glance at it when we're coming or going out. It also has alarms for each that you can set.
Great idea ace. Maybe you can share the brand or show a picture or it for us. Thanks.

Old 08-25-2015, 08:37 AM   #32

Quote:

X2 on the model name and picture.

BTW, Pretty ingenious and creative way for using these, and for easily monitoring the fridge temps. I would have never given it a thought. Pretty nifty!

I was looking online last night at all the indoor / outdoor thermometers. Lots to choose from. Looks like I'm going shopping.
Old 08-25-2015, 08:55 AM   #33

Quote:
ACE110- where did you get said unit? Thx

2015 Coachmen Prism 24J MBS
USN-R '01-present
MarsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 02:56 PM   #34

In reference to the thermometer I mentioned earlier. Don't have any pics of the thermometer, & rv is at the dealer. But it 's a AcuRite 00986, made just for the fridge/freezer. Got it from Amazon, $27 I believe. You do need to use Lithium batteries in the freezer, as regular batteries don't last long. Have been real satisfied with it.

Even put the base unit in the garage this past winter, just to keep an eye on temp in rv. It was parked within a few feet of the garage.
ACE110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 03:39 PM   #35

I have the same one that ACE110 has. Love it!
Amazon.com - AcuRite 00986 Refrigerator/Freezer Wireless Digital Thermometer - Freezer Alarm
Old 08-25-2015, 06:31 PM   #36
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob213 View Post
Nice. Think I'll get one, but I'll use it for frig and outdoor temps. In my experience, if the frig is hanging around 35° the freezer is fine at around 0-20°. Thanks for info.

Tags
refrigerator