Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2015, 12:13 AM   #1

How to use the LP on my refrigerator????

While we were out relaxing this weekend I was trying to figure out how to operate the refrigerator using the LP. We have always used the electric aspect of it, but would like to know how to operate it utilizing the LP should we ever decide to dry camp.

Here is a picture, although not a frontal ( sorry ) , just to show the type I have.

The push tab settings across the top are ( Off/ On ) ( Auto / Check ) ( Tab Button UP for LP, and Tab Button down for Electrical ).

We looked outside, on the backside of refrigerator and was curious as how to activate this thing. Not sure if it is an electrical igniter or not, as we didn't see any way to light it.

I did notice that the LP gas ( brass indicator ) was turned to the "ON" position. The refrigerator has an automatic sensor to sense when the HTT is plugged into the electrical and uses this as its first choice of power source.

Other than, I am stumped! More curious, but nonetheless still stumped!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10689775_698360236938143_1857606984577013567_n.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	86697  
2019 Flagstaff HW29SC ( sold )
2017 Salem Cruise Lite 232RBXL ( sold )
2014 Ford 150 XLT 5.0 2wd
Briorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 12:20 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

On ours we just leave it in auto and turn on the LP. When we are plugged in, it will operate in electric, when we are not it runs in battery and LP. Mine doesn't have the up down toggle for LP and electric.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 12:45 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by asquared View Post
On ours we just leave it in auto and turn on the LP. When we are plugged in, it will operate in electric, when we are not it runs in battery and LP. Mine doesn't have the up down toggle for LP and electric.

Am curious! Does yours make any noticeable sounds indicating it is in LP mode, or does it just start cooling? I am wondering because I did have it in the LP mode and not a peep. I just wasn't sure if I was expecting any sounds or not. I will have to attempt it again and see what happens, if anything. I was wondering if I needed some sort of battery or power source to start it, if indeed it has an internal igniter.

The mystery unfolds. Thanks asquared.

* Update....found the manual online, so will follow the LP lighting recommendations and give'er a try. Keeping them fingers crossed.
Old 08-24-2015, 05:16 AM   #4

Tha refrigerator button on position and the other button on auto or gas. Works great! Seems like it takes a bit longer to cool. I can't hear it running. Ours will make ice cubes but it just takes a little longer.
2015 23ikss
syogerst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 05:24 AM   #5
Site Team

You'll hardly hear it running on lp as there are no moving parts and only a small pilot light-like flame. After setting it to on/gas, you can hear (from outside vent) a clicking sound as the 12v ignitor lights the burner. After a minute you can feel the heat around the metal heat shield on the right side in the rear of the frig.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 05:53 AM   #6
Site Team

Looks like a Norcold, not a Dometic, so can't help you. Sorry.
Roos since at least 2006, have Dometics.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 07:48 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheatwood View Post
You'll hardly hear it running on lp as there are no moving parts and only a small pilot light-like flame. After setting it to on/gas, you can hear (from outside vent) a clicking sound as the 12v ignitor lights the burner. After a minute you can feel the heat around the metal heat shield on the right side in the rear of the frig.
Ditto what cheatwood said.
I will also add that on mine, if you take the fridge cover off the outside and look back in there you should be able to see the pilot. It's possible you may have a guard blocking it though, but you can try. Also when getting ready to switch over to gas, I always light a burner on my stove top to get the gas is flowing. Otherwise, sometimes it will take several tries before lighting.
Old 08-24-2015, 11:27 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Looks like a Norcold, not a Dometic, so can't help you. Sorry.
Roos since at least 2006, have Dometics.

bikendan, I have a Dometic in this 2000 HTT. But seeing it is a Shamrock possibly makes the difference of what model was installed back then.
Old 08-24-2015, 11:36 AM   #9

Many thanks for the help and guidance syogerst, dcheatwood and howie70.

Downloaded the users manual but the assistance I got from you 3 were worth its weight in gold in getting me up and going here.

I love days when things just fall into place. Happy Camper....AGAIN!
We are up and running. Now I am timing it to see how long it takes to get to cool the refrigerator.

Thanks again. Most appreciative.
Old 08-24-2015, 11:42 AM   #10

Glad you got it working and glad you posted a follow up!
Old 08-24-2015, 11:48 AM   #11

Plug your TT in the day before you leave on your trip and let it cool down. Leave it on automatic and it will switch to LP when you unplug and will keep the frig cool while you are traveling and then plug it back in at the campground if you have electricity, to save the LP. The only thing you can hear when on LP is when the flame ignites.
Camped 2016-71, 2017-33, 2018-29 booked
KT4W
BooBoo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 12:19 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooBoo23 View Post
Plug your TT in the day before you leave on your trip and let it cool down. Leave it on automatic and it will switch to LP when you unplug and will keep the frig cool while you are traveling and then plug it back in at the campground if you have electricity, to save the LP. The only thing you can hear when on LP is when the flame ignites.

Thanks BooBoo23......In the past we have always done just that, plug in at least a day in advance, and then re-plug when we get to our destination. Never give a thought to wanting to utilize the LP though......

until just recently my Sherlock Holmes moment had been kicking in regarding the LP feature. We humans are tooooo curious for our own good at times.

I wasn't sure about the LP aspect of it while driving. Didn't know if it was a good thing ( still learning about the LP usage ) to have lit, or if it would blow out while driving down the road. But now I'm glad to know I can set it and go. You answered that question for me.

I sure appreciate all the input. Makes me feel more like a semi-pro camper everyday and when someone asks me for info, I can hopefully return a helpful gesture with all I've learned from here.
Old 08-24-2015, 12:31 PM   #13
Mod free 5er

We leave our Norcold on Auto and it switches automatically from 120v to propane. No pilot light on ours. Burner is either on or off, but no pilot light.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 12:34 PM   #14

Auto position works fine. But...when you are running the AC and other high draw items you may find it better to run the water heater and refrig. on LP to keep from throwing a breaker.
Old 08-24-2015, 12:40 PM   #15

Briorick
Your Dometic refrigerator Is automatic when the switch is turned on and the auto light is lit. IF you are plugged into AC power it will run on Ac electric. Unless you turn on the gas button, which forces it to gas. This allows you to draw less amps if you are using your AC, water heater on elect. and your Microwave. Add all these up and you would be over the 30 amp. supply. Also , if you switch from electric to gas after the refrig has been running for some time do not expect to see any flame right away. The electronic ignition models of today do not have a pilot. when the thermostat senses a need the igniter will start sparking and the gas valve will open and ignite . WARNING if you are running with the refrigerator on automatic while on the road, the igniter could try igniting whie you are refueling.
hillsdaletc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 01:23 PM   #16
Site Team

Like booboo said. Turn on early, load with cold items after its cooled. If you put a 12 pack of drinks or water bottles in it that are room temp, they'll pull the temp up a good bit for a while.
You may notice, as many on here have mentioned, that it cools better on lp than elec. ??? I have an indoor/outdoor thermometer that i travel with. Put the outdoor sensor in the frig and monitor the frig temp with the master unit. See pic. Good luck and happy camping.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1440440600411.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	86740  

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 01:28 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
We leave our Norcold on Auto and it switches automatically from 120v to propane. No pilot light on ours. Burner is either on or off, but no pilot light.
Same here I have learned as well. No Pilot Light, just a burner. At first, I was under the impression it was going to be like operating our water heater. Actually much easier than I anticipated.
Good news is my temps went down 20 degrees ( 66 to 46 ) in 2 1/2 hours. Not bad....I am impressed. I have read that LP refrigerators don't use much LP....is this correct?
Old 08-24-2015, 01:32 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob213 View Post
Auto position works fine. But...when you are running the AC and other high draw items you may find it better to run the water heater and refrig. on LP to keep from throwing a breaker.
Thanks Bob, good to know because just this past weekend we had to rely on the A/C pretty much due to the humidity. And I had never given it a thought of what you had stated with an overload. Great advice....I will definitely keep that in mind for future outings.
Old 08-24-2015, 01:38 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheatwood View Post
Like booboo said. Turn on early, load with cold items after its cooled. If you put a 12 pack of drinks or water bottles in it that are room temp, they'll pull the temp up a good bit for a while.
You may notice, as many on here have mentioned, that it cools better on lp than elec. ??? I have an indoor/outdoor thermometer that i travel with. Put the outdoor sensor in the frig and monitor the frig temp with the master unit. See pic. Good luck and happy camping.

Yeah, we have learned that nothing "room temp' gets transferred into the fridge until after it has cooled down. We try and pre-cool our drinks beforehand, if possible. Ice chest are perfect for those type items.

I have a freezer thermometer hanging in the refrig now that I keep tabs on, but am liking such a gadget as yours in the picture. Sure would be handier. I'll check into it. Thanks for the info.
Old 08-24-2015, 01:45 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillsdaletc View Post
Briorick
Your Dometic refrigerator Is automatic when the switch is turned on and the auto light is lit. IF you are plugged into AC power it will run on Ac electric. Unless you turn on the gas button, which forces it to gas. This allows you to draw less amps if you are using your AC, water heater on elect. and your Microwave. Add all these up and you would be over the 30 amp. supply. Also , if you switch from electric to gas after the refrig has been running for some time do not expect to see any flame right away. The electronic ignition models of today do not have a pilot. when the thermostat senses a need the igniter will start sparking and the gas valve will open and ignite . WARNING if you are running with the refrigerator on automatic while on the road, the igniter could try igniting whie you are refueling.

So basically it works along the same line as an "on demand" when it senses it needs to start cooling again? YES?

Yeah, I would think NOT having it try to light while traveling would be a good thing as well.

Wow, I have learned a great deal about this LP function. Thanks for the info. A good day for learning.

Tags
refrigerator