Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2015, 06:51 AM   #21
Site Team

Once or twice a year, when leaving a cg I hook up the black rinse hose, open the drain and let it run for half hour or so while we pack up and hook up. Put black tank chemical in after each dump. No other treatment needed.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 07:01 AM   #22

Nothing but plain ol' water...and plenty of it.
Back flush after every dump and that's it!
No need for pricey chemicals.
Chemicals and bacteria both need time to digest the solids, and this is not happening over a few days.
Waste of money in my opinion
***3rd GENERATION EGG FARMER***
***WHO MADE YOUR EGGS TODAY ?
Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 07:11 AM   #23
Engineer of Crazy Train

I like to treat my black tank with dignity and respect.
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 07:15 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicked1 View Post
I have used these on my older used RV and now on my New Roo with great success but then again I flush all my tanks before I leave each campground until my water is crystal clear. These have kept any smells even with waste sitting in my black tank for 2 weeks in between trips. Always put 1-2 gallons of water in before dropping one down the Toilet, also never touch them with wet hands they will stick to your hands

Attachment 79560

Usually CW or Walmart has them for $9.00 for 10 pouches

2014 F150 FX4 Crew 4X4 EB
2015 Roo 23IKSS

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
We use those in the blue. Haven't seen the purple.

I am curious to the reasoning behind not using your campers bathroom for some? I paid a pretty penny for my rig. I'm using all the features I can.
Old 06-15-2015, 07:34 AM   #25
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChooChooMan74 View Post
I bet you think that about all your tanks.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 08:08 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChooChooMan74 View Post
I would like to be able to say the same, but honestly, I treat mine pretty crappy. I should a apologize when I get home.
Old 06-15-2015, 08:22 AM   #27

One of the best parts of having a camper is also having your own bathroom. You folks who practice the "no #2 rule" are cheating yourselves unless you'll be parked without dump facilities for more than just a short stay. RV toilets are meant to be used, and with proper care and flushing, are generally trouble-free.

For short outings like 3 or 4 days, there doesn't seem to be any reason to use black tank chemicals. After years of camping, usually without using chemicals, I've never detected an odor problem, and have never had a clogged tank. This all changes when dry camping for longer periods.

Many of us have seen the youtube video demonstrating how useless it is to put ice cubes in the black tank. I dare someone to do a similar demonstration with short-term use of toilet chemicals.
frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 08:42 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by howie70 View Post
We use those in the blue. Haven't seen the purple.

I am curious to the reasoning behind not using your campers bathroom for some? I paid a pretty penny for my rig. I'm using all the features I can.

We use it most times but if we are at a campground with really nice bathrooms and showers we will use those. GF has a teen daughter who will make a mess with the shower and then say I didn't know, so with her and her friends we tend to let them use the CG bathrooms for showers.

2015 Roo 23IKSS

Old 06-15-2015, 10:14 AM   #29

I have been using the Geo-Method for years.
https://sites.google.com/site/cbruni/

Black Tanks are Not septic tanks .
I can not believe all those promises the packaged RV tank chemicals brag about....except maybe they mask the smell.

IMHO*...On the average time it takes to fill a black tank before it needs to be emptied...(4~6 days for 2 people)...there is no way that any chemical is going to 'break down' the solids. *dry camping excluded

All I can say with certainty is that the Geo-Method works (period).
It is Effective & Economical.

If you are having problems with your tank gages not reading correctly...the Geo-Method will help with that ...by cleaning off the probes (see my tips below)

Tips ...that I find that help by using the Geo-Method when you have full hook-up and to eliminate potential problems...
1) don't be afraid to use lots of 'flush water' ...keeping the solids covered with water (in the tank) will minimise odors.
2) do not wait for the solids to 'mountain' in the tank before you drain.
3) before you drain...fill the black tank with water...this will help wash out the solids in the corners.
4) when choosing the type of 'powdered laundry soap'....the cheapest is usually the best, as it often has more fragrance , or you can opt to be more ecologic in your choice if you want.
5) Important ..Drain & Rise all holding tanks before leaving the CG..then add 1- cup of each Laundry Soap & Calgon to a large pail of water...put this same mixture in each holding tank. The sloshing in the tanks while driving will clean and lube the surfaces.<this really helps!

In short: the Geo-Method works like this...
- the soap offers some suds to clean and a fragrance/cover-up
- the Calgon (water softener) coats the inside of the tanks and probes to eliminate sticking. If your probes are covered with debris it may take a couple fills and flushes to clean them.

Only use the Geo-Method in the Black and Gray holding tanks (Not the Water Tank).
What do you have to loose... try it...save some $$'s

Hope this helps
Islander
Edge programmer, 4" SS exhaust turbo/back,
Tru-Cool Max Trans Cooler, Bilstein Shocks
Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 10:29 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicked1 View Post
I have used these on my older used RV and now on my New Roo with great success but then again I flush all my tanks before I leave each campground until my water is crystal clear. These have kept any smells even with waste sitting in my black tank for 2 weeks in between trips. Always put 1-2 gallons of water in before dropping one down the Toilet, also never touch them with wet hands they will stick to your hands

Attachment 79560

Usually CW or Walmart has them for $9.00 for 10 pouches

2015 Roo 23IKSS

X2
Use the same thing with a touch of laundry soap. I use Tide Pods if they are available or squeeze in some Dawn. The tank seems clean when I rinse it but the sensors are still toast.

Bill

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 10:42 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by bend302 View Post
X2
Use the same thing with a touch of laundry soap. I use Tide Pods if they are available or squeeze in some Dawn. The tank seems clean when I rinse it but the sensors are still toast.

Bill

I only use the drop ins when we are at a campground for days with 2-4 ppl using the toilet it helps keep the tank clean. Before I leave the campground I fill and empty the black tank with clean water, by the 2nd dump water is clear. I put some dawn in the bowl and 1-2 gallons of fresh water to slosh when driving and keep odors out when it sits in the driveway, works perfectly.

I have yet to find Calgon for a low price. I found 80 ounces for $29.99 at ShopRite so not cheap but if you clean and maintain a lot of fresh water in your tanks they stay clean and odor free.

Lack of Maintenance and use of something to break down the solids will cause issues. IMO.

2015 Roo 23IKSS

Old 06-15-2015, 11:57 AM   #32

Thought my sensors were toast too...

We bought our new to us 2014 23IKSS, and THOUGHT the tanks would be or should be pretty empty because the PO had de-winterized it for us. Welllllll....let's just say that it's a good thing I put a 5 gallon bucket under the waste outlet pipe. EWWWWWWWWWW! They left their poo in the my Roo -and lots of it! Stupid me, I didn't check the sensors and after reading all the posts about them not working, I don't know if I would have trusted them anyway. The gray tank was full and Naaassttyyy. After getting over the urge to call the PO and blast him, I researched dump stations near us. Nothing, as this was in March and we were still under feet of snow here in CT.

Finally, it warms up, the dump station opens up and off we go. What a hot mess! Me on the inside with my tank swisher thingy, hubs on the outside turning water on and off, opening and closing the valves so I can fill the tanks over and over to rinse. When everything was said and done...and empty except for some water and cleaner we went back home and awaited our first camping trip. Sensors still read 2/3 full.

After cleaning again at the campground, and pouring this product into the tanks Amazon.com: Happy Campers Organic RV Holding Tank Treatment - small 18oz jar (18-treatments) for RV, Marine, Camping, Portable Toilets.: Automotive, we drove home, stopped at the dump station again, drained and and finally the sensors read empty!! They are still working great, and I think our poo is OUR poo now!

Name:   download.jpg
Views: 622
Size:  10.8 KB

2014 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
2012 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi 4X4
Me, Hubby and Luna the Lab
sewingcybermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 12:14 PM   #33

Regardless of what you use (Although I am a HUGE fan of the GEO method + I add Superclean) This is just about the slickest thing out there! I picked ours up at Goshen last year but they sell direct and on Amazon I believe:
Chemical Dispensing Systems for RV & Marine | Blue Streak LLC
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 12:25 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewingcybermom View Post
We bought our new to us 2014 23IKSS, and THOUGHT the tanks would be or should be pretty empty because the PO had de-winterized it for us. Welllllll....let's just say that it's a good thing I put a 5 gallon bucket under the waste outlet pipe. EWWWWWWWWWW! They left their poo in the my Roo -and lots of it! Stupid me, I didn't check the sensors and after reading all the posts about them not working, I don't know if I would have trusted them anyway. The gray tank was full and Naaassttyyy. After getting over the urge to call the PO and blast him, I researched dump stations near us. Nothing, as this was in March and we were still under feet of snow here in CT.

Finally, it warms up, the dump station opens up and off we go. What a hot mess! Me on the inside with my tank swisher thingy, hubs on the outside turning water on and off, opening and closing the valves so I can fill the tanks over and over to rinse. When everything was said and done...and empty except for some water and cleaner we went back home and awaited our first camping trip. Sensors still read 2/3 full.

After cleaning again at the campground, and pouring this product into the tanks Amazon.com: Happy Campers Organic RV Holding Tank Treatment - small 18oz jar (18-treatments) for RV, Marine, Camping, Portable Toilets.: Automotive, we drove home, stopped at the dump station again, drained and and finally the sensors read empty!! They are still working great, and I think our poo is OUR poo now!

Attachment 80007

That's a crappy deal....lol. Glad it all turned out well can't believe someone would not have cleaned their RV like that. I bought a used Shasta and the first thing I had done was rinse and empty all tanks several times just to be sure things were clean bc the dealer lied to us and told us it was winterized, good thing nothing went wrong. We bought a new 2015 Roo 23IKSS this year and I always flush the system and make sure the water is clear before closing it up to sit in the driveway.

Your the second person I heard of who likes Happy Camper stuff, I might try that sometime.

Enjoy your Roo and glad everything is fine after that ordeal.

2015 Roo 23IKSS

Old 06-15-2015, 12:49 PM   #35

If we are only camping for a few days, I don't add anything to the black tank.
When we dump I'll run several cycles with the black flush, closing the valve for a minute or two if no one is waiting behind me. If we are going to be camping for a full week or longer in the summer, I'll add a bit of chemical for odor insurance.

We do use paper in ours but try to minimize the amount.
We wipe all dishes into a trash can with paper towels prior to washing them, to reduce food residue going into the gray tank. If we are staying long we have a rubber maid pan that fits into the sink and wash dishes there.

I don't pay much attention to what the sensors say, experience has taught me to know about how long each tank will last. We purchased our current TT new and no better than the sensors read then, I don't see the point in special treatment to try and make them work better.
Old 06-15-2015, 12:50 PM   #36
Site Team

We've had very good results using Odorlos, for the past 8+ years we've owned our Roo.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black, black tank, tank