Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2016, 10:56 AM   #1

Humidity and heat

We just got the 233s. Curious how the AC performs with high humidity and heat? We upgraded to 15k AC. Anyone with experience running the AC in humidity and heat and how cool can it keep the trailer?
Kaboingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 11:29 AM   #2

Solar blankets or PUG's over the tent ends will help. Plus I would suggest doing the Reflectix mod in the bunk windows. We did both when we had our hybrid and even with our standard 13.5K AC unit the inside was quite comfortable. Both do a great job of retaining heat when running he furnace too.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 03:21 PM   #3

I find the 13.5 to be perfect for my DK and I can always close one end if I need to be a little more aggressive. As Wisc said the reflectix makes a noticeable difference. I ordered Ecofoil because it is a midwest company providing it and they give me scraps but same difference. I bet your 15k will be excellent at your larger size. In my experience it is almost better if it has to run longer and with our hybrids it often does.
Old 03-25-2016, 10:10 PM   #4

Add my vote to pugs and the reflectix mod, we go to myrtle beach twice a year in our 233s and they make a big difference, especially for the rear bunk.
theengle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 11:36 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RooVader View Post
I find the 13.5 to be perfect for my DK and I can always close one end if I need to be a little more aggressive. As Wisc said the reflectix makes a noticeable difference. I ordered Ecofoil because it is a midwest company providing it and they give me scraps but same difference. I bet your 15k will be excellent at your larger size. In my experience it is almost better if it has to run longer and with our hybrids it often does.

13.5K works perfectly on my 23IKSS with both ends open and both slides out in direct sunlight because I hate shade. I usually have to turn AC up bc it gets like the Antarctic in the Roo
Old 03-29-2016, 11:41 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaboingy View Post
We just got the 233s. Curious how the AC performs with high humidity and heat? We upgraded to 15k AC. Anyone with experience running the AC in humidity and heat and how cool can it keep the trailer?
Our ac cools our trailer and keeps it cold- even in the Mid-July air so thick you can almost swim heat and humidity. There were several times that we turned it off because we were too cold! We do use dehumidifiers inside.

ETA: Whoops didn't see that this was posted in the hybrid section. We don't have a hybrid.

Run Free Sweet Riley 2009-2015

Visit our blog for more information and details!
www.kels4g.com
Kels4g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 07:08 PM   #7

Sorry to say I have failed to join the PUG's & reflectix crowd...I TOTALY understand the reasoning for both, but have simply not had the patience nor desire to add more to our normal 233 stock configuration. As a pretty much strictly Florida (HOTTT & HUMIDDDD) camper I can report that stock canvas ends in direct sunlight (non-shaded campsite) will warm up without those add-on's....but our stock 13.5 AC does just fine as we aren't typically sleeping during the day anyway. In a shaded campsite, even during mid day the tent ends can be cold if you run the AC cool enough, for me not a problem especially since the electricity bill is not metered while I camp!

Ed & Chris, Empty Nesters (missing Josh & Jaclyn)
along with Blue & Tessa, Cat Explorers!
2020 Rockwood Roo 235s
2019 F-250 Diesel 4x4 Super Duty
ebemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 08:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebemis View Post
Sorry to say I have failed to join the PUG's & reflectix crowd...I TOTALY understand the reasoning for both, but have simply not had the patience nor desire to add more to our normal 233 stock configuration. As a pretty much strictly Florida (HOTTT & HUMIDDDD) camper I can report that stock canvas ends in direct sunlight (non-shaded campsite) will warm up without those add-on's....but our stock 13.5 AC does just fine as we aren't typically sleeping during the day anyway. In a shaded campsite, even during mid day the tent ends can be cold if you run the AC cool enough, for me not a problem especially since the electricity bill is not metered while I camp!

I am all stock too no Pugs or Reflectix, I don't have issues but if one of my ends is in direct sunlight I sometimes close them just so the AC doesn't have to work hard in the day, but always sleep in them at night
Old 03-30-2016, 06:41 AM   #9

I have pugs and a 13.5K A/C unit and it works fine. At times I have to adjust the temperature up as it's too cold. No problem with keeping the trailer cold.

2017 GMC SLT HD All Terrain Crew Cab (6' 6" Box) 2012 Roo 23SS
E2 Trunnion WDH (1,000 lb / 10,000 lb)
Dave Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 07:21 AM   #10

The foil wrap is so cheap you should try it once...amazing what a difference it can make. That said I have run naked canvas many times as well and I totally agree...the ac had no trouble keeping cool.
Old 04-01-2016, 09:48 AM   #11
Broken Toe

I have the 15K on my 21SSL. We usually run only one bunk open, but occasionally run with both. The A/C keeps the body of the camper very cool on even the hottest days, but the bunk ends can get warm in the direct sunlight. The canvas will get hot to the touch from the sun, and that warms the bunk end area up.

PUGS almost totally eliminates that condition. I keep a cheap $16 box fan going all day as well just to keep the air moving around. While I like shady spots as much as the next guy, I no longer fear direct sunlight like I did with my old Class "A". That thing was an oven in direct sun.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 12:02 PM   #12

We have a 2015 Shamrock 19fd with 13.5 AC. Even in Carolina sun, the AC is awesome. It keeps everything cool. However, you have to run it on high during high outside humidity and adjust the temperature control or the unit will freeze up. Just FYI
bkc19922 is offline   Reply With Quote