Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2011, 07:08 PM   #1

Husky "combo" hitch

Has anyone heard of this hitch or have any experience with it? It's the hitch that my dealer wants to put on my trailer, says he puts it on everyone's, and hasn't had any complaints. It is NOT the centerline.
Irgrrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 07:31 PM   #2
one day at a time

I've never heard of it. I don't know much about them except I think my dealer cheaped out and I need to upgrade to a new hitch. The one installed with my trailer doesn't even have a brand name on it and its a friction sway. I am leaning towards maybe a Blue Ox.
Idle_Idylist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 11:09 AM   #3
Site Team

without the actual Husky model, it's hard to have an opinion.
but if the dealer is trying to sell you a WDH with a friction anti-sway bar, that is considered a lower-end basic WDH.
that type of WDH can't compare with a WDH like the Reese Dual-Cam or the Equal-i-zer.

there's a current thread about someone with a Husky-type of WDH, upgrading to an Equal-i-zer and how big a difference it made for them.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 07:58 PM   #4

Thanks again everyone. Insisted on equalizer.
Irgrrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 10:32 AM   #5
Campfire Starter

I too am buying a new Rockwood Roo and the dealer has also recommeded and made a better good deal on the husky WDH. Made the same statement about putting them on many campers with no complaints. I don't know the model but I am guessing it is the lower end and he did say it is the type with chains and a seperate anti- sway bar. I have a couple of weeks before I can pick it up so I will research more. I would much rather pay little extra now, but have never used a WDH to know better.
Fx4dugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 11:28 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

There is much to learn, but the best way to start is to buy a brand name like the Equal-i-zer 4-way or the Reese Dual Cam or Blue Ox and learn everything there is to know about it.

Getting back to the OP's dealer; there is a reason they don't have complaints from their customers. Unfortunately, many campers are unaware of what a good towing experience should feel like and they think the white-knuckle experience is normal.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 01:19 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fx4dugan View Post
I too am buying a new Rockwood Roo and the dealer has also recommeded and made a better good deal on the husky WDH. Made the same statement about putting them on many campers with no complaints. I don't know the model but I am guessing it is the lower end and he did say it is the type with chains and a seperate anti- sway bar. I have a couple of weeks before I can pick it up so I will research more. I would much rather pay little extra now, but have never used a WDH to know better.
when people talk about the dealer making a good deal on an inferior WDH, they never state what that "deal" is. so you don't have any way to compare it with better WDHs.

an Equalizer from RVW, costs around $440 with free shipping.
what is your dealer charging for the cheaper WDH and will he credit you that amount, towards the purchase of the Roo?
here's a current thread about someone who had a cheap WDH and then upgraded to an Equal-i-zer and the difference it made for his towing:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...zer-13963.html
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 09:36 PM   #8
Campfire Starter

Well I have to thank you guys again, I can see I'll be a regular here. The Husky combo hitch is going to cost me 250 installed(which is 200 less than the first quote), however this price is above the cost we negoitiated for the camper. I am going to call the dealer and see what options I have this week. I have done some research today and believe if I have my way it will be the Reese dual cam system. This seems far superior to the WDH + friction sway bar systems. I don't know if the dealer even carries this hitch, but if they are not familiar with I will buy it ahead of time, pack my tools and install it when I get there. I have seem the installation video and it does look like any thing to complicated. I hate buying anything and thinking I shoulda, woulda, coulda after.
Fx4dugan is offline   Reply With Quote