Old 03-20-2014, 05:42 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMarrs View Post
Checked the owner's manual - which is for 5 different models. It's a Suburban & the model is either SW4D or SW6D. (The other models all have features mine doesn't have.) The manual doesn't list any particular type of anode that I could find.

Part #232767. This is what the it calls for. If you can find a generic brand one it's 9-1/2" long. Hope this helps

Old 03-20-2014, 05:46 AM   #12

They are all the same size no matter if your w/h is 6 gal or 10 gal they work on both.

Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 08:10 AM   #13
Site Team

They come in aluminum and zink or magnesium.
Aluminum is your last choice.
I believe the manual recommends against aluminum but it's better
than nothing.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:41 PM   #14

Last fall I went to remove the anode rod, and for some reason I must have been daydreaming and missed a step, because the rod shot out of the water heater like a bullet. I felt like a complete moron. Question is what step did I miss?
Old 03-31-2014, 10:46 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor62 View Post
Last fall I went to remove the anode rod, and for some reason I must have been daydreaming and missed a step, because the rod shot out of the water heater like a bullet. I felt like a complete moron. Question is what step did I miss?

I'm gonna guess you didn't release the pressure in the lines/tank first.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:48 PM   #16
Mod free 5er

I do believe you answered your own question. Did you not get a bath?
Old 03-31-2014, 10:57 PM   #17

Luckily I got out of the way. So I open the hot and cold lines and then drain the tank. After that, I turn the bypass and winterize the rest of the system?
Old 03-31-2014, 11:10 PM   #18

Quote:
Luckily I got out of the way. So I open the hot and cold lines and then drain the tank. After that, I turn the bypass and winterize the rest of the system?
Pretty much! Here's my procedure.

Drain fresh tank, open faucets, relieve all pressure from the system.

Go to WH, open the safety valve, which makes sure it still opens, check for pressure. Then remove anode rod and walk away.

Since I now have low point drains, this is where I'd open them.

Use compressed air a few shots worth. That will push water out of the lines supplying the WH. Then, bypass the WH using the valves.

Use more air pressure to push remaining water through the faucets (Again, since I have drains this could possibly be omitted.) and make sure they're clear.

Use water pump to pump antifreeze through the system. Just let it run until solid pink throughout each faucet, shower, toilet, outdoor tap.

Come spring, put about 15 gallons of plain water into the fresh tank, push antifreeze through until clear throughout, open the WH bypass and let some water flow through the WH to rinse anything out the anode hole. Reinstall anode.

To sanitize, drain fresh tank, then pour in a water/bleach solution. I'll let you look that up as my method got some interesting comments.

Run water/bleach solution through until you can smell it through every tap, hot and cold. Let sit, again opinions vary.

Drain anything left in the fresh tank, refill with fresh water or just hook the hose to the city port, rinse water/bleach solution through. Done.

It might look like a lot, but once you do it a time or two it doesn't take long at all.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 12:10 AM   #19

Quote:
LOL. I'm only laughing because this happened to me this past weekend. My nephew got married at Brown county so we were camping there. On Sunday when we were closing up I figured I should winterize since this winter has been crazy. I'm not so sure below freezing is over. I was hurrying so we could get home and didn't release the pressure and the anode shot out and hit me along with a bunch of water. So you aren't the only one to do it.
2015 Nights camped: 21
2014 Nights camped: 18
2013 Nights camped: 26
grege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 06:10 AM   #20

I did this procedure several times before with no issues, that is why I was confused when it happened. I guess I was rushing a bit and missed a step. Never again, practically gave me a heart attack. Thanks for reviewing all the steps.

Tags
anode, heater