Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-10-2009, 10:52 PM   #1

Hybrid Bunk-end Leak Saga

Well hi! I haven't posted here much, but I've been the pretty-happy owner of a 2007 FR Shamrock 19. It's a great little HTT, and I've enjoyed taking it up and down the state & even to Quartszite last month.

I was a bit dismayed to find some relatively small water damage at the base of my front bunk-end door a couple of months back. As a Southern California camper, we just don't get that much rain here, and I could only assume that it came in while sitting in the storage lot this summer during a very rare gully-washer storm. The laminate immediately in front of the bed was slightly warped, but other than that I couldn't find any other damage.

I contacted Forest River and they immediately offered to send me a replacement kit for the seals -- free. Well, how nice of them! So I took them up on their offer & had it shipped.

When I received it I took it & my trailer to my handy-dandy repair shop (they're miracle workers!). We opened it, only to find absolutely no instructions included. Luckily for me, I knew of a thread on another HTT forum and someone had posted detailed pictures along with instructions he'd found about how to install the new seals. I gave the link to the pictures & instructions to my fix-it guy & he was good to go.

Well, over four hours and $250 later the front bunk is done. And I must say that it's amazing to see the difference between the quality of the new seal and the old one which is on the back bunk. I'm glad it's done & I don't have to worry -- at least I won't about the front bunk. And from what I know about the hourly rate of most service departments, I know that I got a good deal. But still, $250 per bunk ... whew!

My question is this: Why didn't Forest River fess up and just give me some sort of due bill for the nearest authorized service dealer to get them replaced if they knew the seals were inadequate? Seems to me that they're admitting some responsibility in this problem by sending me the replacement kits FREE.

Are there others of you out there who have had the same experience? There's no way I could have attempted this work myself, as the whole bunk door had to come off. There were times where there were 3 guys needed to get everything off and back on safely.

Should I contact Forest River to see what their take is on the whole thing, or just suck it up & be grateful that they sent me the repair kits free. I intend to do the back bunk, but not until I save up a few more pennies. For what it's worth, the repair guy suspects that the water leaked in, sat in the bottom of the bunk-end & was pushed in when I towed the trailer. I've never, ever towed it in the rain. We just don't get enough rain for me to worry about that.

Any feedback/opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
azusateach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 06:51 PM   #2

we have a 2001 hybrid, 19-20 ft wide box when closed

we stared having dripping problems around the seam on one end, and we noticed the floor was a little soft in one place. the dealer said he found the seams on the room with cracks so he removed and totally resealed the roof seams, hope this helps.

also, our latches pulled out of the fiberglass and had to have new door latches installed.

we also will be replacing our tires this year.

always something to spend money on but it is the only size camper we can tow and it hs been a fun, lightweight camper and has worked well

hope your repair work fixes your problems and enjoy camping
Old 02-13-2009, 03:43 AM   #3
Site Team

azusateach, i have been following your posts on the other forums, since i have a Roo and used to live in Pomona/La Verne.
i've even been to the dealer you got your shamrock from. we have friends in Covina and saw he sold hybrids. he only had smaller shamrocks.
but i had the kit installed under warranty, at a dealer that used to sell Roos. it was more of a preventative move since i hadn't had leakage issues, yet, while still under warranty. i didn't have to pay for the install. i would contact Gregg Rollins and request a reimbursement for the labor costs, since your dealer is out of business.

our friends' oldest daughter is attending APU, for her masters.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 06:12 PM   #4

Hi,

I'm actually in the market for a ROO floor plan 19 and was researching about the leaking problem. Do you happen to know if this is a problem with the new 2009 model? Are there any other issues I should be watchign out for? I see the ROO is the lightest one out there and should be fine for my GMC Canyon to pull. Did you consider any other small HTTs when buying? Just curious if there was any one thing about the ROO that swayed you. Thanks.

-Sean
skkane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 06:31 PM   #5

Thanks Dan for the suggestion. The trailer's out of warranty -- think I should still call them? I miss Jim & his little RV business. He's a crusty ol' guy, but he's working for FR out in Rialto, I think. Anyway, I've talked with him on a couple of occasions & did call him about the bunk. He didn't suggest anything to me, even though he's in charge of the service dept. out there.

Sean, I wish I could have gotten the FR 21' with the super slide, but at the time was using an Explorer V-6 as my tow vehicle & it just didn't have the power. I'm now using an Explorer V-8 and feel much better about life. I did look at other brands -- the Coyote in particular. But the finish of the Shamrock clinched it for me. The other thing that was a "must" was a couch, not a gaucho. I didn't want a table to be in my way if I just wanted to hang out.

I haven't had any trouble with my trailer besides the small leaking problem. As my fix-it guy said, he's pretty sure the water came in by force, as it had probably pooled at the bottom of the bunk-end door & was pushed in when I travelled.

The other thing I've done is have the bunk latches reinforced. One of the back ones had pulled out and even though I had it repaired under warranty it pulled out again. When it was fixed under warranty they put a wooden "plug" into the original hole, glued it, and then screwed into the plug. It didn't hold. So this time I had a long "L" bracket installed inside and the latches were actually bolted clear through the door & the "L" bracket. I was told that that type of bracket is much stronger than a straight one, so what's why I did it. I sure don't have to worry about anything pulling out anymore!

If there's anything else you'd like to know feel free to ask! Good luck in your looking!
Old 02-13-2009, 07:10 PM   #6

I think I'm under the same constraints you had with your Explorer V6 that I have with my Canyon I5. From what you said I looked at the ROO 21SS and it's only 1 foot longer and 200 pounds heavier then the 19. The 200 pounds is on the hitch though but still seems doable. I'm trying to go with a big cushion to be safe. The manual says i can do 5500 and i'm dropping it to 4500 so with the dry weight I think it's still doable. Thanks for you thoughts.

-Sean
Old 02-15-2009, 03:07 AM   #7
Site Team

sean, i wouldn't trust the weights posted on FR's website. they are famous for posting incorrect specs. i've been told that the 21SS weighs as much as the 23SS, maybe more, because of the deeper slide. i would find one and check the sticker inside, for the actual weight.
the '09 Roo/Shamrock has a re-designed front bunk seal. you should take a look at it. they have put in a beefier/thicker seal.
we liked the quality of the Roo, along with the Jayco and Starcraft. the floorplan of the 23SS and the darker wood and better fabrics sold us.
if we had been limited to a 19' hybrid, we really liked the Cub/Kodiak 195. it has a lot of features that other 19' ones don't. i was very impressed with the new Cubs.
i have an '07 but haven't had any leaks. have driven in rain a few times but not a lot.
Old 02-16-2009, 12:11 PM   #8

Well I called Forest River this morning and talked with Greg Rollins -- nice guy! But he/FR isn't going to reimburse me for the labor. He didn't deny that there was a problem with water pooling inside the front bunk and that's why they're sending out the kits free. I asked him why the water pools there & he said that it has to do with the angle of the bunk. Water enters the bunk and then has nowhere to go. It isn't the same with the back bunk, as that wall is perpendicular to the ground. Water might get in, but drains right out because the angle is different. So I don't need to worry as much about leakage on the back bunk. However, since I've got another seal kit sitting at the fix-it guy's shop, the next time I go in I'll have him replace the seals on the door (without having to remove the whole door). It'll just make things more snug & will only take about 15 minutes.

It was nice to have a reasonable conversation with Mr. Rollins. I was able to ask him about another mod I'd like to do and he gave me some good ideas. I also asked how the latches are attached to the trailer, as I had one pull out. Understanding that was further affirmation that my reinforcement was a good call. There's lots of pressure put on those doors and they're just screwed into wood.

I really like my little mobile vacation home. And I appreciate people who are willing to share their expertise to keep it in good working order.

Thanks, Dan, for the suggestion to call him. It was well worth the time!
Old 02-19-2009, 05:35 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
sean, i wouldn't trust the weights posted on FR's website. they are famous for posting incorrect specs. i've been told that the 21SS weighs as much as the 23SS, maybe more, because of the deeper slide. i would find one and check the sticker inside, for the actual weight.
the '09 Roo/Shamrock has a re-designed front bunk seal. you should take a look at it. they have put in a beefier/thicker seal.
we liked the quality of the Roo, along with the Jayco and Starcraft. the floorplan of the 23SS and the darker wood and better fabrics sold us.
if we had been limited to a 19' hybrid, we really liked the Cub/Kodiak 195. it has a lot of features that other 19' ones don't. i was very impressed with the new Cubs.
i have an '07 but haven't had any leaks. have driven in rain a few times but not a lot.
Funny you should say that FR is famous for posting incorrect specs. I was talking with a dealer about a 21SS and we realized the numbers weren't making sense. Turns out the web was way way off for the 21SS. We decided on the Shamrock 19 and will actually pick it up next week. Now I just have to wait for the weather to warm up. Thanks for the replies.

-Sean
Old 08-12-2013, 08:45 PM   #10

Shamrock 19' hybrid (2006) front bed end leaks too !

Hi Azusateach ! Yes - I have run across the same problem on our unit. Your posts are helpful - as I looked at the seal on ours and definitely wonder how the water is not going to leak at the bottoms. Got some swelling of the trim board
inside also. Will contact my dealer and see if can get new seal etc. The trailer is fine other than the leak and having to remove sawdust from most of the light domes and stereo speakers.
WpgBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 02:11 PM   #11
Site Team

WpgBrian, this thread is over 4 years old and i don't think azusatech has posted here in a long time.
i think she traded in her Shamrock for a regular TT.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity

Tags
expandable, hybrid, shamrock