Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-11-2012, 11:09 PM   #1

Hybrid Condensation...One more time

I've read the forums and know this is a subject discussed in length. Nevertheless, as a new Shamrock 23SS owner heading into the winter camping season, I thought sharing my experiences as well as getting feedback might be beneficial. I camp in the Susquehanna Valley, PA area. We use it for lodging when attending our daughter's college basketball games. Last year we made it through with a '01 Coleman Fairview PUP. Condensation was not an issue.
Season began this past Saturday and so we had our first camp. Night temps got down to high 40s. Used reflectix in canvas windows. Opened ceiling vent by door a couple of inches. We lost the battle with condensation. Bottom 6 inches of canvas wet with visable beads of water. Bed cover also wet near sides.
We return next Wed so plan to create more air flow by opening canvas windows slightly(hate to let in the cold air). Also looking into canvas covers.
Richro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:29 AM   #2
Site Team

if you don't want the custom-sized Popup Gizmos, you can go the generic route with solar/sportsmen/all-weather blankets. these are available online and at REI, Cabela's, Bass Pro and Campmor.
they are 5x7 and will not fully cover the front bunk. they do have grommet holes that you can bungee or tie down. they run around $14.

we only have to open a corner of one of the tent end windows, along with a roof vent cracked open.
but we've also learned that, if you have electric hookups, a ceramic heater will cause less condensation, than the propane-fueled furnace.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:44 AM   #3
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
but we've also learned that, if you have electric hookups, a ceramic heater will cause less condensation, than the propane-fueled furnace.

Please explain why the use of a trailer furnace results in more condensation. This is totally new to me and I would sure like to know.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:51 PM   #4
Site Team

i have read this many times on RV forums. i believe it has to do with the chemical process of firing of the propane, whereas a ceramic heater is an element that is heated by electricity.

here's a quote from a website:

"Heating,

Propane releases water vapor into the air, so electric heat is more conducive to keeping an RV dry. Electric conduction heaters are quiet and effective at taking the dampness out of the air. Propane heating should not be completely eliminated, however, since the furnace ducting reaches and heats areas under the RV that would otherwise not be heated."

in my experience, i can only say that we have had less condensation using our ceramic heater, than when we've had when using the furnace.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 11-12-2012, 03:06 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

From Wikipedia...

Properties and reactions:

Propane undergoes combustion reactions in a similar fashion to other alkanes. In the presence of excess oxygen, propane burns to form water and carbon dioxide.
C3H8 + 5 O2 → 3 CO2 + 4 H2O + heatpropane + oxygen → carbon dioxide + water

Releasing water vapor when using the propane stove for sure, less so when using the furnace as you're heating through a heat exchange, not direct heat from the flame.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:24 AM   #6

I always use our pop up gizmo covers and with those, I don't get condensation.
Previously:
2005 Fleetwood Seapine, 2012 Rockwood Roo
2015 Sunseeker, 2017 Fleetwood Pace Arrow
hockeytownmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:41 AM   #7

I don't think that using the furnace would create more condensation than a electric heater. Yes burning propane does produce water vapors but the furnace is vented to the outside of the camper so the water vapors are released to the outdoors. If they were being released inside the camper you would die!
ayotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:13 AM   #8

What you might try are the damp out products. I used then when I owned a boat in the winter and you will be shocked at all the water that is taken out of the air.
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:18 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk
What you might try are the damp out products. I used then when I owned a boat in the winter and you will be shocked at all the water that is taken out of the air.
X2. I like Damprid bags and buckets.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:31 PM   #10

Camped Wed night with temps falling to 28 degrees. 4 adults so both bunk ends used. Cooked dinner around 9:30pm using stove top with fan on. To combat condensation took the following measures: cracked all bunkend windows 3-4 inches, opened roof vent (fan off), opened front window slightly, and ran fans that attach to bunkend pole. Also covered bunkends with cheap tarp to avoid frost b/c I had to break camp by 7am.

Condensation on bottom 6 inches of bunkend canvass still present but much better then first camp. It was damp but no water droplets. Bedsheets/mattress not wet. I'm seeing improvement. Plan to purchase solar bunkend covers and hope that will elimate condensation issue altogether.

Next camp will be 11/28/12 for four nights.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:50 AM   #11

Condensation

We experience the same condensation issues in the cool weather. I try to run the ceramic heaters as much as possible.

I do believe that propoane gives off more moisture than electric heaters.

I wonder about using a small dehumidifier?

2017 GMC SLT HD All Terrain Crew Cab (6' 6" Box) 2012 Roo 23SS
E2 Trunnion WDH (1,000 lb / 10,000 lb)
Dave Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:36 AM   #12
Site Team

many do, that have electric hookups.
since we dry camp, almost all the time, we couldn't use one.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:29 PM   #13

We use an Eva dry dehumidifier summer and fall. It's amazing how much water it pulls out of the air. In the summer it really lowers the humidity and makes it very comfortable.
2018 F250 Lariat (ok but I miss my F150)

Getting old ain't for wimps!!!
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:56 PM   #14

Able to sneak in a one night camp on 11/23/12 and try out new PUG solar tent covers. WOW...impressive! Left tent windows cracked 3-4 inches, opened roof vent couple of inches, and cracked front side window. No condensation at bottom of tent ends. Also, camper retained heat better as furnace did not run as much. Temps were in low 30s.
Heading back 11/28/12 for 4 night camp with predicted temps of low 20s.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:52 PM   #15

It's been 10+ winter camp nights since last post with temps as low 14 but norm usually mid 20's. Having real difficult time with condensation around the heated beds, 3-4 inches up vinyl. Freezing to ice. Often I have to break down early morning and I'm closing camper ends with the ice. Know that's bad and will catch up with me but not sure of options. Have windows/vents open with fans running. RH meter inside reads, on average, 25-30 which I believe is "dry". Went to local RV expo this evening and one suggestion was stuffing old wool rags in gap between mattress and vinyl. I'll try anything at this point.

Tags
expandable, hybrid, shamrock