Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2014, 05:48 PM   #1

Hybrid or no Hybrid?

Hi All.
New to the forums. Posted just this past week and was given probably the best advice I have ever received in a forum... and I work in I.T. and I am in a lot of forums so I thank you all for that.

Have another question now that I hope you can assist us with...
We are purchasing our first RV, looking really hard at a 2011 Roo 233S and wanted to get everyone's opinion/experiences on hybrids. Pros of a hybrid vs. non-hybrids and vice-versa. We were looking at hybrids primarily because we needed something lighter we could tow but now, thanks to the replies in our last forum, we are looking at getting a seasonal site this year until we can upgrade our vehicle next year. Now size isn't really an option anymore and we started looking at non-hybrids. So what does everyone think?

Again thanks for all replies.

Happy camping!!

2010 Cherokee 27BH
jamiecc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 05:55 PM   #2
Always Learning

There have been a couple of recent threads by heyingaj that asked the same question with the same concerns. Longest story shortest- you have to love the idea of sleeping under canvas to own a hybrid and not loath it.

See if reading these 2 threads helps you decide:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...not-54434.html

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ise-54407.html
Old 02-18-2014, 06:14 PM   #3

A lot of really good points.
This is not going to be our last trailer we ever buy and it has the space we need right now for our growing family.

2010 Cherokee 27BH
Old 02-18-2014, 06:50 PM   #4
Site Team

here's your biggest problem, your Jeep.

Edmunds shows a MAX towing capacity of only 5000lbs. and that's IF it has the factory tow package and IF there's only a 150lb. driver in it.
it also only has a max payload of 1100lbs.

now, the 233S will weigh around 4700lbs. when it arrives from the factory. add 35lbs. for the battery, 40lbs. for propane and say 125lbs. of water(only about 15 gallons, not even half full).
now it weighs 4900lbs. before you've added food and cargo. and that's if you only have a 150lb. driver in the Jeep, nothing else.

but the main issue is that the hitch weight will exceed the Jeep's hitch capacity. the 233S's hitch weight will exceed the Jeep's max by at least 150 lbs., without even including a WDH.

if you really want a three bunk end hybrid, you need to look at the 183. even then your Jeep will be close to max'd out.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 08:21 PM   #5

Yeah we know the Jeep won't pull the 233S. That's why we're parking it at a seasonal (Dealer will deliver to site for us) and upgrading our TV next spring.

2010 Cherokee 27BH
Old 02-18-2014, 08:26 PM   #6

Is it possible that a dealer in your area rents trailers? Or the dealer we bought from gave us a chance to try out on their lot before we bought.

May give you the chance to make the pros/cons list without regretting a purchase

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 08:38 PM   #7

I don't believe he would do that but it never hurts to ask. My DW asked him today if he had anything else in our price range that wasn't a hybrid and he did mention a 2010 Cherokee. Going to look at that one as well this weekend so maybe I'll mention it to him.

Thanks for the tip.

2010 Cherokee 27BH
Old 02-18-2014, 08:50 PM   #8

While I do love my 233s, I already want to go bigger. I want to camp earlier and later in the season or even when there is snow on the ground! On longer trips, I'd love to just pull in and go in the camper to go to sleep. With the hybrid, you have to pull the bunks out and get them all attached, and trust me, that's no fun in a down pour. But it really depends on the kind of camping YOU want to do.
Previously:
2005 Fleetwood Seapine, 2012 Rockwood Roo
2015 Sunseeker, 2017 Fleetwood Pace Arrow
hockeytownmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 08:56 PM   #9

One item that we kept in mind that our daughter was going to want to bring friends with. Might want to keep an "extra" bed in the plans for the sleepovers.

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 11:45 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I have enjoyed both TTs and hybrids and here are the pros and cons as I see it. You will note many of the pros can become cons depending how you look at it or the circumstances where you camp.

Pros
  • Big footprint relative to its towing length/weight (the 233 is 30' set up and 23' towing). Set up; most of that 23' is living space because the beds are "outside".
  • Related to that, we get three 60"x80" queen beds. I don't think many TTs can match that. Its nice not to have to use the table or couch as a bed.
  • Canvas: we really enjoy sleeping under canvas and often with all windows open and just the screens. Takes me back to my backpacking days (but with more comfort ). Note that this is in sparsely occupied SPs or while boondocking with no other campers within sight. Its great to wake up to the sounds of wildlife just like it is with a tent.
  • Related to that, we enjoy opening all the bunks during the day. Feels much more spacious; less confined.

Cons:
  • The bunks are extra work and extend your setup and takedown. Not so much fun if you're camping for a night. You will get good with practice, but it's still work and can sometimes be a hassle (honestly, though, most often I enjoy it so maybe I'm a glutton for punishment ).
  • Your season to camp is shorter if you live in a northern climate. You can devise all kinds of mods to extend the season and keep warm, but bunks will never be as warm as a TT with beds on the inside.
  • Similarly, it can be harder to keep cool in blazing temps.
  • Its easier to shut out the world in a TT. This is good if you are a late sleeper or have noisy or nosy neighbors.
  • Related to that is certain private parks can shoehorn trailers into tight spots with your neighbors. TTs are better here.

I think that's a fair assessment. Personally, I'd probably opt for a really big TT if I planned to keep it on a seasonal site and didn't need to tow it unless my spot had a great private site.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 08:05 PM   #11

We purchased a 233S last spring. It pulls very well with our RAM 1500. We did a lot of camping, doing 5600km around the Canadian east coast and a lot of weekend camping. We had our share of rain and lots of leaks in the tenting. I filmed them to show the dealer where we purchased the trailer. I sealed all the seams like they recommended and still lots of leaks. They took it in for repairs it and they said it was ok now. We said we didn't trust it anymore and asked to return it. They are taking it back at a slight lost for us and we are buying a 23RS they have on the lot and they are giving us a good deal on it. No more hybrids for us. It should be less work to setup, no leaks (hopefully) and safer for bear country. It's slightly lighter than the 233S, less tongue weight and a foot shorter.
2gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 07:58 PM   #12

Triguy nailed it through and through!

We bought our 233S a little over a year ago and have camped in it every month since we bought it. We were lifelong tent campers, so sleeping under the ROO canvas is an awesome upgrade from lightweight tents and air mattresses on the ground! I too somewhat "enjoy" the setup and take down, which has never been a problem. I use garage/car towels to dry off the outside canvas before leaving the campsite and usually open it all back up in the driveway at home when we are unloading things. On a very few occasions, we packed at the campground with everything dry so when I got home I didn't open things back up. No leaks have found us at all (knock on wood) and even in the busier campgrounds (we do state and federal parks) it is still nice to have a window open to screen and listen to the critters and forest sounds both put us to sleep and wake us up. As everyone else has stated, it really is about YOU and YOUR choices or preferences, no matter what you choose you will STILL BE CAMPING and THAT is the name of the game! ;-)

ENJOY it!!

Ed & Chris, Empty Nesters (missing Josh & Jaclyn)
along with Blue & Tessa, Cat Explorers!
2020 Rockwood Roo 235s
2019 F-250 Diesel 4x4 Super Duty
ebemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:14 AM   #13
Broken Toe

Triguy and Ebemis pretty much hit the points.

To boil it down to one "make or break" statement:

If you are not willing to do a camping trip in a tent, you probably will not enjoy doing the same trip in a Hybrid.

tim

P.S. For the record, I think my hybrid is the nifty-est thing since they started putting peanut butter and jelly in the same jar. Zero leaks. Lots of good times.

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 12:50 PM   #14
Site Team

2gocamp, just a question.
are you sure your "leaks" weren't condensation, especially for where you live?

did you use Popup Gizmos or solar blankets and keep air moving by cracking a vent and window or have a fan running?
many hybrid owners button up their hybrid like a submarine and then run the furnace. this is perfect for causing condensation on the inside of the tent ends.

most of us follow the above solutions and have no leaks or condensation.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 02-21-2014, 01:07 PM   #15

Yes i'm sure. I took videos to show the dealer and she felt really bad for us. She couldn't get over how bad it was leaking, from all three bunks. You can see a stream of water drops just coming in during a light rain. I tried leaving some windows open, putting the fan on. I even bought a small dehumidifier to see if it would help in case it was condensation. She said our bunks must have been a bad batch, maybe bad thread. Never the less, we were totally put off by our experience and we don't want to take the chance of this happening again with a hybrid. I sold our 11 year old Coleman tent trailer to buy this and the Coleman never had a leak and we camped in torrential rain a times. I did have to use some tarps on some of our trips to keep dry but I'm not going to start to have to put solar blankets every time we set up. I want it to be as easy as possible so we can enjoy our camping. I thought the bunk would have gotten better with time. We just got unlucky with ours I guess.
2gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 01:18 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

I think you're right about the bad batch and being unlucky. It's not usual but manufacturing defects happen. We have had no problems with tent leaks with two hybrids (and a pup), but I have met or read of issues from others who have had problems and the conclusion, after eliminating the common causes that Dan mentioned, was a problem with the fabric. Glad to hear you landed with a camper that works well for you now.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 01:42 PM   #17
Site Team

thanx for the clarification, 2gocamp.
as Triguy said, the seams continually leaking, is not that common in modern hybrids.
condensation is wwaayy more common.
Old 02-21-2014, 02:04 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
Triguy and Ebemis pretty much hit the points.

To boil it down to one "make or break" statement:

If you are not willing to do a camping trip in a tent, you probably will not enjoy doing the same trip in a Hybrid.

tim

P.S. For the record, I think my hybrid is the nifty-est thing since they started putting peanut butter and jelly in the same jar. Zero leaks. Lots of good times.
I do not find this question true for me. I HATE sleeping in a tent! Love sleeping in a PUP and Hybrid.
Previously:
Old 02-21-2014, 02:35 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeytownmom View Post
I do not find this question true for me. I HATE sleeping in a tent! Love sleeping in a PUP and Hybrid.
But he did say "love sleeping in a tent" not "love sleeping on the ground!"

Maybe splitting hairs now, but I'm with you - pup yes, hybrid yes, tent no thanks.

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 03:43 PM   #20

True!! lol
Previously:

Tags
hybrid