Old 07-25-2015, 08:43 AM   #11
I have a Roo 17 and tow with a Lincoln MKT 3.5 L w/ecoboost which is equivalent to a Ford Flex(350 HP and 355 lb-ft torque). 450 lbs tongue weight and a 4500 lbs tow capacity. 6 speed trany with an overdrive. On flat road car tows in overdrive. Head winds and small hills will drop out of overdrive back to 6th gear. Get 10-11 mpg. HTT and gear I am pulling around 3600 lbs.

rocknroos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 10:23 AM   #12
We tow with a Touareg TDI. High tow capacity and sweet mpg. Tows our mini lite like a dream. The towing capacity is around 7800 pounds.

caper375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 12:21 PM   #13
Originally Posted by ycj View Post
Hello. We are new to the TT world. We are picking up our new Shamrock 183 in two weeks and will be towing with an '05 Dodge Durango 4.7 L V8. The trailer is 3600# dry, and I am way under the tow capacity but feel that it will be a struggle on hills for my TV. I am just curious what others are using or suggesting as a TV. If I have to buy a different TV, I would hope to find something that can be used as a daily driver SUV and not sweat pulling the TT.
I tow my 21DK with an '05 Durango 5.0L Hemi Limited 4x2 using a BlueOx weight distributing hitch. It has the factory tow package with HD cooling gear. I bought a ScanGauge so I could monitor the transmission temp without having to add any sensors. I haven't seen a problem. It was my daily driver until my kids graduated high school and I was no longer schlepping high school athletes around town. Now, it's relegated to tow vehicle duty.

The Durango has more than enough capacity (<- link to Dodge towing site) to pull (and stop) any hybrid but it's near its limit with respect to its ability to carry the payload. That said, unless I fill all three tanks on the hybrid, I'm within specs. (If I filled all 3 tanks on the hybrid, the trailer itself would be overloaded.)

I don't like the steering or suspension on the Durango, and never did. Pulling a trailer didn't make it worse. I don't consider it unsafe, it's just mushy. I replaced the passenger radials with Michelin LT load range E tires, which helped. But the relatively short wheelbase combined with the trailer ball being ~15" behind the bumper results in my being very aware of every large truck I pass.

If I had no other considerations I'd get a new 4 door 3/4 ton pickup truck with a fancy electronics display. That will handle a future trailer upgrade. But, this being the real world, I can't afford a new truck right now and prefer the interior comfort and flexibility of the Durango, when I have need for it. It's a nice passenger vehicle for driving around 4 adults plus some inside cargo, or 6 adults around town. Replacing it with a used vehicle would mean another car payment and inheriting someone else's problems.

My next step is to buy a ProPride hitch. That should mitigate the effect of passing trucks and side winds, and is much cheaper than a different tow vehicle. Also, I can take it with me.

Feel free to PM me. I can give you my phone number if you want to chat. My vehicle is a match for what you're towing with, so I have personal experience. That said, listen to others here. I've learned a lot doing that.
Chris Cowles, Gainesville, FL
- 2014 Shamrock 21DK
- 2005 Dodge Durango Hemi Limited 4x2
chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 08:38 PM   #14
We pulled the Roo 183 with an Explorer V6 4WD (5,000 tow capacity) and I have to say, it wasn't great. We then pulled a Roo 233S with my Jeep Grand Cherokee (6,500 tow capacity) and although it is a smaller vehicle and a larger trailer, it was way better. BUT, we took two cars and only had our bikes in the trailer and everything/everyone else in the other car. That is not ideal for most people but we had kids and kids friends and the dog so it was what we had to do anyway. We have been renting hybrids and our trips are short. When we purchase we will be upgrading our TV, just not comfortable for longer trips with either of those SUV's - and I want the peace of mind to be able to pack up whatever gear and people I want and not worry about it.

Nandev27 is offline   Reply With Quote

hybrid, tow vehicle