Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-27-2016, 08:37 AM   #41

My wife and I were in the same position as you about this time last year. We started looking around, hitting the RV shows, and finally settled on a 233S. We went through the available options, talked in length about each one deciding what we did and did not want. We ended up wanting every available option with the exception of the Stainless appliances, thermal pane windows, heated holding tanks, and the free standing table and chairs.

Now that we knew what we wanted, we started getting quotes on a new unit. I got about a dozen in all. The 2 best being RVdirect, and RVW. Every other quote was several thousand dollars higher. I did take these 2 quotes to my local dealer here in town which happens to be camping world. I got them within $3500 but they refused to come down any more saying they were already at cost. RVD's Des Moines location is the second closest River Forrest dealer being about 90 minutes away, so it made sense to order from them. They were appealing for several reasons, location being one and price the other. RVW's quote was slightly less, $11, but they're in Ohio and that price was continent on using they're financing. I was set on using my own bank for the convenience, and I doubt they would be able to match the rate I was getting on the loan. My checks are direct deposited, payments come out weekly before it hits my account. I never have to make a payment or worry about it being late. Its hard to put a price on that kind of convenience but im sure it would be more than $11.

We ordered our 2017 233S in February, and took delivery of it in May. We ended up getting a Shamrock, which is the same as a Roo, just because its what that particular location carried. They did not offer the Roo. In all, I paid $19,981 for the unit. After tax title and license, I was in it for $20,137.55 out the door. I don't mind sharing if it helps someone else get a good deal. Ive had a couple of hiccups with the unit, its back at the dealer now, but over all im happy with it. Love the floor plan and it fits us and our 3 kids very well. Its also very nice to have the extra bunk space as we rarely ever vacation without one of the kids bringing along a friend.

I did get a WDH, but not through RVD. I found a good deal for one online with free shipping. Installed it myself. Ended up being much cheaper, and installation was very simple.

Get lots of quotes. Get one from RVD in Tampa. Make sure they are not contingent on financing, ect, ect. Make sure and get their best "out the door" price including all of their fees. And don't forget about all the extras you are going to need such as a WDH, surge protector, potable water hose, sewer hose, ect. Sometimes you can get deals on this stuff with your unit but get prices on that stuff too before hand so you know if your getting a good deal or not. A lot of times its cheaper just to order it through an online retailer w/free shipping. Good luck.
Finster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 01:02 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finster View Post
My wife and I were in the same position as you about this time last year. We started looking around, hitting the RV shows, and finally settled on a 233S. We went through the available options, talked in length about each one deciding what we did and did not want. We ended up wanting every available option with the exception of the Stainless appliances, thermal pane windows, heated holding tanks, and the free standing table and chairs.

Now that we knew what we wanted, we started getting quotes on a new unit. I got about a dozen in all. The 2 best being RVdirect, and RVW. Every other quote was several thousand dollars higher. I did take these 2 quotes to my local dealer here in town which happens to be camping world. I got them within $3500 but they refused to come down any more saying they were already at cost. RVD's Des Moines location is the second closest River Forrest dealer being about 90 minutes away, so it made sense to order from them. They were appealing for several reasons, location being one and price the other. RVW's quote was slightly less, $11, but they're in Ohio and that price was continent on using they're financing. I was set on using my own bank for the convenience, and I doubt they would be able to match the rate I was getting on the loan. My checks are direct deposited, payments come out weekly before it hits my account. I never have to make a payment or worry about it being late. Its hard to put a price on that kind of convenience but im sure it would be more than $11.

We ordered our 2017 233S in February, and took delivery of it in May. We ended up getting a Shamrock, which is the same as a Roo, just because its what that particular location carried. They did not offer the Roo. In all, I paid $19,981 for the unit. After tax title and license, I was in it for $20,137.55 out the door. I don't mind sharing if it helps someone else get a good deal. Ive had a couple of hiccups with the unit, its back at the dealer now, but over all im happy with it. Love the floor plan and it fits us and our 3 kids very well. Its also very nice to have the extra bunk space as we rarely ever vacation without one of the kids bringing along a friend.

I did get a WDH, but not through RVD. I found a good deal for one online with free shipping. Installed it myself. Ended up being much cheaper, and installation was very simple.

Get lots of quotes. Get one from RVD in Tampa. Make sure they are not contingent on financing, ect, ect. Make sure and get their best "out the door" price including all of their fees. And don't forget about all the extras you are going to need such as a WDH, surge protector, potable water hose, sewer hose, ect. Sometimes you can get deals on this stuff with your unit but get prices on that stuff too before hand so you know if your getting a good deal or not. A lot of times its cheaper just to order it through an online retailer w/free shipping. Good luck.
Thanks Fin. Good stuff. I do have a quote from RVD in Tampa and they won't budge off 22,500. I even said I'd take that price with camera and WDH tossed in. They wouldn't do it. Surprised me. RVW is at 20,500 but then picking it up comes into play. Again, appreciate it.
wardster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 04:04 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardster View Post
Thanks Fin. Good stuff. I do have a quote from RVD in Tampa and they won't budge off 22,500. I even said I'd take that price with camera and WDH tossed in. They wouldn't do it. Surprised me. RVW is at 20,500 but then picking it up comes into play. Again, appreciate it.
Maybe you shouldn't think of it as "picking it up." Think of it as "going camping" (at least the return home - actually do some camping! You'll be headed in the right direction for winter camping anyway!)

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 01:21 AM   #44

I recommend looking at "wholesale RV club" after talking to well over 30 dealers all over, they were the cheapest for a 233s. Matt McDermott is their online sales guy and he was very helpful and responded to questions immediately over email. We needed up going with camping world locally because we got them to match theirs.
Kaboingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 08:30 AM   #45

I dont know if this is important to you or not, but another thing to consider if your ordering a new unit:
River Forrest changes over to the next model year in mid March. So if you order now, your going to get a late model 2017. If you wait a few months you will get a 2018 if they start assembly after the next model year. Like I mentioned earlier, we ordered in February. I thought we were getting a 2016. Our build sheet from RVD says 2016, but we were shipped a 2017 because they were so behind at that point that it didn't get it built until after the new model year cut off date in March. I really don't think it affects anything other than poosibly resale value just because it's a year newer on paper, but the 2 units would be exactly the same otherwise. Whenever they make changes its usually in the middle of the model year for some reason.
Old 12-02-2016, 01:18 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
Maybe you shouldn't think of it as "picking it up." Think of it as "going camping" (at least the return home - actually do some camping! You'll be headed in the right direction for winter camping anyway!)

Keep location in mind for sure. Here in Canada we bought a new 2016 Roo 233s and had a warranty issue this year. The dealer was close so hauling it back was not bad on gas. Not sure if the first year of warranty can be done at another dealer [emoji16]
Tizzards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 10:49 AM   #47

First Timer, Thought I did my homework...

We just ordered a 2017 Shamrock 23IKSS last Friday. I worked with the 2 "online" dealers and 4 local places that sold Roo's and Rocks.

I wish I had read this thread before ordering as it seems I did not get a deal like most of you received.

My out the door price for the 23IKSS and Equal-i-z-er 4 point sway WDH installed was $26,202. This was the lowest of all the quotes I received. When I tried to haggle, the only thing I could get them to budge on was the Freight fee which went from $1,200 to $641 because they thought they could order 2 and get them delivered on 1 flat bed. We did get $1,780 worth of options.

Here were the options we selected with the prices. We had read that anything from 25-35% of MSRP was to be expected. It seemed my nearly 30% cost of MSRP was in the ball park. Maybe someone can learn from my mistake.

Flagstaff Shamrock 23IKSS
Selected Options:
Standard Package G- Click for Details N/C
Oyster Exterior w/Color Keyed Roof 200
Maple Wood Cabinetry 100
Wood Look Floor 100
Power Tongue Jack 95
Gas Oven (Required on 21DK, 23IKSS) 200
Raised Panel Refer Fronts 85
15,000 BTU Ducted Roof A/C Upgrade 125
Power Awning Upgrade w/LED Light Strip 145
Hide-A-Bed Option (21SS, 23IKSS, 24WS) 375
Free standing tables and chairs 175
Outside Grill 100
Heated Mattresses Required (23IKSS) 80
Carbon Monoxide Detector N/C Water Purifier N/C
(2) Maxxair Ventilation Fan and Vent Cover N/C
Camper 23IKSS 21,279
Frieght 641
Camper Quote Price 23,700
Equalizer 4 point sway control Installed 800
BASE PRICE $24,500.00
TAX $1,470.00
Tags and Registration $232.00
TOTAL CAMPER PRICE $26,202.00

MSRP $33,784.00
Percentage of discount off MSRP 29.85%

I have this sour taste in my mouth, but hopefully it will go away when we take our first trip.

Ron
Ron045 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 10:54 AM   #48

Stop worrying about what deal you may or may not have gotten. It's not a competition. There's more to life.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 11:02 AM   #49

Ron, I see from your other thread that you ordered from Keystone RV center in greencastle pa. You probably got a decent deal since you ordered the unit. I bought my 23ws from their inventory and they beat the online warehouse dealer by a good margin, but I was buying stock they already had. They are a good dealer, so far they have treated me right and the service after the sale has been good. And you are right, once you have the camper and are on your maiden voyage, it won't matter - that is a nice camper and one I really liked.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 12:57 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron045 View Post
We just ordered a 2017 Shamrock 23IKSS last Friday. I worked with the 2 "online" dealers and 4 local places that sold Roo's and Rocks.

I wish I had read this thread before ordering as it seems I did not get a deal like most of you received.

My out the door price for the 23IKSS and Equal-i-z-er 4 point sway WDH installed was $26,202. This was the lowest of all the quotes I received. When I tried to haggle, the only thing I could get them to budge on was the Freight fee which went from $1,200 to $641 because they thought they could order 2 and get them delivered on 1 flat bed. We did get $1,780 worth of options.

Here were the options we selected with the prices. We had read that anything from 25-35% of MSRP was to be expected. It seemed my nearly 30% cost of MSRP was in the ball park. Maybe someone can learn from my mistake.

Flagstaff Shamrock 23IKSS
Selected Options:
Standard Package G- Click for Details N/C
Oyster Exterior w/Color Keyed Roof 200
Maple Wood Cabinetry 100
Wood Look Floor 100
Power Tongue Jack 95
Gas Oven (Required on 21DK, 23IKSS) 200
Raised Panel Refer Fronts 85
15,000 BTU Ducted Roof A/C Upgrade 125
Power Awning Upgrade w/LED Light Strip 145
Hide-A-Bed Option (21SS, 23IKSS, 24WS) 375
Free standing tables and chairs 175
Outside Grill 100
Heated Mattresses Required (23IKSS) 80
Carbon Monoxide Detector N/C Water Purifier N/C
(2) Maxxair Ventilation Fan and Vent Cover N/C
Camper 23IKSS 21,279
Frieght 641
Camper Quote Price 23,700
Equalizer 4 point sway control Installed 800
BASE PRICE $24,500.00
TAX $1,470.00
Tags and Registration $232.00
TOTAL CAMPER PRICE $26,202.00

MSRP $33,784.00
Percentage of discount off MSRP 29.85%

I have this sour taste in my mouth, but hopefully it will go away when we take our first trip.

Ron
I think you did better than you think. I was looking this over. You got the IKS, which retails higher to begin with than the 233S. You got some options that are not offered on the 233S such as a hide-a-bed, which cost extra. Your states tax, and licensing fee's are much higher than Iowa's. It looks like you paid just under $700 more for tax, tags, and registration than I did.

The only thing I think you really overpaid on was the hitch. I got the same Equil-i-zer 1000/10,000 hitch. You paid $800 for it + installation. I got mine online for $449, shipped free from Texas to Iowa. It did not come with a ball. I found one at our local Tractor Supply for $20. After watching a couple of you-tube videos on installation, I had it installed in under 20 minutes. I don't know what your dealer retails the hitch for, or what they charge for labor, but $800 seems high to me.
Old 12-06-2016, 02:41 PM   #51
Site Team

Yep, if you paid $800 for an Equal-i-zer, you got ripped off.
I got mine from RVW with free shipping for $400.
They now cost around $440.
The dealer is bought my Roo from, installed it for free.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 05:41 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
Stop worrying about what deal you may or may not have gotten. It's not a competition. There's more to life.
100% agree! You do what homework you can before you buy, but once you've pulled the trigger, it's all water under the bridge. Clearly, you felt it was worth the price if you went through with it - so the best thing you can do now is concentrate on having fun with it and making it worth every penny.
2019 Days Camped: 5, but many more planned!
Maman325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 11:13 PM   #53
2016 Rockwood Roo 21dk

Go down to harbor freight with a coupon and you can get the same 1000/10000 wd hitch for about $170 that I've seen in rv catalogs for twice as much.
jaymemiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 11:40 PM   #54

Don't sweat it, being in Canada, we paid 35k .... Canadian mind you.... for our 2016 233s.
Enjoy it, you're going to love it!
Tizzards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 05:05 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymemiller View Post
Go down to harbor freight with a coupon and you can get the same 1000/10000 wd hitch for about $170 that I've seen in rv catalogs for twice as much.
Before doing the above you might just want to look at Reese or another "name" brand of standard round or trunnion bar WDH. At least you have a better chance of those known companies doing some QC and inspection that the parts they have manufactured in China meet their standards and engineering. Harbor Freight not so much. When you see stuff on sale in the Harbor Freight flyer and it says lot number this or lists multiple lot numbers for the same item, that is because they have those products being manufactured by multiple Chinese manufacturers. You can bet dollars to donuts no QC exists whatsoever.

If you want a 1/2" drive ratchet you intend to beat on with a sledge hammer, or a screw driver to use breaking up some concrete, then Harbor Freight rules. You're taking on a lot or responsibility when hooking a trailer to your tow vehicle and heading down the highway, why take chances?

Fire up the popcorn machine.

This link has nothing to do with a WDH, but it does speak volumes for the products in the towing section at HF.

I guess cats do always land on their feet!!!! - The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 08:09 AM   #56
2016 Rockwood Roo 21dk

Have not had any problems. Same exact hitch as Husky that you see in rv catalogs just sold under a different brand name Haul Master.
Old 12-11-2016, 08:19 AM   #57
2016 Rockwood Roo 21dk

If you don't want to take any chances and get the best then buy a hensley.
Old 12-13-2016, 09:49 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymemiller View Post

There are places to save money....and that little bit of metal hanging a $25,000 investment AINT the place
2011 HD Road King
Nights camped since 2019.....all of Em...Homes a 2001 Sea Breeze 36' 5 ER
yetavon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 12:14 PM   #59
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by yetavon View Post
There are places to save money....and that little bit of metal hanging a $25,000 investment AINT the place
Yep, Harbor Freight would be the LAST place I'd get a WDH to pull my $20k trailer.
Cheaping out on a WDH is not something I'd advise anyone to do.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo