Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2018, 11:30 PM   #41
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazman View Post
1. It is, I agree. BUT, they take a beating and are exposed to things that don't affect shingles as much.

2. Rubber is lighter than shingles.
3. I have no idea why rv roofs are not fiberglass, or something that would last longer than a rubber roof, I don't design rv's.... but if I did I wouldn't put rubber roofs on them ! Just MHO.
Rubber is flexible...

RV's bounce down our very smooth US roads...

That is why they are rubber.
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 11:52 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
Rubber is flexible...

RV's bounce down our very smooth US roads...

That is why they are rubber.

Hmmmm.... then shouldn't the whole thing be rubber?
Chazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 12:28 PM   #43
NH Horseman

I come from Caribou so I know why you ask. I live in NH and winters are almost as bad. I used to cover mine but don't any more. The only thing I do now is cover the air conditioner so no snow gets under it, melts, freezes and expands pushing the AC up off it's mounts on the roof. Other than that, blue tarps need to be tied down and often damage the sides of the RV. So, I've been camping since 1971 and I would say, cover the AC and leave the rest alone.
NHHorseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 05:58 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drenjoey View Post
I live in Maine and I'm not getting younger, plus I have health issues.

Dre

LOL, Dre, That's me, I'm getting my first cover, a partial. I have a bad heart, diabetes, arthritis in all the major joints. I'll be climbing up there for the first time ever.

I want a partial so I can push out the kitchen slide. It's my escape. I can watch football and cook, sit in my heated recliner.
2 in a Roo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 06:20 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 in a Roo View Post
LOL, Dre, That's me, I'm getting my first cover, a partial. I have a bad heart, diabetes, arthritis in all the major joints. I'll be climbing up there for the first time ever.

I want a partial so I can push out the kitchen slide. It's my escape. I can watch football and cook, sit in my heated recliner.

Not much better here......advanced COPD. Gotta climb up there with my Oxygen bottle.....but I'll make it !
Drenjoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 06:36 PM   #46

The quality of the cover has a lot to do with the outcome. People buy cheap covers and they have all sorts of issues with scuffing, moisture retention, and other sorts of problems. A high end cover will be breathable and will not retain moisture, it will also have lots of billowing vents to keep it from moving around assuming that all the straps were properly secured and tensioned when the cover was put on. I cover mine during the 4 winter months and the three hot summer months without any issues.
2020 Cedar Creek Hathaway 34IK, Reese 19K Sidewinder PB.
Daycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 07:38 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daycruiser View Post
The quality of the cover has a lot to do with the outcome. People buy cheap covers and they have all sorts of issues with scuffing, moisture retention, and other sorts of problems. A high end cover will be breathable and will not retain moisture, it will also have lots of billowing vents to keep it from moving around assuming that all the straps were properly secured and tensioned when the cover was put on. I cover mine during the 4 winter months and the three hot summer months without any issues.

What cover do you have?
Old 10-17-2018, 01:32 PM   #48
23ss ROOster

First 3 years no cover, used cover last year and will use again this year. Seems to protect roof caulking and finish on ROO. Also prevents any leaking possibilities. I can unzip and gain access into unit quickly if needed. Mine is from company called ELEMENTS, purchased from camping world. We live in foothills in Colorado. We can get lots of snow and sun. Cover from November to April.

2012 23SS ROO
2014 Ford 4x4 F150 XLT 302A, screw, Ecoboost, 3.73, max tow, off road pkg., 36 gal tank, Ruby Red, tailgate step, Linex spray in, Truxedo bed cover, 30% front tint, Viper remote start, 1000 lbs WDH
Wags2237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 03:21 PM   #49

Quote:
What cover do you have?

I don't know what daycruiser has as a cover, but we do have an ADCO, which a lot of folks here are using
Old 10-17-2018, 05:35 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drenjoey View Post
I don't know what daycruiser has as a cover, but we do have an ADCO, which a lot of folks here are using

Thanks. I was looking at Adco's, but the Goldline has a five year warranty... kind of leaning that way.
Old 10-17-2018, 05:51 PM   #51

high priced covers

Quote:
Thanks. I was looking at Adco's, but the Goldline has a five year warranty... kind of leaning that way.
I had all the high priced covers for the motorhomes I had (now have 5th wheel) and most ripped someplace in the first year. $400 to $580 and they ripped on 2 different motor homes. No I did not put them on wrong, just for your info.
m38mpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 07:35 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by m38mpp View Post
I had all the high priced covers for the motorhomes I had (now have 5th wheel) and most ripped someplace in the first year. $400 to $580 and they ripped on 2 different motor homes. No I did not put them on wrong, just for your info.

Thanks. Unfortunately, I really need a cover. My neighbor's chimney exhaust (and probably mine too) leave those nasty black streaks on our aluminum gutters and the side of our house. I don't want that crap settling in on the new trailer.
Old 10-19-2018, 01:44 AM   #53

I live in southwest michigan 24 miles from lake michigan. This a big snow belt with biting cold. Elkhart Ind where most of these rv’s are made and the folks at the various rv factories say not to cover the units. Covers can cause wind damage, mold and mildew. I haven’t talked to one rv dealer or factory rep here that recommends covering any rv.
Jim & peg. Jake the camper dog. RIP my friend. 01-11-2010 / 02-26-2020. 2018 flagstaff 8528ikws fifth wheel pushing 2014 f-150 eco-boost super crew. 2017 camped 14 weeks. 2018 4 months in texas. 2019 4 months in texas. 2019 21 days in michigan. 2019 2 months in arizona. 2020 4 months in arizona. U.S. Air Force Retired. 100% DAV
wanderer26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 06:29 AM   #54
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wags2237 View Post
First 3 years no cover, used cover last year and will use again this year. Seems to protect roof caulking and finish on ROO. Also prevents any leaking possibilities. I can unzip and gain access into unit quickly if needed. Mine is from company called ELEMENTS, purchased from camping world. We live in foothills in Colorado. We can get lots of snow and sun. Cover from November to April.
Bought my previous TT from Discount RV (now La Mesa RV) in Longmont, CO and my current 5'ver at 4-Seasons in Loveland, CO.

Missing RV'ing up Poudre Canyon (Jack's Gulch was my favorite place up there).
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 08:33 AM   #55

Two concerns with covering. Trapped moisture and wind caused rubbing. Both can lead to damage.
SunScoutGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 03:29 PM   #56

I will end this thread by saying I went on top and started to install the ADCO.... At some point, the wind caught under and the whole thing went flying. Back to square one, and I was getting out of breath (COPD).
It took about an hour, but finally with the help of my DW.....we made it.

Conclusion: This is the last year I'll do that. Next year, I'll find someone to do it for me........Boy! that glass of wine is well deserved!

Dre
Old 10-20-2018, 04:03 PM   #57

Quote:
Don't know about you, but my house doesn't have a rubber roof!

Or decals and clear coat!
xgarys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 11:36 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by xgarys View Post
Or decals and clear coat!

Old 10-21-2018, 01:47 AM   #59
Novice Travel Trailer Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
Doesn't matter...

What makes you think a rubber roof on an RV isn't made for the out-of-doors?

Why would it be used if it wasn't?

If shingles were better, then why aren't they used on RV's?
Yeah these membranes are on 70% of all commercial buildings in the country. Regardless, any roof type needs maintenance and yes a cover will of course inhibit uv defredation and extend roof life.

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BRDS Travel Trailer
2018 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 LTZ
benchmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 11:01 PM   #60

Cover it !!!

I cover it as soon as possible after putting into winter storage position. Never a question from the beginning. I want it protected from the winter elements both top and sides. Use good quality, breathable cover and not a tarp. Covers last about 5 years so I read, but that's the price of RVing. It's just another maintenance cost. You probably wouldn't be asking this question if it were a $500k MH. Just because we don't spend as much doesn't mean we shouldn't care for it as best we can.
RCPatt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover