Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2013, 02:41 PM   #1

Ideas for mouse proofing before winter storage?

Any body have ideas or products to recommend for mouse proofing a camper for storage. We have a 20011 ROO 23SS purchased this spring, first one we have had with a slide. I see there is a drain tube on the slide that comes from a collection point in side the camper that does not have a screen on it, that is a direct path in to the camper,i will seal that! Other than that we toke out all pots and pans with possible food smells on them, and of course food products. Did that past years with old TT, never had a problem. But this year i don't have a shed to put it in, so bought a cover and will be parking next to my garage, We do live in the middle of a 10 acre woods! Winterized today too, looks like our season is over Had 8 trips, for total of 27 nights, not nearly enough!!
Rodney Butalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 02:54 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Lucky Enough
Break out plenty of drier sheets inside and 1/2 ton of mothballs outside.
Lucky Enough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 03:20 PM   #3

Victor Electronic Mouse Trap-M2524 at The Home Depot
Old 10-05-2013, 05:55 PM   #4

Post Mouse proofing

Like most in the North East, we're done for the season also. Got home today from the last outing and started the winterizing process. We haven't had a mouse problem, yet! But that could be because of our winter prep. We also live in the country with lots of little critters about. We usually trap about a dozen through the winter in the house, but have never had any in the TT.
Our prep consists mainly getting the TT as clean as possible and emptied of all food stuffs. Cupboards, drawers, etc are disinfected with a good cleaner and the floor washed. We then ensure all entry points are sealed and the various covers are installed for the a/c, tires etc. As far as using stuff to discourage the vermine we don't use anything. We do use moth balls where there are burners, ie the water heater and fridge. Seems to discourage spiders from building nests in the burner orfices. They appearantly like propane. Inside the TT we scatter some dryer sheets and bay leaves. I don't know if they keep the critters at bay, but the TT smells great in the spring. The rest of the prep is the usual purging of the water system and pumping the required amount of antifreeze and parking the TT on a concrete pad in the back yard so we can look at it every day and dream of the spring.
2011 RAM 1500 Quad Cab 2wd Hemi 3:55 gear
Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2604WS
maggiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 07:45 PM   #5

Something you might want to try is a mouse repellent called Mouse Magic. I had a terrible problem with mice in my house a few years ago. I didn't want to put out poison because I have a dog. I tried traps but the mice just ignored them. My dog caught a lot but she couldn't keep up. I saw the Mouse Magic on the Gardener's Supply website. It's made of ground-up corn cobs soaked in peppermint & spearmint oil. It's available in bulk or in small packets (sort of like big tea bags). Non-toxic & it smells good. I put the Mouse Magic wherever I saw signs of mice. They disappeared pretty quickly & I haven't had any problems since then.
AMarrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:00 PM   #6

There is also a product called Fresh Cab that is supposed to work quite well to repel rodents. Fresh Cab All Natural Rodent Repellent, Control Mice Fast, Safe | Earth-kind.com
RCCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:43 AM   #7

We put a few bars of Irish spring soap and put them in the camper. I've heard they don't like the smell and it also works as nice air freshened too. I also put tape over all openings, get rid of all food sources.

Tags
roo, roof, storage, winter