Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2011, 10:14 AM   #1

I'm NOT ready! :(

I don't want to winterize my Roo yet! But I'm not sure when or if we can get out anymore this year. My 9yr old started hockey this week and my 6yr old started ice skating and they are both on the weekends. And I start working on call this Wednesday. I have a friend who's going to show me how to winterize it as I've been told a number of times it's easy; so I bought the things I need to do the water lines. I need to call the storage yard, replace all the storage door locks, and get a breathable cover and tire covers. Should I check the seals & caulk before the snow flies?

On top of all that, we're taking the Roo to Florida December 17th, so I will be de-winterizing it once we get to Georgia for the night. But I'm not sure what I'm going to do about winterizing it before we get back to Michigan????? Any ideas or suggestions?
Previously:
2005 Fleetwood Seapine, 2012 Rockwood Roo
2015 Sunseeker, 2017 Fleetwood Pace Arrow
hockeytownmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 11:37 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Yes, you will want to clean the roof and check the seams and seals while you are up there. This should be done before you put on your cover.

What cover have you decided to buy and what size? I'm looking to order one shortly for my 233s, too.

Winterizing and dewinterizing is probably easier if you opt to blow out the lines with an air compressor rather than filling with antifreeze the first time you winterize. Use a little antifreeze in the traps.

Then, when coming back from FL, you could do either method, but if you're still on the road, I think it would be easier to pump anti-freeze through the lines using your pump and a pump converter winterizing kit (unless you carry a compressor with you).

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 01:11 PM   #3
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
Winterize with pink stuff so you know how to do it on your return trip, rather than having to experiment. You might consider taking a couple extra gallons with you. Depending on where you are going in FL it could be a pain finding some when you get ready to leave.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 02:16 PM   #4
Site Team

nearly 5 years of owning my Roo and luckily haven't had to learn about this thing called "winterizing".

i really can't conceive of not being able to camp year-round.
i don't know if i would even bother camping, if i was limited to just 2 or 3 months of being able to go.

i don't know how you folks can handle it
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 03:44 PM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
nearly 5 years of owning my Roo and luckily haven't had to learn about this thing called "winterizing".

i don't know if i would even bother camping, if i was limited to just 2 or 3 months of being able to go.

we live in the "midwest" and camp from april till the end of october .
So I believe we get 7 mo. out of ours . Then its time to get the snowmobiles out for the next 4 months . I really cant find it conceivable that you dont ride snowmobiles .......... ever !

Not sure where 2 or 3 mo. came from ?
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 03:44 PM   #6
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
Quote:

How sad to sit by the campfire brite and ne'er see a snowflake fall from the sky...

Oh well, I guess some of us have all the luck!

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 03:48 PM   #7

For most of us mere mortals living where snow is a fact of life, it's more like 6 months.

May through October.

Then we store our babies away.

I look at it this way: 6 months of foreplay and 6 months of doing it.
Old 09-25-2011, 04:16 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
we live in the "midwest" and camp from april till the end of october .
So I believe we get 7 mo. out of ours . Then its time to get the snowmobiles out for the next 4 months . I really cant find it conceivable that you dont ride snowmobiles .......... ever !

Not sure where 2 or 3 mo. came from ?
I'm in Southern California where we can "visit" the snow in the mountains. Like Bikendan I also camp year around. I like winter camping because the campgrounds are less crowded and more peaceful. My view is based upon full hook ups too.

I couldn't image watching and waiting for the snow to melt off the roof of the RV either...... I guess there are pros and cons for everything.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 04:57 PM   #9
Site Team

the 2-3 months is the extreme example that i've seen, mainly from Canadians. i was using that as an example of the opposite end of what we have out here.

and yes, i have camped in snow. did it this past April, at Yosemite. it was quite wondrous. seeing Yosemite Valley in its springtime clothes, one day, and the next day, clothed in mist and snow.
we can choose to camp in snow but you get to drive to it, instead of living in it.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 05:00 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I admit that I have camping envy of my friends in CA, FL, or any moderate climate. I'm in the Midwest and I really wish I camped year around

We used to. Back in the day when my DW and I would backpack into a site. My girls aren't up for that, though. Yet!

I'll get them doing some winter camping when they get a little older. Or, maybe it'll be a good excused to get a 5th wheel with an arctic package.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 05:34 PM   #11

I haven't decided on a cover yet, haven't look because I'm in denial. LOL We too camping from late March to October, but with the schedules, I'm not sure that's possible this year.
Previously:
Old 09-25-2011, 07:36 PM   #12

Just got back from my second last trip. This year has been my longest yet. Mid May till beginning of October. Unfortunately in Calgary we are 3-4 weeks away from -10 degrees C. So far our fall weather has been amazing. With a little luck I might get 2 more trips instead of 1 more.
]
[SIGPIC]
skgeorgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 08:10 PM   #13
(Kim)

I am starting to regret my decision to not get the enclosed underbelly and heated tanks=]
The TT would have been perfect for weekend X-country skiing trips.

Sigh...........
DH (Alan), DD (Madison) and Zoey the lab,
Labzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 08:11 AM   #14

Quote:

We camp April thru October as well, so that IS 7 months. There are trade-offs everywhere you live. I cannot imagine the Christmas season without some snow. Cannot fathom Christmas temps in the 70's; just wouldn't be the same for me. It is what it is. We pack all of our fun into those 7 months and then spend all winter making plans for the next camping season.
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 09:25 PM   #15
camping

you could stop at Camping World in Chattanooga and have them winterize it for you. i believe they also have campground there.

2007 Chevy 2500HD CC
2010 V-Lite 30WRLTS
Nights Camped 2011 -64
Nights Camped 2012 -50
"I Live in My Own World, But It's OK. They Know Me"
tentcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 08:56 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tentcamper1 View Post
you could stop at Camping World in Chattanooga and have them winterize it for you. i believe they also have campground there.
Awesome! I'll look into it, thanks.
Previously: