Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2018, 07:57 AM   #1

Infiniti QX60 and Roo 183?

Hi, everyone. I am new to the forum and need some advice. After exploring the idea of a TT for a couple of years now, my wife and I have decided to move forward and purchase one.

Our TV is a 2017 Infiniti QX60 with a maximum towing capacity of 5,000 lbs.

We initially looked at the HW series of pop-ups, but with an 11 year-old daughter, we liked the idea of an actual bathroom for her; as a result, lately, we have really been focused on the Roos. Our other passenger is a 7 year-old boy. We expect to do regional camping only (we live in Houston, and I could see us going to the Texas Hill Country (5 hours) max). Also, I do not anticipate us doing any dry camping.

I know we will be limited to the 183 only (which actually works well for us), but I just wanted to get everyone's thoughts on pulling a 3,900 pound trailer with the QX60. I do know that the tongue weight of the 183 (at 387 pounds) is below the max of the QX60 (which is 500 pounds). Anyway, I am new to towing (I've towed a pop-up on my old 4Runner a couple of times) and would appreciate your thoughts. Thanks!
kevinrross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 08:20 AM   #2

Sounds like you are within 2 of the 3 towing limits of your vehicle, the tow weight and tongue weight..Now you need to see if its’s within your payload limits... You need to find out what your fully loaded tongue weight is. If your at 387 dry and you load the trailer with 1000 that will result in another 100 pounds of tongue. Take the tongue weight, subtract from your payload and what is left over will be the max load of people and cargo in your SUV...

One things for sure is when your towing at your vehicles capacity, you want to be sure you have a weight distribution hitch with sway control and a electric brake controller.
Curt Trutrack WDH
HD Roadmaster Active Suspension
3200 Firman Generator/Inverter
njfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 08:46 AM   #3

You should be ok with that set up IF your hitch is set up properly.
I'm guessing the QX60 have an electronic stability / sway control?
If it has, it will be a very stable ride (if the WD is set properly).
As someone that towed a 23IKSS with a BMW X5 for 12K miles, I can say those combos are very stable BUT you will run out of space pretty quickly.
We loved our IKSS but the work to carry 5 bikes inside the trailer wear us out really fast (we overnight at Walmart almost every trip), then came space for the inflatable paddle board, hammock stand, etc...
You get the picture...
I'm not saying you should buy a pick up but you may find yourself looking for another Tow Vehicle pretty soon and with the capacity of the new vehicle also comes the possibility of a new/bigger camper.....
Don't ask me how I know about that....

" Life is simpler when you plow around the stump..."
RACarvalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 08:59 AM   #4

The QX60 definitely has ESC, and the dealer has already informed us we should get a WDH with sway control. I am surprised the X5 could tow something that heavy!
Old 05-08-2018, 09:27 AM   #5

My X5 have a tow rating of 6000lbs and hitch limit of 600lbs (that was reduced when they launched the X6 so the more expensive X6 will have 6000lbs....).
I was on the limit for the hitch and payload but it towed beautifully.
In Europe the tow limit is higher at 7300lbs, so it can do it.
As for the WD, look for Andy's technical articles at CanAm.
They have being setting up cars/SUVs for towing for decades and have really good advice on how to properly set up the hitch for SUVs.
Your dealer will not know that for none of them know.

You will find very interesting the articles about Equalizing Hitches and ball angle.
I set up my hitch according to their recommendation and I can attest that they are spot on, I never had a single event with sway.

Blog Category - Hitch Hints - Can-Am RV Centre

Old 05-08-2018, 11:32 AM   #6

Hi Kevin,
Take a look at this post. Good discussion of what the 'fully loaded' tongue weight of the 183 is. Just make sure you are within the payload capacity of the QX60 with your passengers and gear.
Old 05-08-2018, 12:28 PM   #7
Site Team

Kevin, PLEASE don't make a common newbie mistake by using fantasy dry weights.

Tongue weight could easily be over 500lbs, loaded for camping.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 01:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Kevin, PLEASE don't make a common newbie mistake by using fantasy dry weights.

Tongue weight could easily be over 500lbs, loaded for camping.
Fair enough. I cannot remember exactly what the dry weight is on this specific unit, but based on the way we intend to camp (long weekends and the occasional 5 nighter), I cannot believe we would load another 1,000 pounds in the trailer. I could be wrong.

At the same time, it looks like our Payload in our Infiniti is around 1,150 pounds, so backing out 500 pounds of tongue weight, that leaves us 650 in the car. We'll definitely be cutting it close.
Old 05-08-2018, 01:38 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinrross View Post
Fair enough. I cannot remember exactly what the dry weight is on this specific unit, but based on the way we intend to camp (long weekends and the occasional 5 nighter), I cannot believe we would load another 1,000 pounds in the trailer. I could be wrong.

At the same time, it looks like our Payload in our Infiniti is around 1,150 pounds, so backing out 500 pounds of tongue weight, that leaves us 650 in the car. We'll definitely be cutting it close.
Dry hitch weight for the 183, is 387lbs.

Since the battery weight isn't included, that puts it around 430lbs BEFORE you add water and cargo to the trailer.

It also doesn't account for added options, like a power tongue jack or raised fridge panels in the trailer.

Remember dry weights are for a stripped-down version of the trailer.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 01:50 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinChad View Post
Hi Kevin,
Take a look at this post. Good discussion of what the 'fully loaded' tongue weight of the 183 is. Just make sure you are within the payload capacity of the QX60 with your passengers and gear.
Thanks, Chad. I had actually looked at that very post earlier in the day. It is definitely going to be tight, which is part of the reason I am asking the question.
Old 05-08-2018, 01:57 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Dry hitch weight for the 183, is 387lbs.

Since the battery weight isn't included, that puts it around 430lbs BEFORE you add water and cargo to the trailer.

It also doesn't account for added options, like a power tongue jack or raised fridge panels in the trailer.

Remember dry weights are for a stripped-down version of the trailer.
That is true but not that simple.
My 23IKSS had the water tank at the rear end so when I filled it, the tongue weight was decreased, not increased, to the point I could feel the difference.

Old 05-08-2018, 02:04 PM   #12

Pathfinder

I towed a 4000lb trailer 10,000 miles with a Pathfinder. Doable but not great.
wnelsonfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 02:28 PM   #13

Can-Am

At the recommendation of a more senior member on the site, I reached out to Can-Am to get their thoughts (these guys seem VERY knowledgeable about matching TVs with TTs). Their concerns are less about weight and more about aerodynamics. With the low profile of the QX60, they are concerned about the buffeting we will get on the front of the Roo. Honestly, I raised that very same concern to the dealer not long ago.

I am not in a position to swap out TVs right now (the QX60 is 18 months old, and we love it), so I guess I am back to the HW277.
Old 05-08-2018, 02:35 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinrross View Post
At the recommendation of a more senior member on the site, I reached out to Can-Am to get their thoughts (these guys seem VERY knowledgeable about matching TVs with TTs). Their concerns are less about weight and more about aerodynamics. With the low profile of the QX60, they are concerned about the buffeting we will get on the front of the Roo. Honestly, I raised that very same concern to the dealer not long ago.

I am not in a position to swap out TVs right now (the QX60 is 18 months old, and we love it), so I guess I am back to the HW277.
We have both a QX60 and a QX56 (now QX80), and I was going to suggest that the QX60 is probably better suited for a popup trailer.

Also, one more thing to keep in mind is that weight distribution hitches can be heavy (mine is about 70 points with the sway bars), which also deducts from available payload.
Old 05-08-2018, 04:06 PM   #15
Canadian Member

I've seen the Can-Am guys at every Toronto RV show I go to. Some people seem to trust them but I would never run a setup like they always have on display at the shows. I don't trust them. They seem to imply that a Hensley hitch can work miracles. It probably does for their profit margin. The Hensley hitch excels above other designs only in the sway category, not weight distribution. And its very heavy and very expensive.

Kevinrross, Infiniti advertises the QX60 as a "crossover" with a 114" wheelbase - meaning its designed to have the ride comfort of a family sedan, but just sits higher off the ground. No doubt it's a nice vehicle for its designed purpose, but I'd be concerned about its ability to tow a tall travel trailer like a Roo hybrid. Don't discount that you're pulling a large wall through the air and it will have significant drag. And the Roo will have a tongue weight quite a bit higher than the "dry" hitch weight listed in the brochures.

The QX60's specs read similar to the previous generation Honda Ridgeline (at best) with a 3.5L engine and a towing rating of 5000#. If the hitch is rated at 500#, the Roo will probably be near or over that weight so you'd be borderline. Remember that the GVWR of the QX60 will include the weight of all passengers, gear and luggage in the vehicle, plus the weight of the weight distribution hitch and the tongue weight of the Roo. It adds up very quickly.

I'd be confident if you were driving a Toyota Tacoma but IMHO a crossover is probably going to be a stretch for the Roo 183. A high wall popup would be more doable. You probably bought the QX60 for its refinement and ride quality. That ride quality will be severely challenged by pulling a tall Roo 183.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 04:14 PM   #16
Site Team

You are going to be close and may have a less than comfortable driving experience. If you decide to try it, be sure to get a good brake controller and add an aux trans cooler. You will need both.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 08:46 PM   #17
2016 Rockwood Roo 21dk

Seen one too many of those csuv in the ditch on thier side thinking they can tow a camper. Imho. Plus, I'd bet you'd be riding close to the ground with the trailer weight, cargo, and passengers.
jaymemiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 05:33 AM   #18

Comments are put as nicely as negative be said. Sadly they are correct.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 02:40 PM   #19
Sham183

I tow with a Chevy traverse. 5200# towing combined 10,250 with 600# tongue weight. I use the blue ox WDH. The TV and TT loaded with full tank of fuel no water in TT and full LP tanks and all that stuff and me, my wife and 7year old we are at 9300#. Tongue weight is at 500-520# It tows good but not for long hauls. For the part I feel stable and confident driving it and have no issues. My longest trip is about 4 hours or so away and all goes good. I have better tires and good brake controller and everything I can to make the ride better. I have upgraded my brakes to a severe service duty brake pads and rotor. You do get a little buffering once and a great while and pushed and pulled but it is controlled by keeping a safe speed and not rushing. Again I’m comfortable with how it handles you may or may not be.

I would say if you do choose this set up it will be close to your limits but you could do it. Just would not plan on long distance trips or any real mountain areas for that matter.

We will be upgrading our TV late next season so for us this works for us. I will say this I used my in laws Chevy 1500 and there is a considerable difference in handling by far. So with that said I know the smallest TV I’m going with lol.

You will get a lot of people saying negative things about setup and matching TV with TT but most of the stuff I have been told and read about is true. Some would say you need a semi for this unit as well but that’s extreme but I think you get the point.

Overall you can do it as long as you are within your limits but keep to short trips and watch you weights. Not a ideal setup considering my setup is very close to yours. It does work though. Good luck!

Tim
mopwr4me2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 02:52 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopwr4me2003 View Post
Just would not plan on long distance trips or any real mountain areas for that matter. Tim
I can't agree with that.
Our third outing with our previous X5/23IKSS combo was a 4400 miles loop from Indiana to Dever,CO, then to Grand Canyon, Las Vegas and back.
Yes, we went up the IKE, got high cross winds in Utah and 105F in Las Vegas and the old X5 did it's job brilliantly.
I posted a summary of that trip in this forum when I came back, you can read more details there.

I don't know how the Traverse is set up but the reason I first asked if the QX60 have ESC and electronic sway control is because it really contributes to the stability of the rig.
Having more horses than my X5 and a camper that weights less than my previous 23IKSS his combo will be more capable.

Tags
roo