Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2015, 02:09 PM   #41

Perfect! Have fun with the install. Let me know if you have questions and I'll try to help.
Mikewcrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 05:33 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikewcrook View Post
Perfect! Have fun with the install. Let me know if you have questions and I'll try to help.

Thanks! After Christmas I will keep you updated. ( and maybe some questions )
Nccamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 11:45 AM   #43

@ D_TWEEZY, I forgot to say welcome to the 23ikss club! This forum is a wonderful place for mod ideas. Here's one I got from here.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1447000966.054662.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	93888
Old 11-08-2015, 07:40 PM   #44

Quote:
Here are the photos you wanted to see. Yes i made the drawer under the fridge bigger as again it was wasted space. The dinning table extension lets us comfortably fit 6 for dinner if we are eating inside. For the shelving i just used extra prefinished 3/4" maple plywood that I had. Yes mine is a February 2014 model. If you have questions D_TWEEZY just let me know. Hope this helps and have fun!

Mike

What is that Digital thing next to your Stereo/AV Center

2014 F150 FX4 Crew 4X4 EB
2015 Roo 23IKSS

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 11-08-2015, 09:04 PM   #45

Indoor/outdoor thermometer.
Old 11-09-2015, 11:00 AM   #46

Thanks for the explanation on outdoor digital temp gauge might have to get one of those 😱

2014 F150 FX4 Crew 4X4 EB
2015 Roo 23IKSS

Old 11-16-2015, 07:54 PM   #47

We purchased a stand alone electric fireplace from SAMs last year. We move it where we need it and it really warms the place up and is pretty as well. We use it for a little side table by the couch when we don't need it for heat. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1447721609.798939.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	292.7 KB
ID:	94440
dawnwinkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 09:25 PM   #48

I surprised my DW with the fireplace insert Christmas morning! Now I have to move all the wires in the cabinet to complete this mod, pictures will come in the future.
Old 12-27-2015, 11:38 AM   #49

I purchased a Best Choice 28.5" from Amazon. My cabinet is only 5" deep so this heater at 5.25" from the mounting flange back will be an easy install. Since its cold out and the TT is in the winter mode, I'll have to wait a couple months to do the install, It has been in our living room so far and the DW likes it a lot.
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 12:16 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff64 View Post
I purchased a Best Choice 28.5" from Amazon. My cabinet is only 5" deep so this heater at 5.25" from the mounting flange back will be an easy install. Since its cold out and the TT is in the winter mode, I'll have to wait a couple months to do the install, It has been in our living room so far and the DW likes it a lot.
Thanks for the info That might work in mine just need to double check.

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat
former fiver 1976 Fourwinds had for 35 years
onetonford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 12:19 PM   #51

Great! Can't wait to see pictures!
Old 12-28-2015, 01:48 PM   #52

X2

urocav2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 03:04 PM   #53

Hey Mikewcrook, Just curious, what router bits did you use to match up the doors that you had to build? I'm going to start getting things together for that here shortly, and I was wondering if I'd need anything special? I noticed the drawer below the fridge really is small, but I think I'll be able to reuse it for the storage space above the fireplace after I make a new one for below the fridge! The front of it that is.

I'm also going to make a pull out drawer on the nightstand of the front bunk, redo the drawers by the stove, and I'm even considering making something for the front and back beds for where you get in and out of. The part is always very cold and sharp every time we got in and out of that thing! I'm thinking of taking some foam and making a "L" shaped cushion and cover it with some fabric.
D_TWEEZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 08:27 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_TWEEZY View Post
Hey Mikewcrook, Just curious, what router bits did you use to match up the doors that you had to build? I'm going to start getting things together for that here shortly, and I was wondering if I'd need anything special? I noticed the drawer below the fridge really is small, but I think I'll be able to reuse it for the storage space above the fireplace after I make a new one for below the fridge! The front of it that is.

I'm also going to make a pull out drawer on the nightstand of the front bunk, redo the drawers by the stove, and I'm even considering making something for the front and back beds for where you get in and out of. The part is always very cold and sharp every time we got in and out of that thing! I'm thinking of taking some foam and making a "L" shaped cushion and cover it with some fabric.

Hey D_TWEEZY. Nice job with the fireplace insert install! It looks great! To answer your questions, I actually did not make the new doors that you see in the pictures I posted. Being a cabinet maker I order at least a couple hundred doors a month from a company called Decorative Specialties. Much cheaper and less time consuming for me to subcontract out the doors than make them all myself. So I cant take credit for that. You can make them yourself with a panel raising bit and router table. Not sure on your skills or background with woodworking but it is difficult to make a raised panel door. Its a very LARGE router bit that can get out of control and dangerous very easily. I suggest you visit your local woodworking supply or even Home Depot or Lowes would sell Raised Panel router bits. The style that Forest River uses is a standard raised panel door known in the industry as "Revere" C-Panel. Yes the drawer below the fridge is small, simply remove it and you can widen it quite a bit and build a new drawer and drawer front. Just wasted space and don't know why they did not make it wider in the first place so that's one thing I did when I first got our Roo. Yes, that is exactly what I did was to reuse the drawer front from under the fridge and put it above fireplace in the new cubby that I built for that. I believe you have pictures of all these things that I previously posted but if not, let me know and I will repost them. I also made a drawer for the nightstand on the front bunk, as it was more wasted space. I redid the drawers next to the stove and put 2 small top drawers and a deeper drawer below. Made more since to me then the original setup of 2 doors and then 2 big slide-outs behind the doors. Have not done anything to the front and back bed areas as my wife and kids have not complained about it yet. Im sure its coming, especially if she reads this post! Also added a flip up cutting board on the end of the Island that adds a great amount of counter space that you might be interested in doing. Good luck! Hope this helps and let me know if you have any questions.
Old 02-23-2016, 09:41 PM   #55

Quote:
Hey D_TWEEZY. Nice job with the fireplace insert install! It looks great! To answer your questions, I actually did not make the new doors that you see in the pictures I posted. Being a cabinet maker I order at least a couple hundred doors a month from a company called Decorative Specialties. Much cheaper and less time consuming for me to subcontract out the doors than make them all myself. So I cant take credit for that. You can make them yourself with a panel raising bit and router table. Not sure on your skills or background with woodworking but it is difficult to make a raised panel door. Its a very LARGE router bit that can get out of control and dangerous very easily. I suggest you visit your local woodworking supply or even Home Depot or Lowes would sell Raised Panel router bits. The style that Forest River uses is a standard raised panel door known in the industry as "Revere" C-Panel. Yes the drawer below the fridge is small, simply remove it and you can widen it quite a bit and build a new drawer and drawer front. Just wasted space and don't know why they did not make it wider in the first place so that's one thing I did when I first got our Roo. Yes, that is exactly what I did was to reuse the drawer front from under the fridge and put it above fireplace in the new cubby that I built for that. I believe you have pictures of all these things that I previously posted but if not, let me know and I will repost them. I also made a drawer for the nightstand on the front bunk, as it was more wasted space. I redid the drawers next to the stove and put 2 small top drawers and a deeper drawer below. Made more since to me then the original setup of 2 doors and then 2 big slide-outs behind the doors. Have not done anything to the front and back bed areas as my wife and kids have not complained about it yet. Im sure its coming, especially if she reads this post! Also added a flip up cutting board on the end of the Island that adds a great amount of counter space that you might be interested in doing. Good luck! Hope this helps and let me know if you have any questions.
So Mikewcrook... Here would be my next question for ya. What would you charge me if I was interested in having you mail me out a few doors? Id only need door and drawer fronts, I can make the rest. I'd obviously be willing to pay you for everything. I was thinking if you do that line of work already which it sounds like you do, plus you would already know what sizes would be needed and quite possibly not take up too much of your time to do, would that be something you'd possibly be interested in it? If so, I wouldn't mind chatting with you about it! I'd rather it be done right the first time.

I'd probably order the 3 drawer fronts for next to the stove, the drawer next to the front door, and the one below the fridge first. Let me know if you would be interested in it. Thanks a ton Mikewcrook, you have given me some great ideas so far!

Mods So Far:
FIREPLACE!! Wire Shelving in Wardrobe and above counter. Honeywell Thermostat.
To Do: TOO MANY!!!
Old 02-23-2016, 09:42 PM   #56

Introduce myself, and ask.... fireplace???

Ok you guys. No thanks to you all, especially you Mike, I now have my own Honey Do list. I'm sure there are others out there that are in the same spot. Can you come up with a mod to keep the wife from reading these posts?

Mike, I must admit, great job. I've been contemplating the sink and island extension for a while. Now I'm being mandated. Geez! Lol

"Live" so that when your children hear the words Ethics, Integrity or Honor, they would think of You.

USMC - Semper Fi
Carlosrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 10:52 PM   #57

Sure no problem D_TWEEZY. I can actually have my door company UPS the doors directly to you. All I need to know are the sizes you want to give you a quote. Or I can just order the same sizes I used, assuming your cabinet sizes are exactly the same as mine, 2014 23ikss. One thing, the wood used in the trailer is hickory but my door company does not have that wood. Red oak grain patern stains up very similarly and that is what I used. The doors come raw, you would stain and finish them. The cost is roughly $15 per sq/ft plus shipping - probably $35. I'll be at my storage lot this weekend if you want me to measure to get an exact price. Just let me know.
Old 02-23-2016, 10:57 PM   #58

Carlosrod. I'm with you on the mod to keep my wife from reading other posts! Who do you think gave me all these ideas, or should I say, told me she needs that done! Yes, countertop extension with a cutting board is a great one. Adds even more countertop space and drops out of the way when you don't want it. The original sink is cheap plastic that my wife cracked/burned setting a hot pan in. New one is stainless steel and large single bowl. Much better for dishes! Have fun with the mods!
Old 02-23-2016, 11:00 PM   #59

Quote:
Sure no problem D_TWEEZY. I can actually have my door company UPS the doors directly to you. All I need to know are the sizes you want to give you a quote. Or I can just order the same sizes I used, assuming your cabinet sizes are exactly the same as mine, 2014 23ikss. One thing, the wood used in the trailer is hickory but my door company does not have that wood. Red oak grain patern stains up very similarly and that is what I used. The doors come raw, you would stain and finish them. The cost is roughly $15 per sq/ft plus shipping - probably $35. I'll be at my storage lot this weekend if you want me to measure to get an exact price. Just let me know.
That would be fantastic Mikewcrook! I have the same model year as yours, and I'd be willing to bet the same cabinets inside also. I'd very much appreciate it if you could get me pricing on that. Would you be able to tell me what type of stain and finish you used also? When I saw the pics last of yours, it looked very good match up wise.

I use mostly red oak for all of my wood projects, so that's fine with me. It's what I would most likely have used if I built them myself.

Mods So Far:
Old 02-23-2016, 11:07 PM   #60

Mikewcrook.... Thought I'd show you the kitchen I built. I'm sure it's nothing compared to the level you do professionally, but I did the whole thing for about 3,000 myself, where as Lowes quoted me almost 12,000 to have them do it. It was a lot of work, and I didn't source anything out except the countertops. I even did all the sheet rock, mud, paint floors, electrical, plumbing, everything. Took me about 2 and 1/2 weeks after work to build all the cabinets and doors.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1456286526740.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	100256   Click image for larger version

Name:	1456286550217.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	100257   Click image for larger version

Name:	1456286685142.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	100258  

Mods So Far: