Old 08-07-2013, 07:47 AM   #11

I would do exactly what the directions say."Connect the wires to the power input terminals at the rear of the inverter. Make sure
to match the negative (BLACK) terminal on the inverter with the wire that connects to
the negative terminal on the 12-volt power source. Then repeat this procedure with
the positive (RED) terminal connecting a wire to the positive terminal of the 12-volt
power source. "

Old 08-07-2013, 08:20 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmdnh View Post
I would do exactly what the directions say."Connect the wires to the power input terminals at the rear of the inverter. Make sure
to match the negative (BLACK) terminal on the inverter with the wire that connects to
the negative terminal on the 12-volt power source. Then repeat this procedure with
the positive (RED) terminal connecting a wire to the positive terminal of the 12-volt
power source. "
And make sure you have a 30 amp fuse at the battery side of the red wire as well.

Old 08-07-2013, 08:36 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmdnh View Post
power source. "
Disregard, make that a 50. With the red going to the main line block, you may be pulling more amps than the factory line to the battery can handle. DANGEROUS!
Old 08-07-2013, 08:53 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by wneise View Post
Disregard, make that a 50. With the red going to the main line block, you may be pulling more amps than the factory line to the battery can handle. DANGEROUS!
2nd that.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:03 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2gocamp View Post
The manual doesn't say much. I checked their web site and it doesn't say much either. If I connect it to the frame, is it a problem that the negative is also connected there? So could I just run a wire from the ground screw to the negative screw which are just beside each other?
Thanks.
The small ground connection definitely goes to the frame (the terms 'ground' and 'negative' are the same thing) the purpose of the small ground connection is for safety by grounding the inverters metal box it keeps you from potetially getting shocked. This is the same as the round post on a 110 electrical plug it is a safety ground. As far as connecting to the battery directly this is the best approach because connecting elsewhere actually makes the distance from the inverter to the battery longer (unless you have to use long wires to get to the battery due to inverter location) and you want to keep that distance as short as possible.

Now having said all this about the best approach I add the following: 650 watts is not that large of an inverter, I have a 750 watt inverter in my TT mounted below the fridge and connected the the TT 12 volt supply wires from the battery 10 feet away from the batteries and it works just fine, does not overheat anything.

2000 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager M-8357 MH, Ford Trident V10 Gasser, 35 foot.
Batts-toy is offline   Reply With Quote