Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2013, 03:09 PM   #1

Inverter question

I have 2 solar panels the dealer installed (2x150 w). I then installed a pure sine inverter. I connected the negative to the trailer's frame as that's where the batterie's negative is connected and I the positive to the connection block under the trailer where the batterie's positive is connected. There is a ground connection behind the inverter. Should I connect that? I'm having weird things happening with the trackpads of laptops when they are plugged in the inverter and also iPhone can't be used when plugged in. Would connecting the ground help? And would I connect it to the negative?

Thanks
2gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 10:42 PM   #2

Post a pic of the inverter. If it is pure sine, that means it puts out AC power and should be part of your 120 volt system. However I may be missing something and it combines the solar power and battery to power your 120 volt outlets. Also, are the faulty devices plugged into the 12 volt or 120 volt system?
wneise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 04:55 AM   #3

This is a picture of the inverter. It's a stand alone inverter. Its a 650 watt Sunforce Pro Series. I plugged a power bar to it and then plug my devices to the power bar. The devices get charged properly but I just can use them when they are charging.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-178393722.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	37023
Old 08-06-2013, 05:04 AM   #4

I do think that the second ground is for the box or unit it self. I would try and ground it to the frame also. It should tell you in your manual that came with the unit, that can be your problem. The last inverter I had the body was also grounded but that was on my boat.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 05:20 AM   #5

The manual doesn't say much. I checked their web site and it doesn't say much either. If I connect it to the frame, is it a problem that the negative is also connected there? So could I just run a wire from the ground screw to the negative screw which are just beside each other?
Thanks.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:54 AM   #6

Connecting Your Inverter to the 12 V Power Source
When connecting the inverter to the power source, it is recommended that the thickest wire available be used in
the shortest length possible.
Distance from Battery - ≤4’/ >1.2m - 4-6’ / 1.2 -- 2m - >6’ / >2m
Wire Size - 4 AWG - 2 AWG - 0 or 00 AWG
Use of #0 gauge wire to make the connections to the inverter may require a "0 to 4 Gauge Adapter". This
adapter is available through most electrical supply stores.
1. Make sure the ON/OFF Switch located on the front panel of the inverter is in the
OFF (O) position.
2. Unscrew the red and black caps from the power input terminals located on the rear
of the inverter.
3. Connect the wires to the power input terminals at the rear of the inverter. Make sure
to match the negative (BLACK) terminal on the inverter with the wire that connects to
the negative terminal on the 12-volt power source. Then repeat this procedure with
the positive (RED) terminal connecting a wire to the positive terminal of the 12-volt
power source. Make sure you have good secure connections, but do not over tighten
these screws. And yes the other ground is the chassis ground. It needs to be connected.
pcmdnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:57 AM   #7

And if this is all right then the problem could be with interference. Add a Ferrite Data Line filter.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:58 AM   #8

And I would directly to the battery
Old 08-06-2013, 08:01 AM   #9

Yes, do ground the unit to chassis. Also, did the dealer instal a charge controller with those solar panels? If the battery is putting out more than 15 volts, that could cause some issues too.
Old 08-06-2013, 05:23 PM   #10

My main concern is to have the ground and negative wires together. Is that okay or will it damage it. The dealer did install the 25 amp controller. I never thought of interference. I would have to look into this. Would connecting the negative directly to the battery as suppose to the frame make a difference? The negative of the battery is already connected to the frame.
Thanks again everyone.
Old 08-07-2013, 06:47 AM   #11

I would do exactly what the directions say."Connect the wires to the power input terminals at the rear of the inverter. Make sure
to match the negative (BLACK) terminal on the inverter with the wire that connects to
the negative terminal on the 12-volt power source. Then repeat this procedure with
the positive (RED) terminal connecting a wire to the positive terminal of the 12-volt
power source. "
Old 08-07-2013, 07:20 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmdnh View Post
I would do exactly what the directions say."Connect the wires to the power input terminals at the rear of the inverter. Make sure
power source. "
And make sure you have a 30 amp fuse at the battery side of the red wire as well.
Old 08-07-2013, 07:36 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmdnh View Post
power source. "
Disregard, make that a 50. With the red going to the main line block, you may be pulling more amps than the factory line to the battery can handle. DANGEROUS!
Old 08-07-2013, 07:53 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by wneise View Post
Disregard, make that a 50. With the red going to the main line block, you may be pulling more amps than the factory line to the battery can handle. DANGEROUS!
2nd that.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:03 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2gocamp View Post
The manual doesn't say much. I checked their web site and it doesn't say much either. If I connect it to the frame, is it a problem that the negative is also connected there? So could I just run a wire from the ground screw to the negative screw which are just beside each other?
Thanks.
The small ground connection definitely goes to the frame (the terms 'ground' and 'negative' are the same thing) the purpose of the small ground connection is for safety by grounding the inverters metal box it keeps you from potetially getting shocked. This is the same as the round post on a 110 electrical plug it is a safety ground. As far as connecting to the battery directly this is the best approach because connecting elsewhere actually makes the distance from the inverter to the battery longer (unless you have to use long wires to get to the battery due to inverter location) and you want to keep that distance as short as possible.

Now having said all this about the best approach I add the following: 650 watts is not that large of an inverter, I have a 750 watt inverter in my TT mounted below the fridge and connected the the TT 12 volt supply wires from the battery 10 feet away from the batteries and it works just fine, does not overheat anything.
2000 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager M-8357 MH, Ford Trident V10 Gasser, 35 foot.
Batts-toy is offline   Reply With Quote