Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2019, 01:58 PM   #1

Inverter Size

Looking to get a pure sine wave inverter for my 23ikss. The idea is to be able to put on a movie for the kids or make a pot of coffee without having to run the generator. I am assuming that a 1000w inverter should be able to handle this. Or should I look into 2000w, granted if we want to use the Micro I can easily turn on the generator for that. Battery bank is 2 6v deep cycle batteries, also have a 100w renogy solar suitcase for recharging the batteries. Have been looking at the renogy pure sine inverters. I plan on flipping the converter breaker and plugging in to the inverter with the RV power cord and adapter. From what I gather that will avoid the recharging loop.
PamperCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 02:02 PM   #2
llr

check the coffee pot, it may use as much or more then the microwave and they both would be a very large draw from the battery.

I would just do the TV and a couple hundred watt should be plenty, check the actual labels on the products and size for the largest or sum of ones running at the same time.
TV 2024 F350 DRW - on order
Prior TV 2017 F150 6.5' bed 3.5 Eco-boost Max tow 1800lbs payload
llr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 02:09 PM   #3

The coffee maker is a single serve K-cup, 800 watts. Granted DW and I usually have 2 cups each in the AM.
Old 03-29-2019, 02:09 PM   #4
Site Team

As llr said, figure our what you want to run and get the watt draw off each one and the amount of time they need to run and go from there. I suspect that you'll find that the coffee pot is a much larger draw than you imagine. And given the fact that if it's a percolator it has to run for several minutes at full power.

I also suspect that you'll find that your two batteries won't last nearly as long as you think they will.

Having said all that, I'd go with the largest size you think you'd ever want and get it. that way all you have to do to increase what you can run, and/or how long you can run it, is add battery capacity.
Old 03-29-2019, 02:12 PM   #5
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamperCamper View Post
I plan on flipping the converter breaker and plugging in to the inverter with the RV power cord and adapter. From what I gather that will avoid the recharging loop.
This will work, but you'll quickly find how annoying it is! Especially if you have to go change cords for the generator, too. I did that for 2 weeks and by day 3, wished I had wired it up differently.

Just don't forget! My converter would overload my inverter and shut it down, so no fear of an accidental recharging loop. I definitely did that a time or two...
Old 03-29-2019, 02:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
Having said all that, I'd go with the largest size you think you'd ever want and get it. that way all you have to do to increase what you can run, and/or how long you can run it, is add battery capacity.
That was kind of the thought, currently we only boondock at max 3 nights. Anything over that and the DW wants full hookups. Eventually I would Like to be able to stay around 5 nights in places like Mathers Campground in the Grand Canyon and Grants in Yellowstone. We normally put on just 1 movie at night for the kids to calm down (2 and 4). During the day we really don't use anything as we are out exploring.
Old 03-29-2019, 02:26 PM   #7

I did look at the Inverter chargers, but I think that we are far from that route, bigger battery bank, more solar panels and such.
Old 03-29-2019, 02:31 PM   #8

The one reason I was questioning what size I needed was the fact that I have a cheap Pure sine inverter 1000w. Decided to do a temp hookup just to see. Had no problem turning on the tv but would not power on the stereo/ dvd player. Granted like I said its a cheap one so I did have my surge protector plugged in and it said it was showing reverse polarity. Also had it hooked up off a single 12v DC rather than the 2 6v.
Old 03-29-2019, 02:34 PM   #9
llr

the coffee maker is small so may work. The inverter will draw ~70amps while making coffee so short heavy battery cable are in order and if that 1000W is continuous not peak it should work and a 20 minute total brew should be ~25AH
Old 03-29-2019, 02:46 PM   #10

This is the one I currently have, got it to simply charge batteries for my tools while on jobsites, definitely overkill but picked it up for $25 @ a garage sale. Click image for larger version

Name:	20190329_124040.jpeg
Views:	111
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	200145
Old 03-29-2019, 09:25 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by llr View Post
the coffee maker is small so may work. The inverter will draw ~70amps while making coffee so short heavy battery cable are in order and if that 1000W is continuous not peak it should work and a 20 minute total brew should be ~25AH

Now compare that against what the battery bank holds in "usable" power (50% of total battery bank size). Two 100 ah batteries, that's a quarter of the total available. Even if one has more battery capacity, that power still has to be replaced so bigger solar or longer generator run times when boondocking.

FWIW, my average daily consumption, lights, pump, a movie at night, averages about the same 25 ah and I can go a couple days on my batteries before I HAVE to charge. With that kind of draw, just for coffee, I'd consider cone filter or french press to make coffee. Hot water on the stove top in a lot less time than 20 minutes and save the electricity.

BTW, a Keuring (or similar) coffee maker doesn't take 20 minutes to heat up and brew a cup. In that amount of time one could make quite a few cups. Mine takes 2-3 minutes to initially heat and after each brew another minute or so to heat more water.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 09:33 PM   #12

Quote:
I plan on flipping the converter breaker and plugging in to the inverter with the RV power cord and adapter. From what I gather that will avoid the recharging loop.
I do something similar. I hard wired my inverter to some large gauge cord and run that to a waterproof outlet on the side of my trailer and plug my shore power cord into it. I would do a transfer switch but have zero room for one and didn't want to run more wire under my trailer for it. Would have been a wiring nightmare for my small trailer.

https://www.leviton.com/en/products/15w33

My converter is already almost always turned off anyway since I have 700W of solar.

I have a 2000W inverter and its mainly used for the microwave oven and the TV.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 10:40 PM   #13

How about a French press or a Chemex for coffee. Just a little propane to heat up the water and way better coffee...no drain on the battery! Use the battery for other ‘necessities’.
Old 03-29-2019, 11:06 PM   #14

Inverter Size

I keep a MyJo in the trailer so I can make coffee with the same keurig pods when I don’t have power...Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1528.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	128.1 KB
ID:	200234
Fluffywhitedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 11:21 PM   #15
Site Team

I use this for my K cups. No electricity needed.

Presto 02835 MyJo Single Cup Coffee Maker, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HIXSAXQ..._r6UNCbN577JAH
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 01:08 PM   #16

Thanks for all the info. My other thought rather than plugging my shore power cable into inverter, was to run new outlets next to other outlet that would just be plugged into the inverter. So one next to the front bunk, the TV, thought about the kitchen slide but not sure I want to attempt that. The island might be easier depending on tank locations if its accessible. Thoughts?
Old 04-03-2019, 01:23 PM   #17
Always Learning

Quote:
Thanks for all the info. My other thought rather than plugging my shore power cable into inverter, was to run new outlets next to other outlet that would just be plugged into the inverter. So one next to the front bunk, the TV, thought about the kitchen slide but not sure I want to attempt that. The island might be easier depending on tank locations if its accessible. Thoughts?
An alternative is to pick a circuit breaker that you want to be powered by the inverter and install an Xantrex Automatic Transfer switch. It makes the circuit breaker switch between shore power and inverter power.

Less wiring outlets in the camper, you don't have to move cords, and makes it all automatic.

Inline Transfer Relay
Old 04-03-2019, 01:41 PM   #18

That would be much easier. Will read up on that. Thanks.
Old 04-03-2019, 02:37 PM   #19
Always Learning

Quote:
That would be much easier. Will read up on that. Thanks.
Here's another maker of the same idea. The installation for this one is supposed to be easier:

https://www.amazon.com/KISAE-Technol...motive&sr=1-19
Old 04-03-2019, 02:51 PM   #20
llr

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
In that amount of time one could make quite a few cups. Mine takes 2-3 minutes to initially heat and after each brew another minute or so to heat more water.
I believe the OP mentioned at least 2 people with 2 cups each so I was guessing 10-20 minutes total brew time and chose the worst case. I would never use an inverter for coffee myself.

Tags
inverter