Old 05-08-2016, 02:55 PM   #11

They have been hooking radios up wrong for awhile, I have redone the connections on quite a few for other people. Make sure to pull the speakers and check the wiring on that end also. They pay no attention to polarity and polarity is important for sound quality even with the cheap speakers.

Old 05-08-2016, 03:06 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by urocav2001 View Post
How did you get them to replace the unit for you? And what does it look like? Any different?

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
The radios are identcal, front and back, what makes it a 34? No idea, im hoping an ugrade to the electronics. Even the book is idential other than anything that was labeled 33 now says 34 and seriously, thats it.

As far as getting it replaced i called my salesperson said im out of warrenty by 14 days and my radio wont work. We went through a couple checks on it and he said i will call you right back. Less than 10 minutes later he called and said do you still live here? I said yes, he said your new one will be at your door in 2 days, send us the broke one as soon as you can. Love Haylett RV in Coldwater Mi.

Old 05-08-2016, 04:57 PM   #13

I just posted my same fix for the speakers connected wrong in the modifications forum. I also detailed hooking up the TV antenna for better radio reception in the same post...

Improving the iRV radio reception and sound

Old 05-09-2016, 09:53 AM   #14

Bluetooth tels the tale

We just got back from our maiden voyage with a 2017? Roo 233s. I noticed that when I connected my phone to the radio via Bluetooth it was listed as iRV 34, when I was expecting iRV 33 based on my research. Good to know what is going on there.
In addition the inside speakers sounded _horrible_, no bass, etc. and after reading this thread I assume the wiring is wrong. Speakers not in phase, perhaps wrong channels, etc. I'll pull the head unit off and check later on tonight.

Thanks all!
Old 05-09-2016, 10:26 AM   #15

IRV Radio

I've read several post regarding the poor sound from these radios and to check polarity of the speakers, but when I pulled the speakers there was no designation of plus or minus on the speaker. The wire with the stripe on it was on either terminal of the other speakers. I guess I will use a 1.5 volt battery and try to see if the cone moves out or in when connecting it,then making them all move the same direction. I'm guessing moving out is correct.
Happy Camper 2715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 11:07 AM   #16

Audio is a variable frequency alternating current flow so a VM won't really help. Best thing is to play the radio, pull a speaker and swap the wires + for - on one and see if it sounds like there is more bass. It should be pretty noticeable.
Old 05-09-2016, 12:02 PM   #17

We just got our Rockwood out of the dealer where it has been for the past month with a radio problem. The radio only worked with the remote control when just 2-3 feet in front of the radio. We tried such fixes as pointing the remote control at the ceiling or bouncing the IR signal off a wall or appliance but no luck.
The dealer replaced the radio with a 'new one' and had to trace the speaker wires making sure they were hooked up correctly. The tech found one bad outside speaker which was replaced. The speakers now work fine BUT THE REMOTE STILL ONLY WORKS FROM 2-3 FEET AWAY FROM THE FRONT OF THE RADIO!!! Why even have a remote if it doesn't work from the couch???
Rockwood 2503s
debandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 05:25 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by debandi View Post
We just got our Rockwood out of the dealer where it has been for the past month with a radio problem. The radio only worked with the remote control when just 2-3 feet in front of the radio. We tried such fixes as pointing the remote control at the ceiling or bouncing the IR signal off a wall or appliance but no luck.
The dealer replaced the radio with a 'new one' and had to trace the speaker wires making sure they were hooked up correctly. The tech found one bad outside speaker which was replaced. The speakers now work fine BUT THE REMOTE STILL ONLY WORKS FROM 2-3 FEET AWAY FROM THE FRONT OF THE RADIO!!! Why even have a remote if it doesn't work from the couch???
Thats a weird one you have there. My remote other than looking like something free from harbor freight does work really well. Did you get a new remote with the new radio or did they give you the same remote? I'm wondering if its the remote having the issue?
Old 05-09-2016, 07:02 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by debandi View Post
BUT THE REMOTE STILL ONLY WORKS FROM 2-3 FEET AWAY FROM THE FRONT OF THE RADIO!!! Why even have a remote if it doesn't work from the couch???
That's exactly how the radio worked (or didn't work) in our 21SS. Chucked the remote into the junk drawer the first day.

The inside speakers were wired incorrectly (the same way) in both the 21SS and the 23IKSS. The wire colors were correct - in that they matched to diagram - but they were flat wrong. (They used the wrong color wires during the speaker installs.)
1999 SantaFe / 2001 Sienna
1967 Nimrod / 1998 Outback
Old Eeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 08:27 AM   #20

Our remote had very limited range at first. I replaced the battery with a decent one (not from a dollar store). The range is pretty good now but the sensor doesn't like off-axis signals and the buttons on the remote are not always responsive

I was going to take it apart and clean the keypad well, but I started using my phone instead for the remote and haven't gotten to it yet.

Tags
radio