Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2015, 11:43 AM   #21

It is probably your By pass valve needs to be closed per Ford Idaho' s drawing. This happened to me and the water is only luke warm for a short period. I would check the valve.
brireey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 12:01 PM   #22

Check outside shower valves both off. Temp with hot only should be same from sink or shower.
Harkerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 12:29 PM   #23

As others have said, the hot water tank is very small so start & stop showers are a must. Doing that will preserve the hot water. Another tip is to have both the electric and propane water heaters running while showering. It seems to help the tank keep up better.
You have four places to draw hot water: the kitchen sink, the bathroom sink, the bathroom shower, and the outside shower. The temperature of the hot water should be the same at all four locations, and when it fully heated, it's pretty darn hot. If you walk around the camper and run each faucet for 20 seconds, is the temp consistent between the four?

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2019 Surveyor 251RKS
2008 Ford Expedition EL
DK-in-SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 12:51 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
You have yet to verify that the Valves are turned Correctly and report back. Members are trying to Help and you supply a answer like this (Im not taking a shower to time it)? Youroo!!
I see nothing wrong with his answer? Many are saying that you need to take navy showers because it is only a 6 gallon water heater. What he is saying is that the water isn't getting hot at the shower. He isn't running out of hot water.
Old 06-09-2015, 12:56 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer2Go View Post
The water is warm, so I assume it is not on by-pass. The kitchen sink gets pretty hot, but the shower, with nothing but hot turned on, seems lukewarm after about 5 minutes. I had the hot water on on propane all afternoon, with the camper plugged in to power. I can't believe that's all the hot water I can get.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
In his post he said the kitchen tap is "hot" but not the shower, wonder if he has a kinked hot line to shower behind wall.
wana65stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 01:05 PM   #26

Quote:
The water is warm, so I assume it is not on by-pass. The kitchen sink gets pretty hot, but the shower, with nothing but hot turned on, seems lukewarm after about 5 minutes. I had the hot water on on propane all afternoon, with the camper plugged in to power. I can't believe that's all the hot water I can get.

If I read the above quote correctly he says the hot water in the shower seems lukewarm after about 5 minutes. How long do you think six gallons of hot water is going to last with a continuous flow? That is why I suggested Navy showers.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 01:22 PM   #27

Quote:
I'm not taking a shower to time it. I'm watching to see if it is hot enough. It's lukewarm, and no cold is on at all.

Wet....Soap UP.....Rinse...Dry........
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 01:26 PM   #28

Location: Full timer,,,at Lake Georgetown in central Texas for the winter.
If it's hot when you start and it doesn't last.....that's the nature of the beast. Do you turn it off when you're soaping up? I myself do that and also I turn both hot and cold down so it's not full force. If you take a shower like you did in your sticks and stones with a 30, 40, or 52 gallon water heater, you'll definitely run out of water before you rinse off. You can get shower heads from the RV places that economize the use of water. I did, and I like how they work.
Grampa Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 01:35 PM   #29

Hot and cold water mix in shower

Forgive me if my answer is not very technical. When we first used the shower in our 2015 Vibe, the water was either super hot or super cold. Right below the actual shower head there is a little button you can push. When pushed midway, I got a mix of hot and cold, so it worked!
Pilow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 03:54 PM   #30
Summer2Go

I think I might be mis-reading how to by-pass. I looked at Ford Idaho's pic, and it looks like you are turning the switch between the hot and cold pipes closed so they can't mix together there. I took a flashlight and looked under the bench in my dinette to see better, and I may have caught the problem. I will know when I do another trial run with the water hooked up. I indeed know it is no more hot water than a 5 gal. bucket, but I assumed it would be hot enough to mix with some quantity of cold water to make some more. We are parked in the driveway, spending time figuring out each part of the trailer for a couple more weeks. This is our first experience with a bathroom and hot water, coming from a small Rockwood Freedom pop up. We have moved up to a palace in comparison!

Summer2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 04:10 PM   #31
Summer2Go

Also, I went over all the manual parts, and literature on the water heater. Not great! I have a 2016 Roo, the switch for the electricity is on the main panel by the entry. If the propane is on, and there is water in the HW tank, all I do is turn the doorway switch for HW on, and it starts firing up to make hot water. Right? That's what seemed to happen. The HW heater is gas and electric working together always? If I am camping on battery power, it still works but with battery and propane? I am hearing some confusing stuff about it working on electricity or propane.....

Summer2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 04:11 PM   #32

Yes, it should be hot like at home. You should have to mix the cold at the shower faucet to take a shower else it is to hot. To check the valves on the outside shower turn each on one at a time. I normally bleed the air from the hot water system using the outside shower just after hooking up water and electric. If your camping now a neighbor may give you a hand
Simplewon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 04:19 PM   #33

Best way to bleed off the air is to use the pressure relief valve on the water heater tank.
Old 06-09-2015, 04:25 PM   #34
Site Team

Quote:
Also, I went over all the manual parts, and literature on the water heater. Not great! I have a 2016 Roo, the switch for the electricity is on the main panel by the entry. If the propane is on, and there is water in the HW tank, all I do is turn the doorway switch for HW on, and it starts firing up to make hot water. Right? That's what seemed to happen. The HW heater is gas and electric working together always? If I am camping on battery power, it still works but with battery and propane? I am hearing some confusing stuff about it working on electricity or propane.....

sorry, you must have gotten a terrible PDI from the dealer.
all this was gone over by my RV tech, during our PDI.

the switch inside, is for the WH propane side ONLY! not the electric side. the propane side uses 12v DC battery power to light the WH. the propane side is the quicker heating source and the only way to heat the water, IF you have no shore power or generator power.

the electric side should be accessed through the outside WH access door.
there should be a black toggle switch on the WH and there might be a cotter pin in the switch.
the electric side ONLY works on 110v AC, so it only works if you have shore power or are hooked up to a generator.

this is on the assumption, that your Roo has a Suburban WH, like all the other Roo/Shamrock hybrids.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 04:26 PM   #35

Quote:
It can indeed get confusing. On our 2015 23IKSS, the electric heating element in the tank is controlled by a switch outside the camper in the water heater's exterior access panel. It is just a small on/off switch towards the bottom left. That is what you'd use to control the electric heater. Always be sure there is water in the tank before turning on the electric element - very important.
On the inside of the camper on the control panel by the door, is another water heater switch, but that one is the one that controls the propane heater. When it is on, the switch glows blue. In order for the propane heater to work, this switch has to be on and the propane tanks turned on too.
Hope this helps.

2019 Surveyor 251RKS
2008 Ford Expedition EL
DK-in-SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 04:40 PM   #36

Quote:

Here is a good thread explaining the water heater operation:
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ore-36197.html
Old 06-09-2015, 04:44 PM   #37

Quote:
I think I might be mis-reading how to by-pass. I looked at Ford Idaho's pic, and it looks like you are turning the switch between the hot and cold pipes closed so they can't mix together there. I took a flashlight and looked under the bench in my dinette to see better, and I may have caught the problem. I will know when I do another trial run with the water hooked up. I indeed know it is no more hot water than a 5 gal. bucket, but I assumed it would be hot enough to mix with some quantity of cold water to make some more. We are parked in the driveway, spending time figuring out each part of the trailer for a couple more weeks. This is our first experience with a bathroom and hot water, coming from a small Rockwood Freedom pop up. We have moved up to a palace in comparison!

So, were your valves in the "winter by-pass" position or in the "summer" position"?
crunchman
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 04:44 PM   #38

Here is another image of the bypass valve configuration in the bypass position and in the normal use position. Hope this helps. Let us know what position was yours in.
Old 06-09-2015, 08:30 PM   #39

Yep left the bypass open once had luke warm showers. Sometimes more cold than warm

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums 2015 21ss havein fun
Hicks43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 08:59 PM   #40

Summer I just took a shower in my 21dk and could have burned my skin off if I wanted. I will be anxious to hear your trial with electric and gas on and bypass verified.

The shower is great once you get it dialed in. I was going to get the oxygenic but I think I might stick with original for now. No complaints!

Tags
show, shower, water