Old 06-09-2015, 05:10 PM   #31
Summer2Go

Also, I went over all the manual parts, and literature on the water heater. Not great! I have a 2016 Roo, the switch for the electricity is on the main panel by the entry. If the propane is on, and there is water in the HW tank, all I do is turn the doorway switch for HW on, and it starts firing up to make hot water. Right? That's what seemed to happen. The HW heater is gas and electric working together always? If I am camping on battery power, it still works but with battery and propane? I am hearing some confusing stuff about it working on electricity or propane.....

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Old 06-09-2015, 05:11 PM   #32

Yes, it should be hot like at home. You should have to mix the cold at the shower faucet to take a shower else it is to hot. To check the valves on the outside shower turn each on one at a time. I normally bleed the air from the hot water system using the outside shower just after hooking up water and electric. If your camping now a neighbor may give you a hand

2014 Jeep SRT...did not trade
Simplewon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 05:19 PM   #33

Best way to bleed off the air is to use the pressure relief valve on the water heater tank.
Old 06-09-2015, 05:25 PM   #34
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer2Go View Post
Also, I went over all the manual parts, and literature on the water heater. Not great! I have a 2016 Roo, the switch for the electricity is on the main panel by the entry. If the propane is on, and there is water in the HW tank, all I do is turn the doorway switch for HW on, and it starts firing up to make hot water. Right? That's what seemed to happen. The HW heater is gas and electric working together always? If I am camping on battery power, it still works but with battery and propane? I am hearing some confusing stuff about it working on electricity or propane.....

sorry, you must have gotten a terrible PDI from the dealer.
all this was gone over by my RV tech, during our PDI.

the switch inside, is for the WH propane side ONLY! not the electric side. the propane side uses 12v DC battery power to light the WH. the propane side is the quicker heating source and the only way to heat the water, IF you have no shore power or generator power.

the electric side should be accessed through the outside WH access door.
there should be a black toggle switch on the WH and there might be a cotter pin in the switch.
the electric side ONLY works on 110v AC, so it only works if you have shore power or are hooked up to a generator.

this is on the assumption, that your Roo has a Suburban WH, like all the other Roo/Shamrock hybrids.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 05:26 PM   #35

Quote:
It can indeed get confusing. On our 2015 23IKSS, the electric heating element in the tank is controlled by a switch outside the camper in the water heater's exterior access panel. It is just a small on/off switch towards the bottom left. That is what you'd use to control the electric heater. Always be sure there is water in the tank before turning on the electric element - very important.
On the inside of the camper on the control panel by the door, is another water heater switch, but that one is the one that controls the propane heater. When it is on, the switch glows blue. In order for the propane heater to work, this switch has to be on and the propane tanks turned on too.
Hope this helps.

2015 Shamrock 23IKSS
2008 Ford Expedition EL
DH-DW-D3K-DMTTSAP
DK-in-SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 05:40 PM   #36

Quote:

Here is a good thread explaining the water heater operation:
Suburban's electric switch and much more
Old 06-09-2015, 05:44 PM   #37

Quote:
I think I might be mis-reading how to by-pass. I looked at Ford Idaho's pic, and it looks like you are turning the switch between the hot and cold pipes closed so they can't mix together there. I took a flashlight and looked under the bench in my dinette to see better, and I may have caught the problem. I will know when I do another trial run with the water hooked up. I indeed know it is no more hot water than a 5 gal. bucket, but I assumed it would be hot enough to mix with some quantity of cold water to make some more. We are parked in the driveway, spending time figuring out each part of the trailer for a couple more weeks. This is our first experience with a bathroom and hot water, coming from a small Rockwood Freedom pop up. We have moved up to a palace in comparison!

So, were your valves in the "winter by-pass" position or in the "summer" position"?
crunchman
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 05:44 PM   #38

Here is another image of the bypass valve configuration in the bypass position and in the normal use position. Hope this helps. Let us know what position was yours in.
Old 06-09-2015, 09:30 PM   #39

Yep left the bypass open once had luke warm showers. Sometimes more cold than warm

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums 2015 21ss havein fun
Old 06-09-2015, 09:59 PM   #40

Summer I just took a shower in my 21dk and could have burned my skin off if I wanted. I will be anxious to hear your trial with electric and gas on and bypass verified.

The shower is great once you get it dialed in. I was going to get the oxygenic but I think I might stick with original for now. No complaints!

Tags
show, shower, water