Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2014, 08:24 PM   #1

Issue with NEW 2014 233S!

I wanted to share my story with you to get some insight on how, or what I should request from FR regarding my situation.

Background – My family and I are new to camping and decided after a tent trip last year to purchase a camper. We looked around at pop ups and other units but ended up deciding on a NEW Rockwood Roo 233s. Once we decide on the model, I did my research and got a few quotes from RV dealers in the Midwest. I found one very competitive offer, and the local dealer matched the price so I ordered the unit around Nov of 2013.

Once the unit was in stock at the dealer, my wife and I went in and completed the purchase paperwork in January. At that point we also walked thru the unit just to check it out knowing that we would have a full walk thru when we took delivery in April. So, here is where my issues begin…
First off, I had to make multiple phone calls to get the walk thru scheduled with the dealer. I guess closing on the unit in January back fired on me because no one knew how to handle the situation.

Next, when my wife and I arrived for the walk thru on Friday the floor was damaged. The story I was told is that when they were extending the slide out for our walk thru it caught the flooring and ripped it. I am not going to blame the dealer here but if I would not have closed on the unit I might have just walked away from it due to the potential ongoing issue we could have with the flooring being replaced after the unit was built. Now the entire floor has to be replaced by the dealer under warranty.

In addition to the vinyl floor ripping, I also noted to the dealer dark spots on the carpet and that the USB connector on the stereo is not working. I just wonder if anyone did a factory inspection on this unit.

I am going to write FR, but wanted to get some input from experienced RV owners on my situation.

If you were in my situation, what would you do and/or ask FR to do to make my situation right?

Second question, does anyone think that it is the slide being defective? My thought is that if we replace the floor it might just rip again if the slide is the issue. I noticed some lines on the floor after your open the slide (see picture).

BTW – We just got back from 10 day trip down to Disney for Spring Break with it and beside my flooring issue we love the trailer!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0581.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	49855   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0582.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	49856   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0587.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	49857   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0580.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	49858   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0586.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	49859  

Bob1510a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 08:42 PM   #2

Sorry to hear your problem w/ the floor.
We too just too delivery of our 233S beginning of April and the caulk around the front bed keeps cracking. I may be on the phone w/ FR as well. Sad to see a new camper with issues from the start.
Where did you buy from? You mention you where at Disney. We live in Florida and took delivery at Orlando RV. (not that that's problem but not sure how they will address our issue).
ParrishCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 08:45 PM   #3

We got it from a dealer in Michigan, Lloyd Bridges Travel Land.

I know it is not there fault, but am starting to get annoyed at the lack of any urgency by them to correct my issue.

Fort Wilderness was great! Loved the weather after a long Michigan winter
Bob1510a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 08:59 PM   #4

For us, we have the same floor rip...inherited from the previous owner. They ripped it by NOT stowing the table correctly, and then closing the slide out; thus it put a tear in the floor. It is possible your dealer did the same, and there may not be a problem with the slide. Not sure what is under the slide that would do that...but, it should be rather easy to see...by lifting the carpet edging ....etc... Glad your floor is getting fixed...our fix is a nice small area rug screwed to the floor. Note....the slide does not catch on that rug...slides right over it.
2010 Expedition EL Limited 3:73 with Air Suspension
Roocrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 09:24 PM   #5

Sorry to hear about the troubles. Glad you like the Roo otherwise. It does seem odd that the slide is operating fine now, but left those huge marks in the floor at your PDI. I assume it was opened when you saw it in January? Maybe somebody at the dealership got something caught underneath.

The fact that you bought it in January and picked it up in April shouldn't have been an issue. That's very common in cold climates. As far as recourse, FR has to make it right, but they don't have to give you a new unit or compensate you for the hastle. This process of making it right is a combined effort between the dealer and the factory. If you think the dealer is part of the problem, you may want to see what options you have to get the work done elsewhere. And, in some instances, FR will do warranty jobs at the factory - who pays the cost of getting it there and back is another issue. I pasted a link below. In post # 2 there is a list of warranty and parts contacts for FR. The Roo Warranty Administrator on there is probably your best bet. Call or e-mail and see what they say. That person would probably know if the type of issue you had wih your slide has occurred before and what caused it. The warranty person should also have a good idea of how difficult a job the floor replacement is.

The minor stuff like the stereo, unfortunately, is fairly common. We had 7 or 8 little issues and a loose bunk door latch after our first season. Dropped the camper off at the dealer last fall and they did a nice job of fixing everything on the list, even the cheap screen door latch that broke. No charge, no hastle. You can find lots of debate on here about initial quality control, but at the end of the day, most units have small issues and FR seems to take care of them. For the floor though, I would talk to the warranty administrator and see what kind of response you get.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...nfo-50847.html

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 10:25 PM   #6

I have a 2012 roo and when I took delivery my dealer told me the floor was more delicate then it should be and to be very careful that the table is stored properly and there is no debris like rocks or pebbles otherwise the floor could rip. I have been careful and so far do good. My dealer is in PA family camping they are awesome not afraid to tell you the truth.
johncuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 06:55 AM   #7

That's too bad. My comments are of no help to the OP, but, might benefit others contemplating a cold weather walk through.

In October 2011 we purchased our 23SS (gave dealer a small deposit) and it was delivered to the dealer in January 2012. We requested a walk through to see if the trailer has all the options we ordered, correct colours etc. We did not deploy the slide out or awning or bunk ends as it was sub-zero and snowing.

Had we noticed any obvious deficiencies the delaer would have a couple of months to correct it.

We then picked up the trailer and made final payment in April 2012 with a complete walk through and PDI.

good luck.

2017 GMC SLT HD All Terrain Crew Cab (6' 6" Box) 2012 Roo 23SS
E2 Trunnion WDH (1,000 lb / 10,000 lb)
Dave Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 02:32 AM   #8

What is the proper way to stow the dining table? We were told it did not matter but have noticed marks on our floor as well?
DEBailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 11:29 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEBailey View Post
What is the proper way to stow the dining table? We were told it did not matter but have noticed marks on our floor as well?
FR and dealers recommend table down in the bed position. with the free standing tables, they have a tendency to "walk" during transport.
if it was a pedestal table, it would be different.

we always tow ours with the table down, so we can use the dinette to stow things like zero gravity chairs, awning mat, other chairs and other flat things.
with the table up, you lose a lot of storage area.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 02:16 PM   #10

Agreed....table down in bed position.
2010 Expedition EL Limited 3:73 with Air Suspension
Roocrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2014, 233, 233s