Old 03-22-2016, 10:04 AM   #51

The only thing that will make me (eventually) get rid of my HTT is making the damn bed. I'm already getting tired of crawling around wrestling with the sheets.

PI hardwired EMC, Wire Shelving in wardrobe
Plexiglass screen door protector, Blue LED Wine nook
stairs, and counting...
karrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 11:58 AM   #52
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
I have owned two hybrids that had LCI securelock door/tent assemblies which are used on every other brand of hybrid except Rockwood, Flagstaff, and Palomino, and I have worked on both Rockwood and Palomino HTT's. If the doors leak when closed it is only one of, or a combination of 4 things.
1, A bad overall installation from the factory including bad sealants.
2, A bad seal installation from the factory.
3, User abuse such as bending the middle of the door itself from overloading so it no longer seals.
4, Operator error such as closing with canvas in the seal.

Any dealer tech that can not solve a leak issue is either not trying to solve it or a moron. Its not the space shuttle. When you get right down to it there is no difference between a Hybrid bunk door and an outside kitchen door or a storage compartment door. They're all just an opening with a rubber seal.
There aren't any NASA employees at the manufacturing plant for these hydrids.

I'm still convinced that my ongoing leak problems were from improperly installed screws that hold the bed door frames in the wall openings. On both the front and rear doors, the person putting the screws into the frame didn't install the screws at a right angle and the screw heads didn't sit flush with the adjacent surface preventing a good seal. I had the bunk doors replaced because of delamination and I replaced the white pinch welt seal on the door edges twice. It was better when I sold it, but I was tired of worrying about it so I moved to a regular TT.

2009 Ford F-150 XLT SuperCrew, 5.4L, 5'6" bed (2012 - 2016)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 01:48 PM   #53

It's a hybrid thing...you wouldn't understand

I camped in tents for years, then as I grew up and had more money I bought my first RV a used 33ft Shasta. It served me well but the layout and length was just a pain with some CG's have tights spots due to trees.

My buddy bought a Roo 21SS loved the idea of towing smaller but useful space until I saw the 23ikss. I bought my first new camper and only one I will ever own new in April 2015, although I love the layout and space my Shasta had the shower doors and would love to have that in this one but I do love the usefulness of the Roo.

Ppl always ask me isn't it annoying hearing all the noises and quite frankly it is not, the mattresses are comfortable and it has so many uses even if I don't want the ends out I have a Full Sofa Bed that is comfy for quick trips but honestly this thing is all I need as much as I would love a 5er not worth having to buy a diesel when I just bought my new F150 SCREW SB EB works perfectly and this thing is easy to tow.

I guess unless you own one some folks just won't get it. A friend has a 35' Bunkhouse and they always complain about getting around some CG's, at less than 25' I don't have those issues, and my tanks fit our uses for the GF and I just fine.
Old 03-23-2016, 01:02 PM   #54

Thanks for the fun feedback everyone...what a great response. It just struck me when I went to argue the merits of ownership and stopped myself short. I realized it simply doesn't make sense for most people. If you "get it", the things everyone else cites as a disadvantage we view as an advantage. I definitely see less of them for sale around here so I am guessing our ranks are shrinking. That had me feeling even more like part of a special club.

You definitely need to understand the unique aspects of ownership and I am sure hybrids are traded in quickly by an awful lot of people that don't enjoy those aspects. For me it just makes the camping experience that much greater knowing I have so many options at my disposal. No bunks open, two bunks open, one bunk open, sleep in same bed....sleep in different beds....darker with pugs, brighter than any other camper without them. My favorite thing is being able to lounge in an airy, canvas tent end where the entire outside is inside and that familiar scent of camping only to stand up 2 seconds later and enjoy all of the conveniences of home in the same room.
Old 03-23-2016, 01:24 PM   #55

Maybe we can get 1%er patches. Identify each other while blending in at outlaw biker bars.
2 Old Town kayaks & 2 Boston Terriers - Zoey/Gonzo
Lar & Ruth
55 nights camping in 2015, 45 in 2016
CNYCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 01:27 PM   #56

Well now that you mentioned it I really want that!
Old 03-23-2016, 01:39 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYCamper View Post
Maybe we can get 1%er patches. Identify each other while blending in at outlaw biker bars.
The last time I stumbled upon the what type RV are you in poll thread hybrids were at 13% overall.
Old 03-23-2016, 01:42 PM   #58

I do think they are becoming less and less common, I don't see any Palamino Solaire's in NJ, PA or NY, I hardly see Roo's and almost never see Surveyor's or Coachmens.

Palamino even dropped the 197x which sort of competes with the Roo 23ikss.

I think they get a bad rep bc everyone tells me oh you have one of those, the tent ends will eventually leak and then what are you going to do?
Old 03-23-2016, 02:11 PM   #59

I don't think the local jayco dealer carries them anymore. I had a friend shopping for one and the sales people were strongly discouraging the hybrid route. They probably aren't wrong to do so for most people I suppose but it was another sign they are shrinking in market share.

If this forum is any indication the 1 percenters may be small in number but we seem to be as active and passionate as an ownership group could possibly be. Hopefully FR continues to invest in the hybrids...seems like they are getting close to having the market to themselves.
Old 03-23-2016, 03:09 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicked1 View Post
I do think they are becoming less and less common
I do not agree with that.

Hybrids were being pushed to a certain market, younger with children. Then around 2010/11 they, they being the entire industry both manufacturers and dealers, figured something out. We can push the stick and tin bunkhouse to that same market and increase the profit margin.

A top of the line 23' ish Hybrid sells for the same as, and sometimes substantially more than, a stick and tin 26'-30' bunkhouse. It costs a lot more to build a hybrid. There is more profit per unit in a stick and tin trailer. The bunk doors and tents adds a substantial extra cost in materials and extra labor on the line.

I have been told that same scenario now by 3 different dealers "off the record". On the record the story is "sales slowed down". Not even close as if you have less people selling them logic will tell you sales will slow down. I have been camping in a Hybrid since 2010 and I see more now than I did then. It may be a regional thing but Rockwood / Flagstaff has been pumping out a lot of Hybrids. Keystone quit on the Passport line of hybrids after the 2014 model year but are back with 3 models for 2016. If there was no market or the market was slowing do you think they would have brought them back after what amounted to a 2 year hiatus?

Tags
hybrid