Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaboingy View Post
What TT do you have?
Per their signature "2011 Primetime 3150BHD Touring Edition"

Old 03-24-2016, 11:59 AM   #82
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
No one individual unit is any indication of anything. If it leaked that bad someone didnt know what they were doing or you just got the lemon. I know half a dozen people with Jayco Hybrids and they love them. No difference really between a Jayco hybrid, a Dutchmen(aerolite,kodiak,coleman), Keystone, KZ,Coachmen, and a few others. All of those use the LCI bunk door assemblies. Rockwood \ Flagstaff\Palomino are the only brands that do their own thing and frankly I wish I could of ordered my 23WS Roo with the LCI doors. I have now had 2 with those assemblies and no leaks other than a split caulk seam from freeze\thaw. Hybrids once had inherihent issues with bunk doors when they first came out. That was in the 90's until 00 or so. Since then they have been rock solid unless you get a bad one the same as any other TT. To suggest otherwise is simply wrong.
I disagree with much of this.

Based on my observations of hybrids at RV shows and dealers, there is a big difference in the workmanship quality of the brands you listed. I was looking seriously at the Keystone Passports based on YouTube videos until I actually saw one in person. I've never been impressed with any Jaycos.

IMO, Rockwoods and Flagstaff hybrids are better than most if not all the others but they are far from perfect.

From what I've read, the LCI bunk doors and Forest River's bunk doors both had a lot of problems until at least 2010. The newer permanently sealed tenting (introduced on FR hybrids around 2011 or 2012) is a better design but the bunk door leak complaints still persist.

My experience with my 2010 Roo 23SS with the bungie cords was great except for a persistent leak through both door seals due to poor workmanship at the factory and a design that didn't eliminate the possibility of that poor workmanship. There are hundreds of complaints about hybrid bunk doors leaking just on this forum so there must be tenfold more owners with bunk door leaks that don't find this forum.

Now, that's not to say they're all bad. I know there are lots of happy owners - hopefully the majority are happy. It's just that they are inherently more prone to leaks than regular TTs because of the large holes in the walls for the bunk doors. The fact that they rely heavily on unskilled workers paid based on piece work makes them more of a risk to have problems.

2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)
2009 Ford F-150 XLT SuperCrew, 5.4L, 4x4, 5'6" bed (2012 - 2016)

itat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 01:26 PM   #83

I think you are probably right about leaks on the closed doors but as always there is usually more to the story. A lot were probably defective, but also a lot were probably user error/accidents. A lot also could be prevented with some of the PVC/hose solutions discussed here regularly. Should you have to add a PVC pipe to keep water out of your bunks? No, but that brings me full circle to the point of this thread. To really understand the fun that is a hybrid is to really understand you might have to get creative to make it work. Hopefully they will come up with a fool-proof system one of these days....seems pretty easy to me to manufacture an end that would be recessed so that the seals were not exposed but I am no engineer.

I just know as part of this club I have a higher chance of risk, but with that comes a higher reward.
Old 03-24-2016, 02:13 PM   #84

Roovader I think what you said goes in part to any sort of RV. We all seem to take the trailers and modify them to our needs and what we like, I have yet to come across many people who buy one and do not make some sort of customization to it. To that point every RV has their pros and cons, meaning they all have great things and they all sort of have flaws. I am at a loss for some of the simple things they neglect to do, quality control really is an issue with most if not all of them. I thought the Auto and Boat industry was bad with that but I think RV Mfg's are worse at this. As long as ppl customize due to needs and preference and realize that no matter how much $ we put in, these RV's all depreciate, unlike a house.
Old 03-25-2016, 07:37 AM   #85

I'm not sure of this "user error" or "someone doing something wrong" that has been tossed out several times regarding the reason for a leak. Closing a bunk end isn't rocket science. Main thing is to make sure all of the fabric is tucked inside.
And as far as working on and modifying a camper, I "get" that. I restored a 1972 from the ground up. But that was a free camper. If I pay $15,000 plus for a new camper, I shouldn't have to be using pvc pipes and hoses to keep it from leaking.
Old 03-25-2016, 04:54 PM   #86

First of all, I wasn't trying to throw stones or anything like that in regards to user error. I am just saying there are definitely defective bunk ends and even the most careful owner had issues. I was agreeing there is an increased chance of leaks with a hybrid.

I am also saying the doomsday reports of leaky hybrids are exaggerated because it is VERY easy to get a little fabric or leaves or something else caught in the seal. There is also the fact that open bunks versus closed bunks all get tossed in together as "leaky hybrids". I contributed to this when I came calling for help when mine was leaking and it just turned out to be inadequate seasoning.

Long story short, there are leaks from a defect...there are leaks from user error/misunderstanding....and the truth of how likely a hybrid is to leak is more complicated than just reading reports on the internet.

I also agree many enthusiasts of all campers "mod" their campers and I was not suggesting that was unique to hybrids. My point is the hybrid lends itself to different modifications and different camping setups for the type of person that likes to think outside of the box just by virtue of having expandable ends that are optional. That opens up a whole world of configuration possibilities. It is a little more of a blank "canvas"...which opens up a world of possibilities in camping options. See what i did there!
Old 03-25-2016, 06:38 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMP44 View Post
Its a cost / practicality thing. The furnace and the 2 short ducts sit on top of the floor. With a slide out on each side, there is no place to run a duct above the floor to the front half of the camper. That would mean running duct work underneath and it would be exposed.

I found a nice electric fireplace to fit under the TV last fall. Made a huge difference having some heat up front. I also swapped the thermostat for a digital one last spring, and that was a huge improvement as well.

We love our hybrid and have no plans to get anything else. We go the rv how every year for something to do, but to get the same features we have now in regular tt puts you in something around 35 feet long and that won't fit where we like to camp.
Can someone tell me what model number t stat will work as a direct replacement?
PI hardwired EMC, Wire Shelving in wardrobe
Plexiglass screen door protector, Blue LED Wine nook
stairs, and counting...
karrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 07:12 PM   #88

Robot Check
The Coleman isn't the cheapest, but its an exact replacement as far as wiring and it needs no batteries. Most household T-stats don't have the 2 speed fan switch. Shop around for price on the Coleman and it comes in white or black.

2005 F-150 FX4
2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 07:36 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
We loved our 2010 Roo. In 2013, we did a trip to the Canadian Maritimes with it and the little extra setup times wasn't a big deal except when we had to setup in pouring rain in Fundy NP! However, I didn't love the constant effort to keep the bunk end seals from leaking and the constant worry about it. Hopefully my experience was not representative of the majority's experience.
I'd be interested in what you think of camping in Fundy National Park. I live in NB and was considering a trip there even though it doesn't look too kid friendly.
Old 04-29-2016, 08:39 PM   #90
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomsonr View Post
I'd be interested in what you think of camping in Fundy National Park. I live in NB and was considering a trip there even though it doesn't look too kid friendly.
I really can't give you much of an opinion on the park itself. We only spent 2 nights at Fundy National Park and didn't explore the park at all. We just used it as a base camp. As I said it was pouring down rain the first night so it was literally a wash, and we spent the entire next day at Hopewell Rocks (at high tide in the morning and low tide in the evening) with a trip up to Moncton in between. We got back the second night in time to have a campfire and left for Cavendish, PEI the next day.

We stayed in the Chignecto Campground and it was nicely wooded. The sites were a nice size and it was very clean and well maintained. The comfort station was fairly typical but the showers were larger than our provincial parks. The water was nice and warm - I really needed the warm shower after setting up the Roo in pouring rain! The Headquarters Campground down by Alma seemed a bit more open.

2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)
2009 Ford F-150 XLT SuperCrew, 5.4L, 4x4, 5'6" bed (2012 - 2016)

itat is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
hybrid