Old 03-19-2016, 01:57 PM   #1
It's a hybrid wouldn't understand

You know it is funny how owning a hybrid reminds me of my days owning a wrangler. Yesterday someone asked why on earth I own a hybrid. They pointed out it is a huge box to tow, takes extra time to set up, and has tent ends to deal with.

I thought about it for a minute and realized for 99% of the world they were absolutely right. The thing is, if you are the 1% that "get it", you realize you get all of the creature comforts, still get to sleep in a tent, and have the utility to sleep extra people, tow less length, and really have less than 5 minutes extra setup time.

I started thinking about how much I like to mess with my camper. I like setting up, I like modding to make it that much more mine, I like figuring out how to pull just one more ounce of utility out of it.

It reminds me of how unique it felt to own a niche vehicle and how fun it was to be able to experience things that others wouldn't appreciate or understand...not that I blame them a bit. It is pretty fun being part of such a unique group.

RPod 183g
2013 F150 FX4 EB
RooVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 02:56 PM   #2
Funny I told my salesman "hybrid owners are all freaks but we know we are and don't care!"
You will never understand!

2016 Shamrock 23WS
Mainframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 02:57 PM   #3
HERE HERE ROO VADER!!! I'm a member of your club, we LOVE sleeping under canvas and call me goofy, but I ABSOLUTELY LOVE the setup and pack up effort!
Ed & Chris
Josh & Jaclyn
2012 Suburban LTZ
2013 Rockwood Roo 233S
ebemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 03:19 PM   #4
Canadian Member
We loved our 2010 Roo. In 2013, we did a trip to the Canadian Maritimes with it and the little extra setup times wasn't a big deal except when we had to setup in pouring rain in Fundy NP! However, I didn't love the constant effort to keep the bunk end seals from leaking and the constant worry about it. Hopefully my experience was not representative of the majority's experience.
2011 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8293SS, 12K Equal-i-zer
2016 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCrew, 6.2L, 4x4, 6'9" bed, 3.73
Fondly remembered:
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)
2009 Ford F-150 XLT SuperCrew, 5.4L, 4x4, 5'6" bed (2012 - 2016)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 03:20 PM   #5
Our first, and up until 6 days from now only campers were pop-ups. My wife never ever camped before she suggested we go look at a camper a co-worker was selling. Problem for us was, before buying a camper, we loved to travel around the great state of Michigan and the cost of hotel rooms was killing us! Luckily we had a barely adequate tow vehicle and we bought our first camper, a Coleman Utah, which served us well for a few years until one particularly rainy camp trip convinced us how uncomfortable spending any waking hours in that thing was. Prior we spent as little waking hours inside as was necessary.

Our next pop-up, which we are currently selling, was a Starcraft Centennial high wall with a bathroom, air conditioning, oven, microwave, power lift system and residential height counters. It towed MUCH better than the Coleman and was much more comfortable, and we got lots of use out of it. However it still involved lots of set-up & tear down time and our kids were outgrowing it, although we still loved to sleep under canvas. What to do?? Buying a travel trailer would involve much less set-up & tear down, but we would lose the experience of sleeping under canvas, and bedroom space is so inefficient in a travel trailer. Buying a hybrid was the next, and really only logical step. We pick up our brand new Roo 233S next week, and CAN"T WAIT!!

Having a camper has opened up so many opportunities for us to travel and explore. We have spent time in places in my home state of Michigan, in Ohio and in Niagara Falls Canada that we would have had much less of an opportunity to ever visit, and not just day trips, but real time to explore and experience.
MiCamper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 03:55 PM   #6
You are all absolutely right. If you get it you get it and if you don't you never will. You get a awesome camper with all the coffers of home with about 5 minutes if that of extra setup time we just got our 21Dk yesterday upgraded from a popup and I can't wait to go camping and enjoy myself

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Robs1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 04:13 PM   #7
I have both a 30ish foot Wildwood travel trailer on a seasonal site and a Wildwood 17XL Hybrid. I love the ease of unlocking the door and starting camping at the seasonal site but also love the ease of hooking up the hybrid to go elsewhere and set up for a weekend to do something different. My late wife loved the hybrid until we got the big trailer and my girlfriend loves it because it is different and unique. Although much smaller and tighter inside it is comfy and cozy for two plus a couple of dogs.
2013 Wildwood 29BHBS
2009 Toyota Tacoma
The crew;
Tally the Greyhound and Itty the Chihuahua
rockin'ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 05:28 PM   #8
I understand. We had a hybrid 2 campers ago and agree with all the people here that 'get it'. It worked great as we traveled the country. With 3 bed ends it gave DS and DD their own space. You tow a camper X' feet long but once open it seems so much larger.
2013 Palomino Sabre 34REQS-6

Link to pics:
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 06:57 PM   #9
We just bought a 23ws.....and this is our third hybrid . I think we get it !
Drenjoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 08:32 PM   #10
I loved my hybrid...when I had it in my possession. I didn't like how it leaked like a screen door. It spent more time at the dealer than in my driveway.

2016 Flagstaff 23LB
howie70 is offline   Reply With Quote