Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2016, 05:01 PM   #21
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drenjoey View Post

I thought that since I put my question in the ( expandable and hybrid forum), I would get answers only from folks who have that type of camper!
I know what you mean but smart devices have changed the way many of us view the forum. I don't even notice which forum I am reading when using my iPhone. On my desktop computer it also makes a difference if I view the site by selecting a forum or going for "Today's Posts" options.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 05:18 PM   #22
Site Team

Quote:
Your Cardinal has two grey tanks ( But it's a fifth wheel ) .

Don't forget that what I have is an Hybrid ! and as MrHavercamp mentioned: I have two 33 gallons tanks on my Roo ( One black and one grey ).

Why can't the factory install one 22 gallon black tank and two 22 gallons grey tanks.

I guess that would be too easy !!!!!!!
There are people that never use their black tanks. There are also people that vary rarely use their grey tanks. So it's really a toss-up as to which tank should be bigger. It will vary person to person. I guess just making them the same size makes the most sense.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 05:27 PM   #23

I will be doing 6 days in Florida in April and bought a tote for that very reason. I guess the good news is that I would much rather dump the gray water twice!
Old 02-18-2016, 05:40 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archicamper View Post
I will be doing 6 days in Florida in April and bought a tote for that very reason. I guess the good news is that I would much rather dump the gray water twice!
x2 on that. I'd rather dump the grey every other day than do 1 black. I've never filled the black in a week of camping with a family of 4+ (5 kids but 3 have left the nest). Though the tank led's always say it's full.
Old 02-18-2016, 05:54 PM   #25

Quote:
Your Cardinal has two grey tanks ( But it's a fifth wheel ) .

Why can't the factory install one 22 gallon black tank and two 22 gallons grey tanks.

I guess that would be too easy !!!!!!!
We had an Aerolite 185 Hybrid, about the same as a Roo 19 floor plan. It had 52 gallon fresh, 22 gallon black, and 39 gallon grey.

22 gallon black was not enough. When we went to a Keystone 235 hybrid we welcomed the 30 gallon black it had but it also only had a 30 gallon grey, and the advertised 30 gallon fresh was really only 24 gallons. I ended up adding another 24 gallon fresh and lived with the grey.

When we bring the 23WS home the first mod is to add another 39 gallon fresh, its sitting in my dining room. I think the only way they could make me happy would be 60/60/60

I don't really mind dragging the tote down to the dump station once on a 10 night stay. I usually empty the black and run that down to the dump in the tote, and then haul the tote back full to refill the freshwater tank. Saves gas that way.

On a side note back in the 70's and even into the 80's at PA state parks, I remember everyone used to just run the grey out into the woods. It never caused an environmental catastrophe. No one ever complained about it. The parks are still there, the campgrounds are still there, and the woods are still there.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 07:38 PM   #26

Mr Havercamp says:

22 gallon black was not enough. When we went to a Keystone 235 hybrid we welcomed the 30 gallon black it had but it also only had a 30 gallon grey, and the advertised 30 gallon fresh was really only 24 gallons. I ended up adding another 24 gallon fresh and lived with the grey.

22 gallon black tank is not enough for how long !!!!!........... For me it would be more than enough for a week !

As Deartruc said: 4 people and it can't fill a black tank in a week !!
Drenjoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 07:49 PM   #27

Quote:
Don't forget that I have a Hybrid
Our 34' 2-slide TT only has a 30 gray, 30 black, and 42 FW so it's "1/2 ton towable"... When our family of 5 is staying 10 days at state parks I use a 42 gal. Barker waste tote to truck-away gray but am glad the black lasts until we leave... We also have a 40 gallon expandable water bladder to carry back FW so our family of 5 can take showers in the TT vs. shower houses full of bugs... The Oxygenics shower head helps to reduce water usage.
2017-31; 2016-36; 2015-37; 2014-31

The_Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 08:01 PM   #28

Quote:

22 gallon black tank is not enough for how long !!!!!........... For me it would be more than enough for a week !

As Deartruc said: 4 people and it can't fill a black tank in a week !!
9 or 10 nights from a Thursday to Sunday or Monday a week following. If it was just me that's one thing. My wife has a real problem with campfires and beer and wine. After the first few shes not walking up the hill no more to the campground facilities Then you have my daughter in law, and the teenage nieces. You get women around a bathroom in a trailer and the next thing you know your lugging the tote tank down the road.
Old 02-18-2016, 08:07 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
9 or 10 nights from a Thursday to Sunday or Monday a week following. If it was just me that's one thing. My wife has a real problem with campfires and beer and wine. After the first few shes not walking up the hill no more to the campground facilities Then you have my daughter in law, and the teenage nieces. You get women around a bathroom in a trailer and the next thing you know your lugging the tote tank down the road.
They need to take the tote ~~ but we know that will not happen! I try real hard for full hook up sites as I no longer have a tote and would not use it if I did. Now old and gray so ~~ no way.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 08:15 AM   #30

I can't comment on the smarts of this mod. But I did see a mod where a person added an overflow connection from the gray to the black tank, with a check valve I believe. Like I said, not something I would do, but maybe could be an option if you did it right.
Old 02-19-2016, 08:24 AM   #31
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Clip....
I don't really mind dragging the tote down to the dump station once on a 10 night stay. I usually empty the black and run that down to the dump in the tote, and then haul the tote back full to refill the freshwater tank. Saves gas that way.
You ARE talking two different totes here... aren't you?

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 08:32 AM   #32

ewwww..can't believe you even went there LOL
Old 02-19-2016, 08:36 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
You ARE talking two different totes here... aren't you?
Why would I go out and buy 2 totes, those damn things are expensive.

I can't believe it took more than 12 hours for someone to catch that

Have you ever seen someone tow a Barker tank too fast and too far for too long? One of the ones that have no wheel bearings, just plastic wheels on a steel axle. The warning to not exceed 5mph is there for a reason. The wheels will heat up, melt, and fly right off. It doesnt take long to wear through one of those poly tanks on 30 yr old asphalt. I seen a guy have a pooplosion once on the main road into a state park campground. Not pretty at all.
Old 02-19-2016, 09:30 AM   #34

Quote:

On a side note back in the 70's and even into the 80's at PA state parks, I remember everyone used to just run the grey out into the woods. It never caused an environmental catastrophe. No one ever complained about it. The parks are still there, the campgrounds are still there, and the woods are still there.
Dumping grey water in the woods sets a poor example. Next thing you know birds will be pooping on the trees.

Aviator Wright-Flyer#1908
1996 Holiday Rambler
2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
KenHwy61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 09:44 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenHwy61 View Post
Dumping grey water in the woods sets a poor example. Next thing you know birds will be pooping on the trees.
A worker at a PA rest area in the late 70s said they preferred gray water to the woods ~~ just connect your hose and pull the lever before you left. He said they put in small septic tanks and did not want to overflow the tank into the leech field.

Have not been to a PA rest area in decades ~~ do they even have dump stations any more?
Old 02-19-2016, 02:13 PM   #36

I leave my grey open all the time except for the last few hours when I am getting ready to leave, and I never dry camp, just wish the Black tank was larger on my Roo 23IKSS and Freshwater was a bit smaller but it seems to work for me.

I can see having the size tanks the Roo does but some of these big trailers need much bigger tanks, looking at a 5er 34' and this thing has tiny tanks, grey is 70 black is 35 and Fresh is 50, seems to me black should be much larger.

2014 F150 FX4 Crew 4X4 EB
2015 Roo 23IKSS

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 02-19-2016, 02:17 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicked1 View Post
I leave my grey open all the time except for the last few hours when I am getting ready to leave, and I never dry camp, just wish the Black tank was larger on my Roo 23IKSS and Freshwater was a bit smaller but it seems to work for me.

I can see having the size tanks the Roo does but some of these big trailers need much bigger tanks, looking at a 5er 34' and this thing has tiny tanks, grey is 70 black is 35 and Fresh is 50, seems to me black should be much larger.

2015 Roo 23IKSS

Only so much room under there ~~ I'm guessing the 70 is because there are TWO gray tanks. The one for the kitchen sink and the other for the bath sink and shower.
Old 02-19-2016, 02:24 PM   #38

My guess to the OP's question has two answers.

1. For the manufacturers, its cheaper to order 1000 42 gallon waste tanks versus ordering 500 60 gallon grey tanks plus 500 24 gallon black tanks.

2. Let's be real. As Mr. Havercamp related to, many have gone out after dark, ran the sewer hose into the woods, and let the grey water flow until done. If you want to get real, the trees loved it.
KFX450RXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 02:31 PM   #39

Quote:
Why would I go out and buy 2 totes, those damn things are expensive.

I can't believe it took more than 12 hours for someone to catch that

Have you ever seen someone tow a Barker tank too fast and too far for too long? One of the ones that have no wheel bearings, just plastic wheels on a steel axle. The warning to not exceed 5mph is there for a reason. The wheels will heat up, melt, and fly right off. It doesnt take long to wear through one of those poly tanks on 30 yr old asphalt. I seen a guy have a pooplosion once on the main road into a state park campground. Not pretty at all.

I thought about one of those totes but seems like I would get more crap on me then it would be worth much easier to have it pumped out for $5-$10 or drive up to the waste tanks on the way out, however I always go for a 3 point hookup takes the messy part out of the equation.

2015 Roo 23IKSS

Old 02-19-2016, 02:39 PM   #40
Site Team

Quote:
There is a CG near me that still does that. We were seasonals up until last year and everyone just dug a hole in the ground, stuck a 5 gallon bucket upside down in the hole, cut a hole in the bottom and ran a regular old hose from the graywater valve into the hole. It didn't matter what size our gray tanks were because we never really used them.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote