Old 02-19-2016, 08:24 AM   #31
Pickin' & Campin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
Clip....
I don't really mind dragging the tote down to the dump station once on a 10 night stay. I usually empty the black and run that down to the dump in the tote, and then haul the tote back full to refill the freshwater tank. Saves gas that way.
You ARE talking two different totes here... aren't you?

TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.
Days Camped: '15=22 '16=46 '17=30
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 08:32 AM   #32

ewwww..can't believe you even went there LOL

2015 Nights Camping: 39
2016 Reserved: 23
Davylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 08:36 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
You ARE talking two different totes here... aren't you?
Why would I go out and buy 2 totes, those damn things are expensive.

I can't believe it took more than 12 hours for someone to catch that

Have you ever seen someone tow a Barker tank too fast and too far for too long? One of the ones that have no wheel bearings, just plastic wheels on a steel axle. The warning to not exceed 5mph is there for a reason. The wheels will heat up, melt, and fly right off. It doesnt take long to wear through one of those poly tanks on 30 yr old asphalt. I seen a guy have a pooplosion once on the main road into a state park campground. Not pretty at all.
Old 02-19-2016, 09:30 AM   #34

Quote:

On a side note back in the 70's and even into the 80's at PA state parks, I remember everyone used to just run the grey out into the woods. It never caused an environmental catastrophe. No one ever complained about it. The parks are still there, the campgrounds are still there, and the woods are still there.
Dumping grey water in the woods sets a poor example. Next thing you know birds will be pooping on the trees.

Seasonally in the Grand Marias, MN campground
On the beautiful shores of Lake Superior

Aviator Wright-Flyer#1908
2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
KenHwy61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 09:44 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenHwy61 View Post
Dumping grey water in the woods sets a poor example. Next thing you know birds will be pooping on the trees.
A worker at a PA rest area in the late 70s said they preferred gray water to the woods ~~ just connect your hose and pull the lever before you left. He said they put in small septic tanks and did not want to overflow the tank into the leech field.

Have not been to a PA rest area in decades ~~ do they even have dump stations any more?
Old 02-19-2016, 02:13 PM   #36

I leave my grey open all the time except for the last few hours when I am getting ready to leave, and I never dry camp, just wish the Black tank was larger on my Roo 23IKSS and Freshwater was a bit smaller but it seems to work for me.

I can see having the size tanks the Roo does but some of these big trailers need much bigger tanks, looking at a 5er 34' and this thing has tiny tanks, grey is 70 black is 35 and Fresh is 50, seems to me black should be much larger.

2014 F150 FX4 Crew 4X4 EB
2015 Roo 23IKSS

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 02-19-2016, 02:17 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicked1 View Post
I leave my grey open all the time except for the last few hours when I am getting ready to leave, and I never dry camp, just wish the Black tank was larger on my Roo 23IKSS and Freshwater was a bit smaller but it seems to work for me.

I can see having the size tanks the Roo does but some of these big trailers need much bigger tanks, looking at a 5er 34' and this thing has tiny tanks, grey is 70 black is 35 and Fresh is 50, seems to me black should be much larger.

2015 Roo 23IKSS

Only so much room under there ~~ I'm guessing the 70 is because there are TWO gray tanks. The one for the kitchen sink and the other for the bath sink and shower.
Old 02-19-2016, 02:24 PM   #38

My guess to the OP's question has two answers.

1. For the manufacturers, its cheaper to order 1000 42 gallon waste tanks versus ordering 500 60 gallon grey tanks plus 500 24 gallon black tanks.

2. Let's be real. As Mr. Havercamp related to, many have gone out after dark, ran the sewer hose into the woods, and let the grey water flow until done. If you want to get real, the trees loved it.

Former Forest River Campers:
2004 Puma 30FQSS
2010 Sabre 31QBDS
2014 Work & Play 30WRS
KFX450RXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 02:31 PM   #39

Quote:
Why would I go out and buy 2 totes, those damn things are expensive.

I can't believe it took more than 12 hours for someone to catch that

Have you ever seen someone tow a Barker tank too fast and too far for too long? One of the ones that have no wheel bearings, just plastic wheels on a steel axle. The warning to not exceed 5mph is there for a reason. The wheels will heat up, melt, and fly right off. It doesnt take long to wear through one of those poly tanks on 30 yr old asphalt. I seen a guy have a pooplosion once on the main road into a state park campground. Not pretty at all.

I thought about one of those totes but seems like I would get more crap on me then it would be worth much easier to have it pumped out for $5-$10 or drive up to the waste tanks on the way out, however I always go for a 3 point hookup takes the messy part out of the equation.

2015 Roo 23IKSS

Old 02-19-2016, 02:39 PM   #40
Site Team

Quote:
On a side note back in the 70's and even into the 80's at PA state parks, I remember everyone used to just run the grey out into the woods. It never caused an environmental catastrophe. No one ever complained about it. The parks are still there, the campgrounds are still there, and the woods are still there.
There is a CG near me that still does that. We were seasonals up until last year and everyone just dug a hole in the ground, stuck a 5 gallon bucket upside down in the hole, cut a hole in the bottom and ran a regular old hose from the graywater valve into the hole. It didn't matter what size our gray tanks were because we never really used them.