Old 05-23-2012, 09:53 PM   #1
Submarines once..........

It's mine!!! But I have a questio

So it was four months and one day of waiting but my 233S is now mine. I took a checklist from this site for my PDI and it was almost perfect. There were two minor things fixed on the spot. I plan on posting pics of this weekend whe we take it out for the first time. happy dance time it is.

Anyway my PDI tech suggested that Instead of leaving the mattress attached that we set them on the floor when the camper is closed up to prevent damage. Has anyone else heard of this and is it necessary ?

63 Nights in 2012! 8 Nights and counting in 2013
Four high energy Little Girls!:
melbornj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:11 PM   #2
Site Team

Congrats on the Roo being yours! Four months is a long time to wait but now you can do the fun stuff - like getting ready for camping!

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:48 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Congrats on your new Roo!

I've not felt the need to place mattresses on the floor and haven't heard of anyone doing it that way. Is the tech recommending that for a specific reason?

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 12:35 AM   #4
Moderators' Assistant

we've been leaving the mattress attached to the bunk door for over 5 years, now and never had an issue.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 05:45 AM   #5

Talking I'm "Floored"

We received our 233S in October and after 4 trips, found that removing the mattress on the right as you enter and removing the mattress next to the refrig and placing them on the floor (folded) makes for easier breakdown/setup. The bed at the rear has a small platform in front of it for the mattress. Each one of us has specific ways to work out issues. For us, placing the 2 mattresses on the floor is working to speed up breaking down and avoid "stuffing canvas and mattresses together" in order to prevent canvas getting caught in the seals around the platforms.

The 233S Roo is an amazing camper. Over 10 years in a PUP taught us alot and we appreciate the "wide open spaces" of the Roo. Enjoy....
Old 05-25-2012, 10:24 AM   #6
Submarines once..........

Triguy he suggested we leave them on them on the floor to prevent catching the canvas in the bunk door. How do I attach pictures to a post?
63 Nights in 2012! 8 Nights and counting in 2013
Four high energy Little Girls!:
melbornj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 10:39 AM   #7
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by melbornj View Post
Triguy he suggested we leave them on them on the floor to prevent catching the canvas in the bunk door. How do I attach pictures to a post?

that's a ridiculous reason!

i've never had to do that, to prevent catching canvas.
it ain't that hard to do. i've done the whole thing by myself and never caught the canvas.
i can take the whole bunk end down, secure the bed to the door, raise the door, tuck in the canvas while still holding the door up and then completely close the door and latch it.
all without taking the bed out and putting it on the floor.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 05-25-2012, 11:38 AM   #8

Exclamation Another opinion revisited

I guess with over 2000 "posts", saying one person's suggestion is "ridiculous" is the option available to describe an "idea". But not all of us (so far, 2 of us suggested leaving the mattresses on the floor) is able to do all of the work by ourselves. I'm 6' and need a step ladder to close and lock each bed platform. I have packed the camper myself and I found, for me, removing the mattresses is an option that works for me.

As a retired English teacher, who worked with Special Ed teens, the word "ridiculous" is unacceptable when describing another person's ideas. Not to get philosophical on this "thread", but "ridiculous" can mean "stupid or dumb".

Just say....
Old 05-25-2012, 12:10 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by melbornj
Melbornnj,
I also do the beds as Dan described. It is important to make sure nothing is pinched in the seals. It's easy enough for me to put away the bunks while the mattress is attached. Also, I find my floor is taken up with a toolbox, bikes and a large container of miscellaneous items. And, my floor is never really clean I am embarrassed to say.

You can attach pictures by clicking on the paper clip icon in the "Go Advanced" mode. Either upload from your computer or a website. There is another way, too, but the "paper clip" is easiest.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 07:15 PM   #10
Moderators' Assistant

My use of the term "ridiculous", was meant for the rv tech.
They should be showing how the manufacturer intends for it to be done. Snaps and straps are provided for the mattress to be stored.
The rv tech is inferring that doing it the manufacturer's way, will result in the canvas getting trapped, which i called that, as being ridiculous.
If owners decide that removing the mattress makes it easier for them, that's fine. I have no problem with that.
I do have a problem with a rv tech stating that you have to remove the mattress, otherwise the canvas will get caught.
IMHO, that's a ridiculous statement.

By the way, I'm 6' tall also.

I apologize if anyone took that personally. It wasn't intended for anyone but the rv tech.