Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2012, 11:04 AM   #1

It's officially mine! Roo 233S

Well DH and I picked up the Roo yesterday from Vicars Trailer in SE Michigan. Everything went nicely and I feel they did a good job with the delivery walk through. They answered all of our questions - gave us as much time as we needed to inspect, poke and otherwise feel good about the condition of the unit.

My take overall:
The person doing the walk through (Carl) seemed "uncomfortable" like he is happier under a trailer w/ a wrench than in one w/people. Don't misunderstand he was very knowlegable and helpful - just didn't seem like his comfort zone was the "walk thru". But he was very thourough and knew his stuff - so much so that he did seem to "rush" a bit but whenever we slowed him down so we could follow along better he was happy to do so and/or repeat the information.

The person who did our hitch install (forgot name) was very nice and took a great amount of time showing us how to hitch/unhitch (safely) how to adjust and when to adjust, how to use and adjust the brake controller - again seemed like he really did know and understand this equipment and I felt really comfortable that he did a good job.

The service/parts guy (Doug) was incredibly nice and (seemed) honest about what products are useful and what is just marketing hype. He made recommendations - explained why he liked/disliked certain items/models and gave good examples of when and how a product would be useful. He was not pushy in any way. Just very matter of fact about what he thought was good, bad, & ugly. They were of course much higher priced than Amazon, Wal-Mart and the like so we didn't buy anything at this time.

Overall the unit seemed to be in very good condition. No obvious signs of defects. All the systems worked as they should; floors, ceilings and walls showed no signs of water leaks. Bunk ends seemed well sewn and sealed to the frame - no holes, tears, etc.

Because the unit was winterized we did not demo the plumbing however he did say they tested it during their "PDI" a few weeks ago and found no faults - and that they would happily go through it with us in the spring when we de-winterized if we brought it back. So I'm happy with that.

It is currently sitting in my driveway getting "stocked" up on the permanent fixtures then it is off to storage for a very long 8 weeks until we pull it out for summer use.

Come on summer!!!

Thanks to everyone who helped me out these past months answering my questions and steering me into smart choices - I appreciate you!

Steph
Nights camped in 2012 - TBD
stephs2125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:57 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Sounds like a great start for you, Steph. Congratulations!

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 02:14 PM   #3

Congrats! It will be a long 8 weeks for you.
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 02:14 PM   #4

Yay!!! I'm so happy it went well! I meant to send a PM to you yesterday wishing you luck, but I totally forgot. It doesn't sound like they were pushy about buying the products from them, I'm hoping for the same too. Did they include a "camping package" with yours? Vicki told us it came with toilet chemicals, a sewer hose, TP, etc. But I don't what else it comes with it.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKapa View Post
Yay!!! I'm so happy it went well! I meant to send a PM to you yesterday wishing you luck, but I totally forgot. It doesn't sound like they were pushy about buying the products from them, I'm hoping for the same too. Did they include a "camping package" with yours? Vicki told us it came with toilet chemicals, a sewer hose, TP, etc. But I don't what else it comes with it.
Ha! The camping package is kinda funny. Don't get me wrong, it is a nice gesture but you are going to want to buy a better sewer hose. I wouldn't trust the one they gave me to drain just my grey water

Also included was a pack of TP, 2 small bottles of chem, and a 30amp to 20 amp connector.

No pushy sales tactics and generally a good experience.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephs2125 View Post
Ha! The camping package is kinda funny. Don't get me wrong, it is a nice gesture but you are going to want to buy a better sewer hose. I wouldn't trust the one they gave me to drain just my grey water

Also included was a pack of TP, 2 small bottles of chem, and a 30amp to 20 amp connector.

No pushy sales tactics and generally a good experience.

What a joke of a "package." I figured that is all it was. Did they fill your propane and put on a battery? She told us that was a part of it too. She also told my husband she normally adds $1200 for it, but only charged us $500, which is still a bit ridiculous. Oh well though....I just keep telling myself we got a great deal.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:30 PM   #7

And I just realize I sound so negative in every post, but I'm honestly a really nice person in "real life." This camper business just has me stressed. We've never spent so much on a "toy."
Old 03-06-2012, 04:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKapa View Post
What a joke of a "package." I figured that is all it was. Did they fill your propane and put on a battery? She told us that was a part of it too. She also told my husband she normally adds $1200 for it, but only charged us $500, which is still a bit ridiculous. Oh well though....I just keep telling myself we got a great deal.
Yes, I did get full propane tanks and a battery. I think the 1200 was supposed to include the 2- hour time with Carl but all inclusive it isn't worth the 500 ;-)
Which is what I paid also.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:08 AM   #9

Congrats! Spring is right around the corner!
Wife: NY
Me: IL
3 Akitas (RIP D-Dog)
biken201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:36 PM   #10

I'm pretty sure Carl did ours as well, if you have any questions, feel free to email me. I may live close enough to help, if needed. Doug and I do not have a good relationship. I think we both cring when we see each other! LOL
Previously:
2005 Fleetwood Seapine, 2012 Rockwood Roo
2015 Sunseeker, 2017 Fleetwood Pace Arrow
hockeytownmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:45 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeytownmom View Post
I'm pretty sure Carl did ours as well, if you have any questions, feel free to email me. I may live close enough to help, if needed. Doug and I do not have a good relationship. I think we both cring when we see each other! LOL

Now I will have to find out which one Doug is. Is he their hitch guy that tries to sell you the $1000 Husky?
Old 03-09-2012, 04:51 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeytownmom
Thanks! I do recall you mentioning in a previous post that you and the service guy didn't get along He must have been on his best behavior the other day!

If he tried to sell you the husky centerline hitch for $1000 as KKapa mentioned above I can see how you got off on the wrong foot!! I got my hitch (centerline 801-1200) , break controller (cheaper voyager model), all wired up and installed for $500. I think what helped me in my dealings with Vicars was I had an out the door, quoted (in writing) price for the same model/features including tow equipment from Terrytown. The only reason I stayed with vicars was because they were 2.5 hours closer to me than Terrytown. However My sales lady, Sandy, was quick to point out to me that the hitch normally sells for $1k and what a great deal she was giving me

All in all I am happy for now. I've had the camper in my driveway a few days now, putting it through its paces and getting it stocked up. Move it to storage on Monday and pull it out to dewinterize in May. Heading out on our maiden voyage mothers day weekend to Frankenmuth.

Thanks again for the kind offer for help. I just may be taking you up on that as I am sure to have questions!
Steph
Old 03-09-2012, 10:31 AM   #13

Congrats Steph! Time to show it off! Pics please...
Wife: NY
Me: IL
3 Akitas (RIP D-Dog)
biken201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 02:57 PM   #14

It was about the hitch! ROFL We did go with the centerline, though, but I don't remember the price. Just search my hitch posts and you'll see what he was saying to us. He's also the tall guy who gives you the product information and recommendations.

I think the kids and I may sleep in the driveway this weekend or next if these temps stick around! You will LOVE the heated matteresses!
Previously:
2005 Fleetwood Seapine, 2012 Rockwood Roo
2015 Sunseeker, 2017 Fleetwood Pace Arrow
hockeytownmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 09:52 PM   #15

We bought our trailer (23ss) from Vicars. Doug tried to sell us the Husky Centerline for $800 or the Husky Friction/Sway Bar System for $500. Of course I politely declined.

The sales transaction and the PDI/walkthru was OK but I left with a sour taste at their high pressure sales tactics regarding the hitch.

BTW, I learnt more about the 23ss by watching the video files on YouTube by RV Wholesalers.
rnath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 03:18 AM   #16

I watched the walk through on YouTube the six part one about 8 times this past week. The dealer was Kinda shocked I knew so much about our and asked so many??'s
I recommend the video to all
kingranch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
233, 233s