Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2013, 09:02 AM   #1

Jack antenna?

Hi - my Roo is an '07 21SS. We are trying to figure out a solution to this problem: A Wingman hits a vent when we try to lower the antenna. wagon52 sent me a link to a Jack antenna that might work. I wrote down the dimensions and went under the cover yesterday to see if it might. But I'm not sure - it looks like it will be a tight fit. I just wondered if anyone knows if it will have the same problem as the Wingman before I order one? Thanks!
Roo-Woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:08 AM   #2
Site Team

something is wrong if the Wingman is hitting the vent.
my '07 23SS's Wingman has no such issues. and i added vent covers to the roof. i think something is hinky with how the antenna is installed.

and i've never seen any 21SS owner's have this issue, in the 6 years they've been making the 21SS.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:07 PM   #3

Could you have lowered it and not turned the antenna to the proper position before lowering it?

2012 Winnebago "Journey To Insanity" 40U
2008 Dakota Sport 4x4
2004 Subaru Baja - DW's
2006 Honda Shadow Aero - TOAD for now.
F.R.O.G. member
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:37 PM   #4

Oh how I wish I had thought to take a picture so y'all could see. But thanks for helping - maybe I can get one soon.

If you are looking at the middle of the roof from the door side, there is a huge vent on your immediate left (is for the furnace?), after that the skylight for the bathroom. Behind that is some other type of vent...so we're talking limited space the antenna lays down in. To your right is the radio antenna and the tv antenna is just behind that. It lays down pointing to your left. Am I painting a clear enough picture?

Would the previous owner have installed the antenna? I was thinking it was like that by the factory?
Old 01-04-2013, 12:41 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

if the Wingman is just barely hitting the vent, then you can cut off the outer 2 cross-arms. Some reception loss may be noted, but probably not a lot.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
if the Wingman is just barely hitting the vent, then you can cut off the outer 2 cross-arms. Some reception loss may be noted, but probably not a lot.
Thanks mtnguy - but it's not the arms that hit. It hits that big vent I talked about on the front...which would be over the kitchen area. Make sense?
Old 01-04-2013, 01:11 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo-Woo View Post
If you are looking at the middle of the roof from the door side, there is a huge vent on your immediate left (is for the furnace?), after that the skylight for the bathroom.
Looking at the 21SS floorplan, could that be your fridge vent ?? The furnace vent usually goes out the side of a camper.

Quote:
Thanks mtnguy - but it's not the arms that hit. It hits that big vent I talked about on the front...which would be over the kitchen area. Make sense?
I am not familiar with the Roo roofs. But if the end of the Wingman is hitting a vent, then you may be able to get clearance by trimming the end of the Wingman off.......maybe resulting in the outer 2 arms being sacrificed.

We might have to wait for pictures.

Old 01-04-2013, 01:20 PM   #8

Yes, we may have to wait for pics to figure it out. Being a newbie, I don't know what to call what up there!

The only other thing I can think of is maybe I should have clarified that the one we tried was the Wingman Sensar. I was just doing a search and realized apparently there are different types? Does that help?
Old 01-04-2013, 01:45 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Y
The only other thing I can think of is maybe I should have clarified that the one we tried was the Wingman Sensar.
I think the Wingman only fits on the Winegard Sensar.

Winegard Wingman - Winegard RV-WING - Over-the-Air Antennas - Camping World

Old 01-04-2013, 02:41 PM   #10

Okay! Whew - thanks mtnguy - I think I'm getting it now. Sorry for letting my inner idiot take over.

The dimensions for the page you just sent me show to be 14" deep. So yes, what you called the "2 cross-arms" would be what's hitting my vent. And the Jack is only 12.5" deep. I don't really want to buy something, brand new, then have to start cutting parts off of it. Know what I mean? So that's why I'm trying to figure out if the Jack is a solution...

Thanks again!
Old 01-04-2013, 09:04 PM   #11

Hey there! So, I did an image search for the 21SS and it looks like the antenna crank is in front of the kitchen which puts the head right between the fridge vent and the A/C. If FR had just placed it a foot or two further forward, you'd be fine .

So what to do... The wingman has the long center mast with two smaller cross-members. If it'll fit by cutting the center mast down no further than the inside of the first cross-member, you should be okay. Any more than that and it'll defeat the purpose.

The Jack replacement antenna head replaces the whole Sensar III head. Its 16" wide, but that's centered over the mast. So, you'll need 8" of clearance on either side.

There is also a complete Jack Antenna System and this appears to be ideal for your situation. The whole antenna will live above where the crank is and you won't have to crank up or down anymore. It also has a built-in signal meter, pretty cool.

I've been meaning to get a wingman for our 23SS, but the Jack System looks pretty awesome.

Hope this helps!
2012 Rockwood Roo 23SS
ddemme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:38 PM   #12

ddemme - this sounds very helpful. Thank you for your time. So basically, sounds like I'm not getting out easy either way. great, FR.

If I need 8" on each side, maybe Jack will work. The next good weather day, I guess I'm back under the cover measuring. Thank you!
Old 01-05-2013, 04:53 AM   #13

Quote:
Okay! Whew - thanks mtnguy - I think I'm getting it now. Sorry for letting my inner idiot take over.

The dimensions for the page you just sent me show to be 14" deep. So yes, what you called the "2 cross-arms" would be what's hitting my vent. And the Jack is only 12.5" deep. I don't really want to buy something, brand new, then have to start cutting parts off of it. Know what I mean? So that's why I'm trying to figure out if the Jack is a solution...

Thanks again!
I replaced my wingman with a jack. It is very small you can look up the dimensions. When it is lowered it sits on top of the arms that raise it. The reception is 100% better and also HD which a wingman is not. Just fits on the arms same as the old. I highly recommend it A 10 min job..... There are no cross arms to hit your vent.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:04 AM   #14
Mod free 5er

Takes longer to unpack the Jack and climbing on top of the trailer than it does to install the Jack. Pull two pins, hook up the coax and that's it! Maybe 3 minutes max.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:22 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
The reception is 100% better and also HD which a wingman is not.
Huh ?? Winegard advertises the Sensar and Wingman as HD. The pictures looks pretty darn good on my TV.

Old 01-05-2013, 08:55 AM   #16
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

If moving whole antenna toward the rotating base would help with clearances, you can cut the 2 mounting masts down. Simply cut off required length and redrill mounting holes.

BTW, I think I have a Jack antenna in my garage if you would want to try it.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:19 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Huh ?? Winegard advertises the Sensar and Wingman as HD. The pictures looks pretty darn good on my TV.
there's really no need for a "HD" antenna, it's a marketing ploy.
any HD tv can receive a HD signal through an antenna, even rabbit ears.
i know because i use rabbit ears for one of my HD tv's at home. just as good as the HD cable dvr, if not a little better.
it's the distance from the signal that is a big difference from the old analog signal. HD signals don't travel as far.
same thing goes for our HD tv with our old '06 Wingman antenna. no need for any special "HD" antenna.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:57 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
i know because i use rabbit ears for one of my HD tv's at home. just as good as the HD cable dvr, if not a little better.
Agree, Dan. The TV picture in my camper was much better than my home TV on cable. After 1 too many price increases from the cable company, I discontinued the service, and put up an outside antennae......much better picture now.

Old 01-07-2013, 03:15 AM   #19

Quote:
mtnguy, I do agree with you on Wineguard Sensar IV is uhf/vhf and HD. Sensar 1,2 and 3 are not. I do not know what your unit came with but mine was the 3. I can not find anywhere in Wineguard specs. saying that. Except for the Sensar IV. The Difference in price is like 3X'S higher for the Sensar IV? Which head do you think FR installed?.................The wingman has nothing to do with it except to pull in better reception and they do work great. On my unit the wingman would have hung over the side by 8" because of the placement through the roof....Ham Raido 101

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:07 AM   #20

Many of the old analog TV stations were in the VHF frequencies (channels 2-13). All digital TV signals are in the UHF frequencies regardless of the channel number. The Wineguard antennas receive both VHF and UHF frequencies, therefore they receive HD signals. The Wingman attachment optimizes the antennas for UHF reception, so it improves reception. The Jack antennas were built from the start to receive UHF signals.

Note that almost all stations are broadcasting in the UHF frequencies with a digital signal, but whether they broadcast in HD or not is up to them. A TV with a digital tuner is required but whether or not it receives HD is up to you (or whoever supplied the TV).

Tags
antenna