Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2011, 07:28 PM   #1

Just about to bite the bullet...

Hello, I am new the the forum. My wife and I have been searching high and low for the perfect trailer for us and our two kids (8 and 4 years old). We are not new to the RV scene. We recently sold a 25' toy box and decided to try a "hybrid" trailer. We have space/storage issues, and most of the hybrids will fit on my driveway. We have fallen in love with the 23SS. The dealer we will probably end up buying from had it marked at $22,950. He said that was about as low as he could go. Seems a little high to me! I gave him my offer, and told him to call me if he was make it work.

Before I sign any paperwork or contract, I was hoping for some opinions. We strongly considered the 21SS, but liked some of the features the 23SS offered. Anyone had any problems with the Shamrock hybrids?

I suppose I'm just looking for any last minute considerations before I purchase anything, and being that I just found this forum, I thought I'd ask!

-Nick

One more thing. I am located in southern California, about an hour north of Los Angeles.
Mcnitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 07:30 PM   #2

I dont know either of the models you list...

BUT

Welcome to the forum.
1st, 2nd, and 3rd INTERNATIONAL F.R.O.G. RALLY Branson. MO.
1st, 2nd, and 4th INTERNATIONAL RALLY Goshen, IN.
BOBFIDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 07:33 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBFIDY View Post
I dont know either of the models you list...

BUT

Welcome to the forum.
X2
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 08:44 PM   #4

We paid 20k for ours in Canada. We love our 233s.
Old 05-29-2011, 09:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcnitchell View Post
Hello, I am new the the forum. My wife and I have been searching high and low for the perfect trailer for us and our two kids (8 and 4 years old). We are not new to the RV scene. We recently sold a 25' toy box and decided to try a "hybrid" trailer. We have space/storage issues, and most of the hybrids will fit on my driveway. We have fallen in love with the 23SS. The dealer we will probably end up buying from had it marked at $22,950. He said that was about as low as he could go. Seems a little high to me! I gave him my offer, and told him to call me if he was make it work.

Before I sign any paperwork or contract, I was hoping for some opinions. We strongly considered the 21SS, but liked some of the features the 23SS offered. Anyone had any problems with the Shamrock hybrids?

I suppose I'm just looking for any last minute considerations before I purchase anything, and being that I just found this forum, I thought I'd ask!

-Nick

One more thing. I am located in southern California, about an hour north of Los Angeles.
Regarding the 21SS, it's got huge floor area (dance floor) inside, but we couldn't get over the lack of storage. Once we looked at a 23SS, there was no question which is more practical. We were going to buy a new one, but found a 2006 model in practically mint condition for half the price of new. Couldn't pass it up. I believe the 23SS is one of the best selling of the ROO's. For good reason. The layout, storage space, counter-top space, etc. is really nicely designed.

By the way, you'd pay around 19k for a new 2011 model around here in Wisconsin. The 2012's are a bit more.

Good luck in your seach.

Dave
dlhoppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 10:33 PM   #6

Thanks a lot! Yes, the 23SS definately has much more cabinetry, counter space, etc.

Can anyone tell me about the exterior storage compartments? Such as, how large are they? Could I fit a medium/large Tupperware bin in one?
Old 05-30-2011, 06:44 AM   #7

The outside storage is pretty decent. The BBQ fits in the biggest one.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:47 AM   #8
camping

WELCOME to the forum!!

2007 Chevy 2500HD CC
2010 V-Lite 30WRLTS
Nights Camped 2011 -64
Nights Camped 2012 -50
"I Live in My Own World, But It's OK. They Know Me"
tentcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 07:32 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the forum. I can't help too much with regards to the 23SS but can say that we really like the layout of the 23SS because of the additional counter space (vs the 233s). We're getting the 233S because of the extra bed for the kids.

A few comments for you to consider.

The shamrock and the Roo are exactly alike except for color and graphics. So, you can also read past posts about the Roo 23SS and feel comfortable you are getting good information.

As Dave said, they are much cheaper here in the Midwest. Hybrids seem to be more expensive in CA and the Western US, in general. You could consider buying from RVW, RVD, or a few others that are located in the Midwest. You could save literally thousands but it requires a road trip, which would just be fun of course.

What are you planning to tow it with?

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 07:53 AM   #10
camping

looking at both floor plans-- can you get into the bathroom on the 23SS when the slide is closed? not sure if that Will be a concern but we use our bathroom when we travel.

2007 Chevy 2500HD CC
2010 V-Lite 30WRLTS
Nights Camped 2011 -64
Nights Camped 2012 -50
"I Live in My Own World, But It's OK. They Know Me"
tentcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 08:49 AM   #11

Yes, you can get to the bathroom in both models with the slide "closed". No problem at all on the 21SS. The 23SS has a bit narrower walkway getting past the dinette, but it's wide enough for a single person to walk through without any problems.
dlhoppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 10:39 AM   #12
Site Team

i have a 23SS and it has a number of advantages over the 21SS.
counterspace, storage, wardrobe and more "sitting" room in the bathroom.
i recommend sitting on the toilet in both. you'll see the difference.
yes, you can access the toilet when the slide is closed.

the 21SS does have more floorspace when open. but we chose our 23SS due to the above.
i doubt if you can fit a tupperware bin in either outside storage areas. both are not very high but long and short.

as was said, the Shamrock and Roo are twins. the Roo has many more dealer, therefore it is the more popular of the two.

we love ours and there are lots of happy 23SS owners who have done lots of mods.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:46 AM   #13

Outside storage doors on the 23SS are short and wide but the areas in side are much taller and wider than it appears. If your dealer told you 23K is about as low as he can go he either doesn't want to sell or you look like a plum ripe for picking. $16500 bought our new Roo with every available option plus the dealer threw in some goodies to sweeten the pot. And business for them was booming at the time (2010). Nothing has gone wrong with our Rockwood that I couldn't fix myself and we have used it approx twice per month from April to November plus long vacations between.
Mr.Beebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 09:41 AM   #14

Thank you all very much for the replies. I considered going out of state to purchase one to save a few thousand dollars, but I'm concerned about warranty issues, etc. If I buy out of state, can I take it to a local place for warranty work??? Anyone had that issue?
Old 05-31-2011, 09:46 AM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcnitchell View Post
Thank you all very much for the replies. I considered going out of state to purchase one to save a few thousand dollars, but I'm concerned about warranty issues, etc. If I buy out of state, can I take it to a local place for warranty work??? Anyone had that issue?
we live on the west coast, where RV prices are the highest in the country.
we bought our Roo from a dealer in Chicago and brought it back. FR found local dealers that were very willing to do the warranty work. in fact, one didn't even sell FR rigs.
we never had problems finding local dealers to do work, that we didn't buy from.
making a call to the FR brand warranty rep, before you make your final decision, should get you the same result.

by the way, we saved over $4000, even after subtracting trip costs.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 09:49 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
we live on the west coast, where RV prices are the highest in the country.
we bought our Roo from a dealer in Chicago and brought it back. FR found local dealers that were very willing to do the warranty work. in fact, one didn't even sell FR rigs.
we never had problems finding local dealers to do work, that we didn't buy from.
making a call to the FR brand warranty rep, before you make your final decision, should get you the same result.

by the way, we saved over $4000, even after subtracting trip costs.
That's awesome! $4,000 is quite the savings! I'm definitely going to expand my search radius.

Tags
expandable, hybrid, shamrock