Old 11-29-2018, 10:15 PM   #1

just bought barely used 2018 roo 19, wifi ranger?

New owner here coming from a popup for the last few years. Our new camper has the wifi ranger box on the roof but I can't seem to find where the router that goes with the roof mounted antenna is or any kind of on/off switch for it? There's got to be a way to turn it off and on right?

I'm also a little unclear about what it is exactly...correct me if I'm wrong but is it just a wifi router with a roof mounted antenna to grab a campground wifi signal (or my phones hotspot signal) and use that for the internet connection so we can have a personal wifi network for the camper?

DawsonMobley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 11:08 PM   #2
Site Team

Have you ever used campground wifi?
We've always had better internet through our cellphones.
Most campgrounds wifi is poor and slow.

2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 11:59 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Have you ever used campground wifi?
We've always had better internet through our cellphones.
Most campgrounds wifi is poor and slow.
I know but I can see the benefit of having a private wifi network for our camper even if it has no internet connection. Some devices (chromecast, wifi connected led strips for example) only work (or are more convenient to use) if connected to a wifi network (and my phones hotspot if I have service where we are). I'm trying to find out if that's what the wifi ranger is and where the router is located in the trailer?
I'm wondering if they only put half the wifi ranger setup in (the roof top antenna) as a way to try to sell you the other half (plus installation fees) at the dealer or if the router is included? because I have found no sign of it if it's in the trailer somewhere.
Old 11-30-2018, 07:00 AM   #4

I do not think a WiFI Ranger box is included from the factory.
I would bet the previous owner installed one and kept the box and left the rook antenna installed.

Did you buy from a private party?

Not too many places to hide a box... did you trace the wire from the antenna?

Sounds like you bought from a dealer and they do not have a clue.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 08:32 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
I do not think a WiFI Ranger box is included from the factory.
I would bet the previous owner installed one and kept the box and left the rook antenna installed.
It is included from the factory, the above is not correct info. I believe they added them OEM from ‘17 on.

OP, for power there should be a switch on your power panel labeled WiFi or something similar. Mines in the lower right corner. There shuld be a pile of papers that came with your unit including a 1 page document on the WiFi unit and how to program it, if not, ask your dealer for it. It’s a weird setup but the guide goes through it in detail, pretty sure it’s downloadable as well.

Basically it’s a WiFi “extender”, there’s not a router or anything else, just the antenna unit. Kinda confusing as you’d think it’s a connectable hotspot like in a car but there’s nothing “active” about it or you’d have to have a subscription for it.

I’m going completely off memory here but you turn it on and connect to it using a laptop to it’s default IP address and password which should be labeled near the power panel switches. You then configure it to use a WiFi available signal, I tied mine to my cellphone hotspot, and it uses that as it’s signal then “boosts” it around your campsite for others to tie into.

Make sense?

So for us, I tie the Ranger to my phone, it now has WiFi. Then my wife’s iPad, my iPad, laptops and our AppleTV unit tie to the “Ranger” wireless and we get WiFi all over the campsite.

Is it useful? Only you can decide. It’s still only as good as the WiFi signal it receives however we’ve not stayed in a campground that offers WiFi so I don’t know how well it “catches” weak WiFi signal.

Hope that helps.
Past:
2001 Starcraft Spaceliner PU
1987 Starcraft Nova PU
Miweber929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 08:53 AM   #6

Manuals here:

https://wifiranger.com/support

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 05:28 PM   #7
Trailer Park Supervisor

The 2019 models are coming with WiFi Ranger 4, which if you are so inclined, can be run off a cellular data plan, like a modem. I have not used mine yet, but saw the power switch on a cabinet just below where the antenna box is mounted on the roof. I think it is possible to run an ethernet cable to it, to the router end. Looks like it comes with the router, but I don't know where they hid it. Here's a video of a guy installing one. https://youtu.be/c_BR7REviAE
Old 12-01-2018, 12:36 AM   #8

Thanks for all the info and links. My panel does have one extra switch that is not labeled so maybe that's for the wifi ranger? but there is still the question of where the router part is at? If I have one it is placed somewhere that is not readily accessible. I can't connect to the router with the switch in either position at any rate.
Old 12-01-2018, 01:02 AM   #9

Wifi Ranger3 is included with at least 2018+ Roo models. The whole unit is the little box and rubber duckie antenna. There is no other router or port access, only the wireless.
Look on your switch panel with the Hot WH, lights, slides, etc. There might be a switch on the panel that seems unlabeled... that should be it.
There should be a wifi ranger sticker on the panel somewhere with the SSID and password.

On their website you can view and download the instructions in case you didn't get them.

It even has instructions how to reset to factory defaults in case someone changed the settings.

Word of caution... mine works great in my driveway connected to my home wireless... but at most campgrounds their wifi already sucks at best... the Wifi-Ranger can't do anything about bad or slow internet from campground... it only boosts the signal coming from the camp wireless.
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 01:04 AM   #10

The newer 2019 do come with WifiRanger4, but you have to add the SIM , sign up for a cell with a provider. Their site has all the info on the Ranger4

rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo