Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2011, 05:08 PM   #1

Just bought new 2012 23ss

Just brought home a brand new Shamrock 23ss. We looked at the 21ss (greater slideout depth) but the extra counter space, wardrobe storage space in the 23ss proved too hard to resist. We have it set up in our driveway as we explore all of its features. Love it! Moving up from a 97 Fleetwood Niagara PUP w/ front storage box. My only concern so far is the lack of exterior storage for bulky items in the Shamrock- folding chairs in storage bags, portable fire pit, etc. Any suggestions? We hope to get it out next weekend for its inaugural trip. Can't wait. We live in Northridge, CA.
GilnJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 05:31 PM   #2
Site Team

congrats on joining the 23SS Club!!

lots of 23SS here and on other hybrid forums. some have done some great mods.
very few travel trailers have large exterior storage, like your PUP, especially hybrids.
only motorhomes, 5th wheels and toyhaulers have that kind of storage areas.

also, the Roo 23SS is the twin of the Shamrock 23SS and there are a lot more Roo owners than Shamrock owners, so you'll find info for your 23SS in the Roo section too.

used to live in Camarillo and i worked in Van Nuys.
we camped a lot in Pismo/Morro Bay area.
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 08:29 PM   #3

Congratulations!!

We also picked up a 2012 Roo 23SS less than 2 weeks ago. Previous trailer was a 2000 Coleman Niagara pop-up. I agree that the front storage box in a Niagara was great but the 23SS has enough internal storage space. One thing that I do miss from the Coleman Niagara is the Outside HP Stove.

As bikendan mentioned, lots of great mod ideas in this forum and also on the other BB (rv.net).

BTW, I was comfortable towing the Niagara with a friction sway bar but definitely feel more comfortable with an Equalizer WD hitch set-up for the 23SS.
rnath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 01:18 PM   #4

Yep, the 23SS has little exterior storage. However, the interior floor-plan, counter space and storage is awesome. A worth-while trade in my opinion. I looked at the 21SS as well, and the 23SS wins hands-down in interior layout (except for the wide-open floor area in the 21SS).

What I did for exterior storage was beefed up the rear bumper and put a cargo rack with a storage box on it for all the dirty lightweight stuff like bag chairs and such. Any heavy or bulky items like grill and firewood go in the back of the truck (I have a cap).

This winter I'm going to add the exterior storage option behind the sink/stove. My 2006 model does not have that. So consider yourself lucky to already have that extra space.

Enjoy you're new 23SS. I'm sure you'll love it like the rest of us do.
dlhoppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 04:35 PM   #5

Ditto on the new 23SS Shamrock. Picked ours up end of August. Last week camped for the first time in the new rig. Love the extra kitchen counter space and interior room. Don't know yet what we will use to fill up all the cabinet space! Our transfer of gear from the pop up, doesn't take up much of the storage room. So far, all trailer systems worked fine (knock on wood). We tried to give everything a try, air and heater too. Beds leave something to be desired though. Trying beds on lot for an hour or so, is not like trying them for a full night. Previous Forest River pop up also had the innerspring mattress, but much more comfortable.
wentout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 12:31 PM   #6

Wentout,

If you decide to replace your mattresses, let me know. I'd be interested in one of your originals.
dlhoppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 03:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wentout View Post
Ditto on the new 23SS Shamrock. Picked ours up end of August. Last week camped for the first time in the new rig. Love the extra kitchen counter space and interior room. Don't know yet what we will use to fill up all the cabinet space! Our transfer of gear from the pop up, doesn't take up much of the storage room. So far, all trailer systems worked fine (knock on wood). We tried to give everything a try, air and heater too. Beds leave something to be desired though. Trying beds on lot for an hour or so, is not like trying them for a full night. Previous Forest River pop up also had the innerspring mattress, but much more comfortable.
$100 memory foam from Sam's will fix the bed problem.
latner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 05:13 PM   #8

Absolutely true about the memory foam. We kept ours from the Popup we just sold, and will trim to fit for the beds on the 23ss. Big upgrade in comfort. We're taking our rig out for the first time this weekend. Got a campsite w/ full hookups to test out all the systems (that's my excuse, but I really just wanted cable for college football). Will report back next week...
Old 09-18-2011, 04:27 PM   #9

Got back today from our maiden voyage in the new 23ss - Amazing! Had fulll hookups - all systems worked great. Didn't try the heated mattresses, however (this is California, after all). Loved having a place to store everything inside, and a warm place to sit and read when the temps dropped into the frigid 60's (yeah, I know, but we're native Californians). We already have trips planned on October and November, and a few minor mods to do before then (shower hose/head upgrade). Hope my tow vehicle holds up. It's old and getting tired, but a real workhorse. It pulled the new rig like a champ. Can't wait to get out again. Here's a pic of our setup:
Old 09-18-2011, 04:31 PM   #10

Oops! forgot the pic

Trying again
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0366[1].jpg
Views:	168
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	8101  
Old 09-18-2011, 05:00 PM   #11
Site Team

congrats on your trip!

you'll see that hybrids are a rarity out here. don't hardly ever see other hybrids at Calif. campgrounds.

there are a few more than when we got ours back in '06, but they still are not common and this is the perfect place for hybrids. after all these years of owning one, i still don't get why it's that way.
Old 09-18-2011, 09:15 PM   #12

Cool pic. I am jealous. We are in Michigan and camping season is almost over. Gotta winterize soon and put the Roo 23ss in winter storage the first week of November. I lived in Northern CA for a few years while I was in college.

Enjoy the new hybrid and the year round camping!!!
rnath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 10:40 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilnJo View Post
Trying again
Great picture! What campground is this and where is it located?

The problem with the cold in California is that we do still keep wearing spring or summer clothes year around.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 12:18 AM   #14
Site Team

looks like Lake Casitas to me.
Old 09-19-2011, 10:34 AM   #15

Bikendan's correct - Lake Casitas. One particular area called Fox has level pads, grassy sites with full hookups, and views of the lake. Very near Ojai, which is a nice day trip. Our next trip is Morro Bay SP in October. Terier, from your posts looks like you're in the Inland Empire. We have camped many years at Yucaipa Regional Park, and we are returning in November (apple harvest in Oak Glen). Are there any other campgrounds out that way you've tried? Thanks.
Old 09-20-2011, 03:55 PM   #16

GilnJo - Glad you had a great first trip in your Shamrock 23SS. We just got back from our 3rd night in our new (as of August 2011) Shamrock 23SS. Just went to a "close to home" Ohio State Park. We also really love our new trailer. Rained all day yesterday, but no problem - just watched movies! I did use a memory foam mattress topper (as suggested for me to try in a previous post) and it really made the front bed wonderful.
wentout is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
23ss, expandable, hybrid, shamrock