Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2011, 02:29 PM   #1

Just ordered our Roo!!

Hello everyone! We just ordered a 2012 Roo 183...does anyone have any tips/suggestions? This is going to be our first time with a trailer; and even camping!!
We still have the 8 week wait, but I want to be ready when it arrives! Thanks
KlimukRooCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 02:48 PM   #2

Can't help with your question but wanted to welcome you to the forums and congrats on the new camper!!

Enjoy!

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 03:12 PM   #3
I just tow the TT for DW!

Practice driving, parking, backing up, hitching, unhitching, and leveling the trailer once you get it, and before you take off for your first trip. A school parking lot or mall parking lot after hours make good level practice spots for parking and backing into spots. Camp in the driveway a few nights to get the feel of things, and keep paper and pen in the trailer to write things down as you discover needs or new questions. When you go to the dealer to pick it up, make sure you allow adequate time for the PDI and have a detailed PDI checklist with you. Leave the kids at home or with grandma. Ask a lot of questions at the dealer, on this forum and others, and anywhere else you think you might be able to gain some knowledge. While you are waiting for delivery those agonizing 8 weeks, start making lists of things you know you are going to need and begin to acquire those things as your finances allow. Above all else, enjoy the process, learn as much as you can about your rig and tow vehicle, be safe, and go make some memories.

2008 Ford F350 King Ranch Lariat SD CC 4x4 V10 4:10
2012 Rockwood Windjammer 3008 - Equalizer 12k
2007 EZGO TXT Lifted/Custom Golf Cart

Nights Camped: 2011(52) 2012(65) 2013(65) 2014 (51) 2015 (40)
kamp k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 10:29 AM   #4
Site Team

Welcome to the "Roo Kroo"!!!

the first recommendation for owning a hybrid is buying PopupGizmos or solar/sportsmen/all-weather blankets for the tent ends. this will help with a number of things. condensation, temp control, keeping canvas clean and providing some darkening for afternoon naps.

make sure the dealer goes thru everything, including opening and closing the tent ends.

what are you towing with?
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 10:39 AM   #5

Where are you from sure someone would let you visit their camp
tking01_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 12:17 PM   #6
Site Team

Ditto on the few nights of driveway camping.

For stuff that you might not be familiar with during the PDI it wouldn't hurt to video tape it using your smart phone. If you have any questions be sure to ask - remember this is part of the fee you were most likely charged.

If possible seperate the trailer keys so you have a back set.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 12:55 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Congratulations on your Roo.

You will get quite a bit from these walk though videos at RVW's site. I'm not sure they have one for the 183, but the six part series on the 233s will show you quite a bit that is similar.

Not to be a downer, but the 8-week wait could be a little longer. Or not. It was reported here that FR added a new shift. Just be prepared.

Try to figure out what weight distribution hitch and brake controller you plan to use and become familiar with them.

Search for one of the many PDI lists that will help you when you go through your walk through so that you cover everything that needs to be covered.

Enjoy the anticipation!

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 08:12 PM   #8

Thanks for the replies!

We'll be towing with a 2008 Pathfinder V6. Our towing max is 6000lbs, so I think we've left enough room with this trailer. I think the dry weight is around 3200lbs.

We'll definitely look into the Pop Up Gizmos

I have done a lot of reading online about the possibility of it taking longer than 8 weeks to arrive. The dealer we bought from said that the problem we might run into will be with delivery...apparently it's hard to get trailers delivered right now. I guess all we can do is wait!!

Thanks everyone for your replies!
Old 08-31-2011, 08:55 PM   #9

We finally brought our new Roo home today! We are so happy with it, and can't wait to take it for our first camping trip this long weekend!!
Old 09-01-2011, 01:57 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

and

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote