Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2015, 10:25 AM   #1

Just picked up my Roo 19, and then...

Me and a buddy went to pickup my first TT (Roo 19). I've never driven with a TT attached so I had my friend drive my new baby home. The next day at the butt crack of dawn I set everything up and get ready to drive it around. while no one is on the road. Everything is going well, I drive it around it's great! get home and then notice one minor detail...

I forgot to pull up the tongue jack and bent the hell out of it! I didn't make it 2 ft out of my driveway and broke my new toy!

My question is I'm going to get one of the huskey brute power jacks, but not sure which size I need. Either:

Model HB4500, with a 4,500 lb. capacity, 2-1/4″ dia. (#87247)
Model HB3000, with a 3,000 lb. capacity, 2-1/2″ dia. (#87248)

Help, which one fits/is needed by my 2011 Roo 19?
chuckythe2651 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 01:51 PM   #2

I think you can only fit a 2-1/4" dia. on the Roo 19.
Old 03-24-2015, 03:01 PM   #3
Take The Road Less Travld

Congratulations.....and that's hilarious. Don't feel bad, there is a thread in here for bloopers just like this one. you should go check it out. When I was new, I pulled the whole power inverter out of the inside wall of my trailer. luckily not the outside wall. Yep. forgot to unplug it from the wall and ran over the wire with the trailer tire pulling it entirely from the wall. Very few things stop a heart from beating like the sound of ripping wood coming from your trailer.

I have an upgraded one that is 3500lbs. couldnt tell you the size, but you cant go wrong with a more powerful one. Oooo Oooo Oooo
I've been an RVer since 2007, Lifetime Camper
Gotta love the Outdoors, Disconnect and Enjoy Nature!
MuddauberE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 08:00 PM   #4

Dont feel so bad, it happens to everyone. Second time out and I didnt droop the power brake cord around the jack. We drove home, wondering why the brakes felt a little strange. Well, the cord dragged on the highway all the way home, and we had no lights or brake. Back to CW for rewiring a new cord!
syogerst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 09:45 PM   #5

You're not alone. Leaving an awning, slide, step, or grab bar out is not uncommon stupid user trick. I almost lost the door/step on my old Coleman popup (door folds down to become the step) when I forgot to securely lock it. It bounced open when pulling out of the camp site. It hangs about 6" off the ground and protrudes 12"-18" away from the side wall. Fortunately I saw it in my side mirror just as I was rounding a corner close to a tree stump.

PS: doesn't it feel better to have confessed publicly?

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 02:59 AM   #6

I have started to drive out of the campground multiple times with the TV antenna up until kind campers waved me down.

One of the better ideas I have seen is the reminder rings you can label and wrap on your steering wheel. I should probably get them as it is only a matter of time before I do something similar to your story.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 03-25-2015, 03:55 AM   #7
Site Team

you can find a checklist to follow when setting up or when leaving.
we have one posted by our trailer door, so we are sure to go over it before closing up the trailer to take off.
and as a former firefighter, we were taught to always do a walk-around before leaving. i even do it at the gas station while fueling up.

both are ways to prevent things like this and also being patient and not getting in a hurry.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 06:40 AM   #8
geezer with gadgets

Welcome to the world of real people doing real dumb things! Second time I pulled our TT I forgot to lock the tongue to the ball on my TV. About a mile down the road I could see the TT bouncing up and down while I was driving and I thought, "wow this thing is really getting hard to tow." DUH! Luckily I had attached the safety chains and that is how I was pulling the TT. Pulled over, jacked the tongue up, fixed problem. Even now that we have an MH, DW still asks if I remembered to lock the tongue!

Sent from my Atari 2600
2011 Sunseeker 3170ds "Ladybug"
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee TOAD
Days camped 2015: 37; 2016: 66; 2017: 86 2018: 57 2019: 30
757Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 07:12 AM   #9

Tore up a jack on my popup. Mine was nose heavy and I had soft suspension, so I used WDH. The bottle location didn't allow for lift brackets, so I had to crank up the back of the truck a good bit to get the chains hooked up. Stupid me had a wheel on the jack and a stack of 1x6 pieces under it. It finally kicked the boards out from under it and bent that sucker at about a 20 degree angle...didn't crank very well after that.

The main thing is to measure your outer tube diameter on yours and make sure, but I believe 2-1/4 is correct. You can go smaller, just not larger without cutting. Capacity doesn't really matter as the smallest I've seen will lift over 1500 lbs straight up...however, the bigger it is, the easier it will be.
Old 03-25-2015, 03:46 PM   #10

completely destroyed a license plate by not locking the tongue to the ball. Pulled out great. Hit the brakes and well.......there ya go. Welcome to club screw up. Bars open.
2018 F250 Lariat (ok but I miss my F150)

Getting old ain't for wimps!!!
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 11:39 AM   #11

Ggrrr----we have a 2015 v-lite and heading down the highway as we speak (type). I was inside doing my normal departure stuff and feel the truck bump the trailer..."crap." Hard! It's a lot easier when we both hook it up. Anyway...I keep hearing the electric jack go up and down with lots of bouncing all over the place....not good for the vertigo...lol Then all the sudden, a big clunk...I mean BIG! I may or may not have said more than "crap" this time. I outside and say....what the hell was that? The red blocks were next to the jack and it was smooshed in the mud.....he said he bent the electric jack. Oh yay! I just go back inside....women.....know when to keep quiet. Lol After a lot more fumbling around out there, he opens the door and asks me if I'm ready to have the water shut off. Wth! I have no clue how bad this is cause I just glanced at it (didn't even see any silver), but this rv park we're heading to doesn't have any available pull-thrus. Should I just bail at the next pit stop? Lol
amys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 12:18 PM   #12

had a customer in one time, pulled out her shore cable. after replacing it, i informed her I would check it out by plugging in. she remarked, " oh wow, how thorough!". I said yeah, if I got this wrong you could get a terrible shock. as I said this I touch the door and pretended to recieve a terrible shock. she almost had a coronary. never saw her again. lesson learned...
Crockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 01:43 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by amys View Post
Ggrrr----we have a 2015 v-lite and heading down the highway as we speak (type). I was inside doing my normal departure stuff and feel the truck bump the trailer..."crap." Hard! It's a lot easier when we both hook it up. Anyway...I keep hearing the electric jack go up and down with lots of bouncing all over the place....not good for the vertigo...lol Then all the sudden, a big clunk...I mean BIG! I may or may not have said more than "crap" this time. I outside and say....what the hell was that? The red blocks were next to the jack and it was smooshed in the mud.....he said he bent the electric jack. Oh yay! I just go back inside....women.....know when to keep quiet. Lol After a lot more fumbling around out there, he opens the door and asks me if I'm ready to have the water shut off. Wth! I have no clue how bad this is cause I just glanced at it (didn't even see any silver), but this rv park we're heading to doesn't have any available pull-thrus. Should I just bail at the next pit stop? Lol

LOL This, along with collapsing the rear stabilizer jacks, opening the main slide with a rubber piece hanging from the roof and jacking it up, along with my new topper, flooding the bunk room because he wanted to stand under the outdoor kitchen door, then forgot to close it during a torrential rain......etc., will be funny one day, right?! Does anyone know what the divorce rate is for newbies? LOL
amys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 11:56 AM   #14

Thanks for the stories everyone. It made me feel a bit better about my complete act of stupidity.

Well $250 later, I have the Husky Brute 4500. I will tell you that it has no idea there is a Roo attached. The motor sound exactly the same whether its going up or down! IT IS A BEAST! I highly recommend it !
chuckythe2651 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo, roo 19, tongue jack