Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2015, 11:03 AM   #1

Just Purchased 2001 shamrock

Hello all,
I have enjoyed reading through the forums very helpful group.
My wife and i just purchased a 2001 shamrock to give camping a try with our family.
I do have some mechanical skills (work on motorcycles and home repair) so i not afraid to do some things on my own.
My question is what do you recommend for a first time camper owner?
I am going to reseal the roof which previous owner was going to do as preventive maintenance.

Thanks for any help
Bryan
Cosshog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 11:10 AM   #2

Welcome Cosshog and hope you enjoy your new Shamrock. What sorts of advice are you looking for? Helpful mods, repair tips, essential camping items, etc? Resealing the roof seems like a good idea.
PI hardwired EMC, Wire Shelving in wardrobe
Plexiglass screen door protector, Blue LED Wine nook
stairs, and counting...
karrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 11:23 AM   #3
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Welcome to the forum and the world of RVing. enjoy your camper. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 12:14 PM   #4

I would definitely check the tires as they are a sore subject with camper owners. Keep them at max pressure and monitor for weather checking and dry rot. Also open bunk ends and hose them down. Check inside for leaks. Do all the appliances work? How about the furnace, ac, water pump and water heater? Hopefully you checked these out well before you made the deal. But even if you did and trouble shows up later, this forum is a great place to ask specific questions. Many, many experienced campers here who are willing to help. And by the way, welcome to camping and the forum.
2013 Ram 1500
jking46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 02:27 PM   #5

Yes i did check all appliances and they are in working order. The roof was the only thing the previous owner suggested just as preventive.
I am interested in mods such as awning upgrade (maybe screen type) but also what are some basic essentials i will need for camper camping we are going to try and get out before end of season here in Ohio.

Thank you all
Old 08-24-2015, 02:33 PM   #6
Site Team

Welcome!

for your first mod, get a set of Popup Gizmos for the top of the tent ends and some Reflectix for the tent windows. #1 Hybrid mod.
also, you probably have the screw clamps on the bunk doors. many that had models like yours, replace them with the newer cargo latch type. Google "Fastec". they carry the latches.

it would help if you posted which model of Shamrock you have. posting length isn't the model number.

2001 was only the 3rd year that FR was making hybrids. so you may have some issues that were fixed in later models.
the seals on that old of a unit, were well known to fail.

since you've already bought it, before asking what to look for in a used hybrid, anything suggested will be your responsibility.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 03:30 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosshog View Post
Yes i did check all appliances and they are in working order. The roof was the only thing the previous owner suggested just as preventive.
I am interested in mods such as awning upgrade (maybe screen type) but also what are some basic essentials i will need for camper camping we are going to try and get out before end of season here in Ohio.

Thank you all

Welcome, from Southern Illinois.

We too have a Shamrock HTT. A 2000 model, 19'er. We may be able to compare notes as we go along.

Considering everything looks to be in working and in acceptable shape, and given what the others have suggested, I would say the best way to prepare for your first outing would be to take a close look at what you use on a daily basis.

Kitchen and Bathroom essentials, You will need almost a duplicate of those 2 rooms inside your camper. The list is long, but also keep it simple, for these 2 rooms. It's easy to over pack. And you will inevitably forget something. It happens to all of us.

Might suggest using plastic and paper goods on your first outing and then decide from there what you would need. Don't forget the towels and wash clothes, soap, toothpaste, etc.

First Aid kit as well. And bug spray too.

Camping cookware, If you plan on cooking / grilling outside the camper. Also Picnic Table cover with hold down clamps.

Folding Chairs

Bedding for the bunk ends. Don't forget the pillows.

Clothing can consist of whatever / however many days you are planning to be camping. And also given the weather conditions will dictate what you take. That's a pretty easy one.

Food, this can be tricky. We all tend to over plan at first and then get more in tune with how much we take thereafter. ( lol, sometimes ) Try and pre-plan your meals and keep them simple.

Tool kit with the basic necessities for repairs while camping. This kit will get bigger in time.

Wheel Chocks

Hoses needed for dumping a the dump station.

I know there is MORE, but this is a good start. Others will have suggestions as well. Sometimes it takes a couple trips out to figure it all out. And just when you do.....you have forgotten something.

All in all........ The Ohio weather waits for no one. I know, I'm an ex-Northern Illinoisan.

2023 Flagstaff 206STSE
2019 Flagstaff HW29SC ( sold )
2017 Salem Cruise Lite 232RBXL ( sold )
2014 Ford 150 XLT 5.0 2wd
Briorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 03:34 PM   #8

Awesome Thx for the great list and everyone's help. So much to learn we are very excited.

The model is the m18.
Old 08-24-2015, 03:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Awesome Thx for the great list and everyone's help. So much to learn we are very excited.

The model is the m18.

I would venture to say that we have pretty much the same exact HTT. Mine is listed also as a M-18 too. Just it's a 2000 year. Hmmmm.

Check out this link of an earlier sold M-18. This is how mine looks, except for the changing of seat cushion covers material. Is yours the same?

Colonial Airstream NJ - 2000 Flagstaff Shamrock M-18 19'1" by Forest River

2023 Flagstaff 206STSE
Old 08-24-2015, 03:51 PM   #10

Quote:

Thank you all

Check out Youtube for how to replace and install an existing awning. Also I have seen on Craigslist, the selling of awning replacements recently. Prices were pretty reasonable. Mine too is older and has a few cracks along the edges. A future project possibly.

2023 Flagstaff 206STSE
Old 08-24-2015, 03:53 PM   #11
Alleged curmudgeon

Welcome Bryan, and enjoy your "new to you" rig. Family camping is a great thing.
Nights camped: 2012 (29); 2013 (26); 2014 (40); 2015 (43); 2016 (35); 2017 (34); 2018 (39); 2019 (30); 2020 (16); 2021 (14); 2022 to date (12)
Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 04:08 PM   #12

For those times when you need both hands free, and there will be some.

Costco Sale: Superex 3 Headlamps $7.99 | Frugal Hotspot

Military surplus poncho you can wear it or lay on it as needed, if it gets dirty you can just hose it off and hang it to dry.

A handy thing to have.

https://www.google.com/#q=outlet+tester

A multi meter is a good thing to have.

Spare fuses and bulbs.
Old 08-24-2015, 07:01 PM   #13

Since it's getting to the season where the nights get chilly, I would suggest you get an electric heater of some kind. Use the electricity at the campground instead of your propane. Unless of course you're dry camping. Also, get some pie irons for campfire cooking. You can make breakfast, lunch, and dinner in those things.
2013 Ram 1500
jking46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 10:06 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briorick View Post
I would venture to say that we have pretty much the same exact HTT. Mine is listed also as a M-18 too. Just it's a 2000 year. Hmmmm.

Check out this link of an earlier sold M-18. This is how mine looks, except for the changing of seat cushion covers material. Is yours the same?

Colonial Airstream NJ - 2000 Flagstaff Shamrock M-18 19'1" by Forest River
Yes that is very close to what we have.
Old 08-24-2015, 10:09 PM   #15

Great thoughts thank you everyone, i knew there was alot more than i could think of. This is very helpful getting me started.
Old 08-25-2015, 11:57 AM   #16

check out the PVC pipe bunk end mods to help prevent rain infiltration...

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tml#post703435

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 01:48 PM   #17

Welcome! If you Google RV checklists there is lots of good info. Also apps too. They will be a reasonable place to start and you can fine tune things as you go along. Don't overthink it - relax and have fun. Sometimes making do with forgotten items leads to the most fun!

Phil, Heather & Olaf the Boxer
Ontario Canada
Lexington 283GTS
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 03:01 PM   #18

Smile

Oh...and don't forget the white water hose for your fresh water. A standard green or blue won't do. And don't forget the stuff to go in the potty. When we had our Shamrock, it had a slide the length of the camper and the mattresses were heated, which was a nice touch on those chilly nights. In our bathroom, we placed a clear shield both on the edge of the vanity (next to the shower) and along the bottom of the shower(there again, next to the vanity) to prevent the shower curtain from coming out of the shower and getting the floor wet.

Some lights to go on your awning (with clips) would also be a nice touch. Sometimes, particularly at this time of year, Target usually marks them way, way down. Extra extension cords and a couple of clear plastic shoeboxes to put all those odds & ends in. And don't forget a nice big flashlight. Make sure your propane tanks are full - nothing like going to cook breakfast and no propane for the stove. And, a lighter to light the stove (& oven?) along with matches for the campfire. Some "fat wood" is also nice for starting the campfire. Of course, don't forget the marshmallows, graham crackers, and Hershey Bars. Nothing says camping better than these around the campfire at night. And you can pick up some marshmallow "sticks - extendable - at WalMart in their camping section.

Have fun and welcome to the world of camping. I hope you enjoy it as much as the rest of us do. You'll meet some of the nicest and most helpful people in a campground.
Old 08-27-2015, 01:39 PM   #19

Ok camper delivered to house today, first question there are fuses by micro but i can not find a fuse box anywhere? Anybody know where it is? I don't want to look in the middle of the night in a storm
Old 08-27-2015, 01:49 PM   #20

Also is there an online retailer you guys use for parts? Such as handles, awnings, lights etc?
Thank you so much everyone

Tags
shamrock