Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2018, 07:06 AM   #1

Just purchased a 2018 Rockwood Roo 21SS

Hello All,

My husband and I just upgraded from a TT to a Roo. Any suggestions on packing an efficient kitchen would be nice. Where to store spices, there's only one drawer for utensils so where do you put your bigger stuff? We are a family of 5 so space is a premium. Also any bathroom stocking ideas would be great too. I was also thinking of putting another tension rod in the closet to hang more clothes has anyone else done that?

Any direction, advise would be very much appreciated.

Happy Camping.

Melssimplelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 08:47 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melssimplelife View Post
Hello All,

My husband and I just upgraded from a TT to a Roo. Any suggestions on packing an efficient kitchen would be nice. Where to store spices, there's only one drawer for utensils so where do you put your bigger stuff? We are a family of 5 so space is a premium. Also any bathroom stocking ideas would be great too. I was also thinking of putting another tension rod in the closet to hang more clothes has anyone else done that?

Any direction, advise would be very much appreciated.

Happy Camping.

Nice choice, congrats on the newer camper. I also have a roo 21 but I have the ssl version but that makes no difference in this case. After I pick ours up I placed all of the spices in those small plastic jars that clip to a strip and I mounted those on the back sides of the doors above the couch. As far as the rods in the cabinet I removed mine and added additional shelves. That works much better for my family. I also added a shelves in several of the other cabinets. On the longer trips we use some yellow and black totes for extra clothes( they fit perfectly in front of the rear bed when in transit also they make for a great wash tub if we have to do wash that way). I will try to send some pictures.
ffp322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 03:50 AM   #3

We also just bought a 21ss Roo ( ours is a 2017, new). I am anxious to get it organized . This is our first RV. We are a family of 4 ( 2 kids 12 and 14) and we will likely have a friend with us most trips.
I'm wondering how to deal with that tiny hanging closet myself. I seen hanging fabric closet storage at Wal-Mart, need to measure and see if it will fit. Basically just little hanging cubes, so I would not hang things, rather place them on the little cube shelves. Amazon also has cascading hanger hooks that would allow hanging more from the bar, but need to check weight limit on that bar.
For my smaller food items ( spice jars etc) I had thought to just put them all in a plastic container that was small enough to fit in those little upper cupboards above the table/couch. Keeps them all together. I'm excited to get camping but have so much to learn about owning a RV. Previously we were tent campers
NewfieNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 06:30 AM   #4

Great ideas NewfieNewbie!!! Never even thought about the hanging cubes and I own a few in my house. I can't wait to get my trailer next Friday!!!!
Old 05-15-2018, 01:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melssimplelife View Post
Great ideas NewfieNewbie!!! Never even thought about the hanging cubes and I own a few in my house. I can't wait to get my trailer next Friday!!!!
Try to avoid the hanging cloth cubes, they don't last with the movement of the camper. I would seriously consider putting shelves in, we did and there are loads of ideas on this forum. As for spices, get a magnetic spice rack and hang it up near the fridge.
HeyJude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 01:39 PM   #6

We don't have the same model but we added stackable drawers in the hanging closet. We don't use the shower so I put a tension rod in there for all hanging stuff. Also used another tension rod in bathroom behind toilet for towels as well as an over the door rack for beach towels
2015 Roo 21BD-L'ABode
lablover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 01:54 PM   #7

Roo 21SS

Congrats, we love ours! Here are some photos of some of the things we have done.
We load the closet hanging cloth cubes and then unhook for travel. We had one break.
We put our spices into a sealable plastic container and store in the drawer below the oven.
The extension next to the stove is a great place to plug in the toaster, coffee maker or to put ingredients and cooking utensils when using the stove. You can reach in thru the opening in the screen door for whatever when cooking outside.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00809.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	278.9 KB
ID:	172107   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00806.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	263.9 KB
ID:	172108   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00807.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	268.4 KB
ID:	172109   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02695.JPG
Views:	233
Size:	164.8 KB
ID:	172110  
2021 Rockwood, 2509s, pulled by a 2020 Ford F150 XLT, Super Cab, 3.5L Eco Boost, with 3.55 axle. Electric 10-speed auto trans w/tow mod. Heavy Duty Tow package & integrated trailer brake, 11,700 lb. tow capacity, payload is 1916 lbs. and 145” wheel base. Equalizer 4 point W/D hitch.
djemgoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 03:30 PM   #8

Here's a couple things I did:

The vertical dividers are actually wire corner shelves that we already had. I attached them sideways onto a 1/2" plywood platform.

Between that cabinet and the microwave was dead space. I carefully removed the panel using it to make the door from wood scraps. Inside I used white faced hardboard to close off the microwave space. The inside is 8.5" wide and the door opening is 5.5". The black wire is the antenna coax.

Above the fridge is dead space too. Building ONLY to the back of the refrigerator box (need to maintain the airflow behind the fridge) I put down 2" foam insulation then used the white hardboard to fashion the box onto furring strips screwed to the walls. The white interiors help light it up.

In the bathroom I installed 2 towel bars behind the toilet and one on the side wall. High up but functional.

The metal frame of the sofa has a bar in back that runs all the way across and blocks the outside storage door. I used 4x4 and plywood to make the platform which raises that bar to the top of the storage door. Now I can store my wheel chocks, sway and hitch bars.Click image for larger version

Name:	20180430_134452.jpeg
Views:	277
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	172113Click image for larger version

Name:	20180428_134142.jpeg
Views:	180
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	172114Click image for larger version

Name:	20180516_160516.jpeg
Views:	192
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	172121Attachment 1Click image for larger version

Name:	20180516_160711.jpeg
Views:	181
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	172122Click image for larger version

Name:	20180428_144549.jpeg
Views:	187
Size:	151.5 KB
ID:	172123
Keystoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 04:11 PM   #9

I just tried to edit in a picture but it doesnt show so I'll reply again.

Here is my fridge top cabinet build.

Inside nearly all the cabinets you'll find panels that block wires and/or plumbing. They are simply screw into the floor. Most all of them can be moved to gain a couple more inches. The pictured panel is inside the rear hatch at the back of the water heater. It always had to be removed to access the water heater bypass valves. I added a hinge and catch to simply fold it down when needed.

My 21ss is a 2014 so it doesn't have an outside, curbside door to the front storage area and I'm too nervous to cut open the wall to add one. I ordered a cabinet door and installed it for better access.Click image for larger version

Name:	20180428_134123.jpeg
Views:	172
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	172129Click image for larger version

Name:	20180428_134045.jpeg
Views:	184
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	172130Click image for larger version

Name:	20180428_135724.jpeg
Views:	173
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	172131Click image for larger version

Name:	20180428_134304.jpeg
Views:	171
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	172137
Keystoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 06:31 AM   #10

Thanks everyone for your GREAT ideas. Keystoner you have been busy and have done a great job with your trailer.
Next Friday we get our trailer. So excited.

Cheers,

Melinda
Old 05-21-2018, 03:18 PM   #11

Welcome to the forum! You received a lot os good suggestions and some that I will implement also, this is a great place for Ideas. The better half and I purchased a 2017 21ss last spring and love it. However, we were having problems with the drawer under the dinette seat coming out when we traveled. I fixed it by putting a board between the back of the drawer and the storage space so the drawer could no longer be pushed open.[ATTACH]Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0621.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	352.0 KB
ID:	172816

Name:	IMG_0622.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	336.4 KB
ID:	172817[/ATTACH]

2017 Flagstaff Shamrock 21ss pulled by a 2007 Ford F150 XLT 4X4
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 10:09 AM   #12

I wish I had seen all these responses...lol. To the person who said the hanging clothe bins would not hold up, you were 100% right!
We are currently on our very first camping trip and they did not survive the drive :/
Our first night it rained pretty steady, we had a leak
Right at where the rear tent bed attaches to the trailer at the top. Does not seem to be related to stitching. We have no ladder with us, so will have to get a better look when we get home tomorrow. It wasn't pouring in but did drip down onto the mattress. Ugh!
Our hot water heater seems to be not functioning properly either We got a couple cups of warm water and it ran out.
My fridge seems to be not staying as cold as it was. This is all very frustrating as we bought it brand new and had it plugged in our driveway for a week . Fridge was empty on top ( freezer) but had some things in the bottom. I have a fridge thermometer in both sections. It was working perfectly. There is also a fair amount of condensation dripping off the fins into the drip tray ( which I assume must be expected since there is a drip tray).
Oh and my awning has a hole ( the dealership knows as it was pointed out by me when we picked up the trailer).
I hope everyone is having better luck. We spent a year considering which trailer we wanted . We did purchase 7 years warranty and now I'm glad we did.
Old 06-24-2018, 10:49 AM   #13

hanging cloth bins

Our hanging cloth bin survived 2 trips and broke. We replaced it and now load it up before we leave and then unhook it and let it fall to the bottom. We then hang it back up for the rest of our stay.
Knock on wood, we have no leaks. Going to wax the TT today!
I bought a small battery powered fridge fan from Camping World and put it on the bottom shelf. It keeps the cold air moving around. It lasted all last summer on 2 "D" size batteries. I think it helps to keep the fridge cooler.
2021 Rockwood, 2509s, pulled by a 2020 Ford F150 XLT, Super Cab, 3.5L Eco Boost, with 3.55 axle. Electric 10-speed auto trans w/tow mod. Heavy Duty Tow package & integrated trailer brake, 11,700 lb. tow capacity, payload is 1916 lbs. and 145” wheel base. Equalizer 4 point W/D hitch.
djemgoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 11:04 AM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfieNewbie View Post
I wish I had seen all these responses...lol. To the person who said the hanging clothe bins would not hold up, you were 100% right!
We are currently on our very first camping trip and they did not survive the drive :/
Our first night it rained pretty steady, we had a leak
Right at where the rear tent bed attaches to the trailer at the top. Does not seem to be related to stitching. We have no ladder with us, so will have to get a better look when we get home tomorrow. It wasn't pouring in but did drip down onto the mattress. Ugh!
Our hot water heater seems to be not functioning properly either We got a couple cups of warm water and it ran out.
My fridge seems to be not staying as cold as it was. This is all very frustrating as we bought it brand new and had it plugged in our driveway for a week . Fridge was empty on top ( freezer) but had some things in the bottom. I have a fridge thermometer in both sections. It was working perfectly. There is also a fair amount of condensation dripping off the fins into the drip tray ( which I assume must be expected since there is a drip tray).
Oh and my awning has a hole ( the dealership knows as it was pointed out by me when we picked up the trailer).
I hope everyone is having better luck. We spent a year considering which trailer we wanted . We did purchase 7 years warranty and now I'm glad we did.
This is why we recommend Camp Driveway before taking a trip.
That way you can work out the kinks at home.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 11:35 AM   #15

It's always great to see everyone's ideas, tips, and tricks. We like to do a few trips "as is" to see what our own specific needs will be. The things you'll want to add/change will make themselves clear to you. Keep a pad chandy to write things down as you think of them, and take pictures to go with your notes.
We've had our Roo for 2 years and are still making small changes and additions.
Enjoy!
henrypretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 11:38 AM   #16

I like the idea of not hanging it for traveling! Thank you! It was fine sitting in the driveway full of clothes for a few days. Must have been the jostling about that did it in. We did use the fridge in the driveway and spent lots of time in the trailer getting our kids and dogs use to it. It had seen plenty of rain. Oh well, I'm optimistic it will not be a complicated fix for any of our issues. We fully intend to have a great summer of camping.
Old 06-24-2018, 03:52 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
This is why we recommend Camp Driveway before taking a trip.
That way you can work out the kinks at home.
Dan, I think they said they did camp in the driveway for a week? Fridge, freezer worked great till they got to the campsite?
Old 06-24-2018, 04:06 PM   #18

photos of closet

Here are a few photos of the closet and our foot stools. The footstools are great for storing all the stuff you cannot find the room for. I use them for sheets, power extension cord and a few other things. Cheap find at walmart, about $12 or less a piece. They are great for resting your feet on too! Not sure why my photos are sideways, they were right when I downloaded them. If you save them you can flip them and see how we did it. There is enough wood back there in the back of the closet to mount the hangers on safely.
Another thing to suggest? Two of those folding foot stools to get up into the bunk ends, makes it much easier.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG-0216.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	327.3 KB
ID:	177086   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-0217.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	253.1 KB
ID:	177087   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-0219.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	194.1 KB
ID:	177088   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-0220.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	360.2 KB
ID:	177089  
Old 06-25-2018, 06:14 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude View Post
Here are a few photos of the closet and our foot stools. The footstools are great for storing all the stuff you cannot find the room for. I use them for sheets, power extension cord and a few other things. Cheap find at walmart, about $12 or less a piece. They are great for resting your feet on too! Not sure why my photos are sideways, they were right when I downloaded them. If you save them you can flip them and see how we did it. There is enough wood back there in the back of the closet to mount the hangers on safely.
Another thing to suggest? Two of those folding foot stools to get up into the bunk ends, makes it much easier.
Totally love the footstool idea........ a lot!!!! I'm thinking one stool and store the kids shoes in there.

Tags
rockwood, rockwood roo, roo