Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2016, 12:01 PM   #1

Just received my PUGs! Need install help.

Hello all!
I just received the super high wind Pugs for my Roo 183. Going to practice installing/removing them this weekend, prior to taking them camping.
I haven't taken them out of the box yet, but I'm thinking about the installation and removal.
They don't come with very detailed instructions, but there is a one page note in the box saying to clip them along the rain edge prior to opening the beds I'd need a step stool for this). Then, open the bed and attach the bungee cords. I guess this method makes it easier to get to the top of the bunk (before opening it).
What about removal? How do you close the bunk if the PUG IS clipped along the rain edge?
Any PUG installation/removal tips from current users would be appreciated! I searched through the forum already and didn't find much.

Thank you!
ebcobra93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 01:34 PM   #2
Site Team

I carry a liteweight 4' ladder, that I got from Walmart, to put them on.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 01:42 PM   #3

Thanks Dan. During removal, Do you just climb up on the ladder to un-clip them? Or is there another way that I'm not thinking of? I'm worried about being able to reach the clips with the bed down. Or, do the clips just go towards the top edge instead of the center?
I'm hoping it will become clear once I get them on for the first time.
Old 06-02-2016, 02:37 PM   #4
Site Team

I clip the top edge to the bunk door rain gutter.
I don't know what year yours is but the newer ones apparently don't have a rain gutter.
That's why many have gone with the Velcro option.

I'm 6' so I can reach all but the rain gutter clips from the ground.
My older PUGs don't have the bungee feature.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 03:30 PM   #5

I have the Velcro option and also a 183. I cant help you attaching the top edge but have a couple of tips to make things easier otherwise: Remove all the bungee clips from one side and tie loops in that end of the bungees instead. Pull all the excess bungees to the side with the loops - until the clips on the opposite side are snugged up against the pug. Then bundle each individual bungee with a rubber band, using a specific color for the front bunk pug. This will prevent having a tangled mess of bungees everytime you pull them out to install them and will allow you to easily identify the front pug, since it is larger than the other two. I normally only use a couple of bungees on each bunk unless it is really windy. It just saves a lot of time taking down and re-bundling. I put them on with the bunk open and take them off before closing it. I carry a short step ladder to be able to reach.
2012:1042/13 2013:2772/27
2014:2259/30 2015:1644/20
2016:1278/23 2017:2183/22
indybp57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 04:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by indybp57 View Post
I have the Velcro option and also a 183. I cant help you attaching the top edge but have a couple of tips to make things easier otherwise: Remove all the bungee clips from one side and tie loops in that end of the bungees instead. Pull all the excess bungees to the side with the loops - until the clips on the opposite side are snugged up against the pug. Then bundle each individual bungee with a rubber band, using a specific color for the front bunk pug. This will prevent having a tangled mess of bungees everytime you pull them out to install them and will allow you to easily identify the front pug, since it is larger than the other two. I normally only use a couple of bungees on each bunk unless it is really windy. It just saves a lot of time taking down and re-bundling. I put them on with the bunk open and take them off before closing it. I carry a short step ladder to be able to reach.

I use twist ties on the bungee cords and I fold the front with the silver side out and the back with the color side out. ( looks like I will be ordering another front, my SHW PUG didn't survive TS Bonnie!)
Nccamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 04:13 PM   #7
I go RV'ing not Camping

I used a broom handle to hold up the pugs while my wife would close the bunkdoor then I would climb the step stool and take the clips off the rain gutter.

Hope that helps,
1400lbs Equal-i-zer Hitch
jgourlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 05:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgourlie View Post
I used a broom handle to hold up the pugs while my wife would close the bunkdoor then I would climb the step stool and take the clips off the rain gutter.

Hope that helps,
That's how I was envisioning having to do it.

My 183 is a 2016 (bought in April last year). No gutters. I'll be taking a look at it tomorrow.
Old 06-03-2016, 11:17 AM   #9

I actually bought the super heavy duty Velcro and attached to the upper "inside lip" of the bunk (supper sticky) then sewed the other half of the Velcro to the PUG. Since I'm only 5' 8" I use a reaching tool to attach the PUG to the Velcro. Trick is to NOT extend the tent canvas until you have the PUG in place. Once the bunk has been extended I then wrap the bungee cords around. Works like a champ!! Taking down is in reverse.

rompinroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 01:12 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rompinroo View Post
I actually bought the super heavy duty Velcro and attached to the upper "inside lip" of the bunk (supper sticky) then sewed the other half of the Velcro to the PUG. Since I'm only 5' 8" I use a reaching tool to attach the PUG to the Velcro. Trick is to NOT extend the tent canvas until you have the PUG in place. Once the bunk has been extended I then wrap the bungee cords around. Works like a champ!! Taking down is in reverse.
X2 I use a long reach grabber tool. $2.99 at Harbor Freight. Keep a couple in the storage bay.

36 in. Pickup and Reach Tool

I also carry a 6 foot collapsible ladder. Takes hardly any room and is very handy.

6' Double Sided Ladder - GP Logistics SLD-D6 - Ladders - Camping World
Old 06-03-2016, 03:07 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanga99 View Post
X2 I use a long reach grabber tool. $2.99 at Harbor Freight. Keep a couple in the storage bay.

36 in. Pickup and Reach Tool

I also carry a 6 foot collapsible ladder. Takes hardly any room and is very handy.

6' Double Sided Ladder - GP Logistics SLD-D6 - Ladders - Camping World
X2 on the ladder and grabber tool A couple of the cheap caribiners, one for for each side of the pug bungie cords keeps them from tangling during storage and easy to clip together.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1464984340451.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	110013  
Jimandchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 08:39 PM   #12

Since you asked about taking your PUGS down this is what we do... we release the clips and then let down the frames in the bunks and get ready to fold the bunks in, then we just hold the pugs away from the bunks and close the bunk doors. After that we use a short step ladder to remove the clips and the pugs.
Shamrock 21SS
pennypoppins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 09:00 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimandchris View Post
X2 on the ladder and grabber tool A couple of the cheap caribiners, one for for each side of the pug bungie cords keeps them from tangling during storage and easy to clip together.
x3 on the ladder and being vertically challenged at 5' 8".

Camping World is a great place to get ideas and search the net for better prices.

Telesteps 600FLS OSHA Compliant 6 ft Single sided folding step ladder (STIK) - Telescoping Ladders - Amazon.com