Old 07-15-2015, 03:56 PM   #1

Just told the dealer YES! but have questions

I am excited and extremely nervous to say we officially gave the dealer the OK. As of Friday we will be owners of a loaded 2016 Rockwood Roo 17!

We are still not 100% on our choice and I'm not sure we will ever be. We can only pull a low weight or else we would have definitely gotten a bigger one, for sure! We have owned a 2000 Fleetwood wilderness 721c Hybrid for a little over a year now and love the model but hate all the water issues. We pretty much had to take it all apart to fix water leaks and we thought we were good but when we opened it up this year the floor was soaked again! we're just tired of dealing with it. That was our first camper so I feel like I now have a fear of campers.

I am so extremely nervous that hybrids come with water leaks. I think I read somewhere it's not a matter of if it'll leak, it's a matter of when it'll leak. We are new to camping and new to campers, I feel like it is made well and with quality materials (at least on the inside!). Am I worrying for no reason? Or should I just prepare for water issues?

We've never bought a new camper, I did ask the dealer when we go for the demo to spray it with water so we can check for leaks. Is there anything in particular we should look for or double check? I am not finding much on new Roo's (probably because they are so new).

Thanks so much for your help!

Old 07-15-2015, 04:24 PM   #2
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kab517 View Post
I am not finding much on new Roo's (probably because they are so new).
i'm confused by your statement.

there are constant posts here from new Roo/Shamrock owners. nearly one a week.
and Roo/Shamrock hybrids have been around since 1999. so they are not a new brand.

unless you're talking about new 17 model owners. the 17 is not a popular model, since most prefer the larger hybrids.

2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 04:35 PM   #3

I meant new meaning not used 😉
Old 07-15-2015, 05:51 PM   #4
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kab517 View Post
I meant new meaning not used 😉
i understand that.

not sure why you haven't seen all the posts by new owners.

as i said, as a moderator for this section, i see an average of one new Roo/Shamrock owner, at least every week, during the spring/summer time.
especially new 23IKSS and 233S owners.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 06:21 PM   #5

Hey, there, Kab517. Congratulations and welcome to the forum. You will find many owners of new trailers here. And even some like myself who are not yet owners but in the "research" mode. I will tell you that these folks love their roos. (Well, most of them. And it is like real love - love where the good offsets any blemishes should they show up.) Just read through these threads. You will certainly here of people encountering challenges as this is what usually brings people to forums like this - they are looking for help (and sometimes venting.) But from my reading experience this far, Rockwood should give these folks a commission! Tons of good advice. Tons of things that were learned in the first week/month/year that by sharing will hopefully help the rest of us avoid those. I'll assume you did the thorough 3-4 hour version of the PDI. If not, there is a good PDF of a PDI checklist somewhere that you may want to go through before you head off for your first shake down trip. And, again, read through all of the helpful advice here.

If things go well, will be joining the roos in a week or so. But not yet, not yet.
Old 07-15-2015, 07:09 PM   #6

Welcome kab517. Current Shamrock 23ikss owner after many years of pup ownership. Much wisdom (and a bit of bs) on this forum. Read and ask questions as many owners will be happy to help you. After all, we were all newbies once. FR makes great hybrids but nothing is perfect. Hopefully yours will be as good as mine has been. Best of luck.
2013 Ram 1500
jking46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 07:53 PM   #7

AND as many have mentioned before..."generally" more folks tend to search for forums like this to complain and/or vent about problems than do those who wish to chime in that they have NO ISSUES! There are definately a BUNCH more ROO's on the road than folks I see here with problems, and as a TROUBLE FREE (except for a water filter issue easily corrected) 233S Owner, I can't speak enough about how happy we are with our purchase! We LOVE sleeping under canvas, any extra care/effort required in tending to this camper is well worth it.
2013 Rockwood Roo 233S
ebemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 08:56 PM   #8

Hi Kab and welcome! While I certainly understand your skepticism, Please understand, When you deal with a forum such as this, Nobody as a rule comes here just to brag about how great their trailer is. This is mostly for ideas and issues. And boy is it great for that. The cool thing about Forest river is regardless of the Hybrid Trailer, it is assembled the same as any other Hybrid trailer Forest River makes, Just a different size. So if there is an issue with a ikss, it very well could apply to a 233 or even a 21dk. If I could give any advice from what we have found on our 23ss although it did not leak, I went and bought some silicone and started at the top, went around, over or under. Anything I could find that had silicone I added more silicone. The amount of silicone was quite pathetic in my view, again it didn't leak, so maybe it was overkill. So far to date we have had -0- issues to speak of. Nothing strange, Nothing weird, Everything works like it should. I have done a lot of scanning these forums to see what the issues were and how I could prevent them. A wealth of knowledge here and everyone is more than happy to help out. I am still finding screws half put in and the IRV33 (the multi media system) still tests my testimony on occasion, but nothing that a screw driver and some patience wasn't able to fix. IMO, Yea, you should be concerned about leaks, but not worried. Good luck!
Old 07-15-2015, 09:08 PM   #9

We went thru heavy wind driven rain 3 times this week in Grand Forks ND, not a single leak on our 233s
Old 07-15-2015, 09:09 PM   #10

Welcome aboard.

The general procedure is to wet the bunk ends several times and let them dry. This seasoning process allows the thread to swell and seal. Just mentioning, so you don't possibly get overly concerned with a bit of moisture at the dealership.

Stu

2011 Ford Econoline Club Wagon
stugilmour is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dealer