Old 10-18-2015, 12:34 AM   #1

Kitchen slide out on 23IKSS

Was in trying to get the kitchen slide out opened and no power. I have no problems with dinette slide out. Would this be a wiring problem or do I have a fuse out? Wasn't sure if both slides are on the same fuse. Has never happened before and its a 2015 year. Good thing it didn't happen on a camping trip. I was using my trailer connection to tv for power so it shouldn't matter I was connected to shore power when everything else had power. For future, I believe there is a manual override I have to crank to get it to open, but taking it to dealer for service.

Old 10-18-2015, 09:13 AM   #2

First make sure the battery disconnect switch is in the ON position. The other slide is wired directly to the battery but the kitchen slide is not.

The kitchen slide controller is inside the cabinet that houses the TV and radio. If something is wrong it will show error codes. That is also where you can manually over ride the controller to bring the slide in or out.

There is no crank for the kitchen slide. Manually push it in or out with the power off or use the controller over ride.

cpd1343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 09:36 AM   #3

Here are some useful manuals. Also check U-Tube for videos.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 0272.pdf (878.3 KB, 51 views)
File Type: pdf Kitchen Slide Out 2.pdf (486.0 KB, 49 views)
File Type: pdf Kitchen Slide Out.pdf (398.4 KB, 41 views)
File Type: pdf Schwintek-operation-service.pdf (1.82 MB, 41 views)
Old 10-18-2015, 10:18 AM   #4

Thank you cpd1343. I will try troubleshooting the problem with your advice. I don't have my 12 volt battery installed/connected at the MO ent. I usually only hook up when I am dry camping. Does that mean the battery disconnect shouldn't matter if I don't have it connected? I will make sure the disconnect is on the "on" position. It might be the 30 amp fuse according to the manual. Would the fuse be located in the fuse box near the furnace or is the fuse located in the under carriage under the slide out? Thanks again for your knowledge and advice.
Old 10-18-2015, 01:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWHybrid2B View Post
Thank you cpd1343. I will try troubleshooting the problem with your advice. I don't have my 12 volt battery installed/connected at the MO ent. I usually only hook up when I am dry camping. Does that mean the battery disconnect shouldn't matter if I don't have it connected? I will make sure the disconnect is on the "on" position. It might be the 30 amp fuse according to the manual. Would the fuse be located in the fuse box near the furnace or is the fuse located in the under carriage under the slide out? Thanks again for your knowledge and advice.
You should ALWAYS have a battery when towing/camping.

Towing - You need a battery to operate the trailer brakes breakaway switch and to keep the kitchen slide locked in the closed position. You also have to have the battery isolation switch in the ON position.

Camping - The battery will smooth out the converter output and absorb fluctuations in the DC draw. Battery switch ON.

The fuse will be under the camper just after where the tongue attaches to the frame.
Old 10-18-2015, 04:57 PM   #6
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWHybrid2B View Post
I don't have my 12 volt battery installed/connected at the MO ent. I usually only hook up when I am dry camping. Does that mean the battery disconnect shouldn't matter if I don't have it connected?
I'm trying to understand your logic for doing this.

First, towing without a battery is illegal, since the trailer has electric brakes and needs one to power breakaway switch. So why bother taking it out?
Second, your trailer has a disconnect switch, so why remove the battery?
Third, it's always a good practice to have a battery hooked into the system, EVEN with hookups.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 06:56 PM   #7
Richard

Slide details? - 2009 Rockwood 8313SS

Forum Experts, on this forum I see much good advice on many different subjects in regard to the RV World. Having just recently purchased this TT and since I'm new to slide-outs, I'm wondering if any of you have details concerning the motor, controls, etc. of the two slide-outs used in this coach. They seem to work fine now, but as a retired engineer, I'm always curious to learn more about the products I purchase and would like to have information readily available should the need arise.
Thanks,
R. Pittenger
Troy, OH
Old 10-20-2015, 09:50 PM   #8

Bikendan. Why would I need a battery when I have my trailer hooked up to my tow vehicle? I already have power to my breakaway as I found out last year when I went over a speed bump which disengaged my breakaway and couldn't move my trailer. I had to go in and remove the ground wire to get the trailer to move. Yes my trailer does have a disconnect, but why would I risk have it connected during transit when there could be a problem with arching when it is located right behind my dual propane tanks. It seems like it would be a hazard travelling with the battery connected in transit. If I left my battery connected all the time, I would be concerned it wasn't receiving a full charge. Besides, once I unhitch and put it in storage, the battery has no way of charging. I keep a trickle charge in my garage and never had a problem. Also, I wouldn't want someone to steal it since I don't have it locked to anything. Battery replacement is around $100. I don't know any campers who leave their battery on their trailers when it is in storage. That's my logic.😄
Old 10-20-2015, 10:05 PM   #9

there is several reason to have a battery installed while traveling and camping.
1. the battery is there to power the break away switch when the trailer disconnects from the tow vehicle. if your trailer plug unplugs from the tow vehicle the batt from the trailer will power the break away switch. With no battery in the trailer--and using only the tow vehicle for power on the break away switch--and if you trailer pulls away from the hitch, break the safety chains you will have a free willing trailer down the road with no brakes, runaway free trailer
2. The tow vehicles sends power to the trailer batt to charge while driving down the road.
3. having a batt in the trailer allows you to open the slide without having shore power or a tow vehicle connected.
4. without the battery in the trailer and using the tow vehicle power though the trailer connector puts stress on the slide motors due to the small gauge wires, from the trailer connector.
5. I know on my camper the convertor senses batt voltage--when its senses low voltage it ramps up to charge the batt and ramp down when near full. without the batt the convertor senses a dead batt and send a full ramp up charge with no where to go.

most person i know once camper goes to storage they pull the batt out for safe keeping.

2014 cedar creek 36ckts
2014 Chevy 3500 1 ton crew cab 4x4 long bed.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 10-20-2015, 10:12 PM   #10

now back to your original question. I am guessing your slide out motors use more amps than what your trailer plug and produce on its small gauge wires. if you look at your slide motors i know on mine there are 10 gauge wires much bigger than my trailer plug.
by having the batt installed or plugged into shore power you are producing the right amount of amps to your slide motors.

also there is a breaker on your slide motors--they are made to trip when to much amps are needed to make your motors operate--low battery will produce this issue.

2014 cedar creek 36ckts
2014 Chevy 3500 1 ton crew cab 4x4 long bed.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Tags
slide, slide out