Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2015, 11:24 PM   #1

Kudos to House of Camping & Forest River

I just wanted to acknowledge my recent positive experience with George from House of Camping and the Forest River warranty team.

We purchased our new Roo 23IKSS from HOC in December and had it delivered to us in SoCal. I was able to do a complete inspection and PDI in Chicago before finalizing the deal. Everything went as expected and HOC performed as promised.

Unfortunately, the one feature we did not test during the PDI was the DVD function on the Genisis GT2. Of course, once we tested it at home the dang thing ate the first DVD we inserted and would not respond to any dvd commands despite trying everything under the sun.

Fast forward to last week when I finally got a chance to send the Genisis unit back to HOC. They received the bad unit on Friday, and got things processing with Forest River.

Today I come home and find that UPS has delivered a new IRV33 unit to me! So less than a one week turnaround. We couldn't be more pleased.

We're very happy that we decided to buy from HOC. I know that folks have had mixed experiences buying across the country. I must say that it has worked out well for us so far.

Thanks again to George/House of Camping and Forest River for coming through for us!
Old 05-22-2015, 02:22 AM   #2
Site Team

Yep, HOC is a great dealer.
We bought our 23SS from them and drove 2000 miles one way to pick it up.
They did a great PDI and even installed our Equal-i-zer for free, even though we bought it from another dealer.
George gave us a price we couldn't pass on.
I always recommend them.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 04:56 AM   #3

Hopefully the IRV33 works out well for you. Only speaking for ours, It's been a bit... Trying, lol. I'm glad things worked out!
Purdyquibb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 06:10 AM   #4

Thanks for posting a "happy" story. Nice break from reading about problems not being handled.

Ken
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 08:12 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdyquibb View Post
Hopefully the IRV33 works out well for you. Only speaking for ours, It's been a bit... Trying, lol.
So I'm not the only one....
2011 HD Road King
Nights camped since 2019.....all of Em...Homes a 2001 Sea Breeze 36' 5 ER
yetavon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 09:02 AM   #6

Yes, we're concerned about the problems we've read about the IRV units as well. But our Geneisis was definitely bad whereas we [I]might[I] get lucky with the IRV unit.

But I'm planning on saving all the packing materials until we get things thoroughly tested!

BTW, does anyone know whether the IRV and Genisis are made by the same manufacturer? They seem to share too many similarities - functions, features and drawbacks to be coincidental.

Pretty disappointing that this is considered by RV builders to be an adequate entertainment solution. It would seem that the number of issues and warranty claims with both the Genisis and IRV units would cost-justify sourcing higher quality systems.
Old 05-22-2015, 09:20 AM   #7

I bought my Roo in 2008 from HOC and they were great then too. Very family like..
Crusader 816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 11:32 AM   #8

genisus bad also

Ours won't play the end of movies.
Forrest river gladly replaced it.
wnelsonfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 11:49 AM   #9
REV

I also purchased my hw276 at HOC they've earned my business for life.. awesome group of people.
REV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 12:35 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martingale View Post
Pretty disappointing that this is considered by RV builders to be an adequate entertainment solution. It would seem that the number of issues and warranty claims with both the Genisis and IRV units would cost-justify sourcing higher quality systems.
I think that since these type RVs are more campers, than high end motorhomes, they don't get higher quality systems.
I agree because I bought my hybrid for camping, not for needing a high end entertainment system.
We still have the original Concertone system and we're fine with it.
We don't need a 5.1 surround sound system because we camp to get away from all that kind of stuff.
We prefer the sounds of nature, to the sounds of a surround speakers entertainment system.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 01:05 PM   #11
Dr Travel

I think Genesis makes cheap stuff. We could not get the surround sound to work; until our son REMOVED the unit from its slot, and trouble-shot the wiring and hook-up. He had to rewire two or three connections that were wrong, and now it works. In today's high-tech environment, Genesis seems to be about 5 years behind, and it takes awhile to figure out how to make it all work. Instead of intuitive, it is complex. But, like most things, the RV mfrs put in price instead of quality. although they did put in a Toshiba TV in our rig. An upgrade, methinks. Samsung woulda been better. What should happen is all the managers in these RV mfrs should be forced to live in the units they make for at least a month. THEN we would see some fixes that make sense…
robsshots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 12:24 AM   #12

We bought our 2015 Windjammer from George at House of Camping. He helped us find the right trailer for us. Definitely recommend them.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
ov845 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 05:58 AM   #13

Thumbs up IRV units

My new Flagstaff had problems with the IRV66 radio and the IRV owner responded directly to me by E-mail. Sent out a replacement unit in 2 days and it works perfectly. Great Customer Service by that supplier. Loved not having to tow to the Dealer to get this fixed.
Thanks for this FR Web Forum and all the great members!
speedozeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 11:58 AM   #14
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robsshots View Post
I think Genesis makes cheap stuff. We could not get the surround sound to work; until our son REMOVED the unit from its slot, and trouble-shot the wiring and hook-up. He had to rewire two or three connections that were wrong, and now it works. In today's high-tech environment, Genesis seems to be about 5 years behind, and it takes awhile to figure out how to make it all work. Instead of intuitive, it is complex. But, like most things, the RV mfrs put in price instead of quality. although they did put in a Toshiba TV in our rig. An upgrade, methinks. Samsung woulda been better. What should happen is all the managers in these RV mfrs should be forced to live in the units they make for at least a month. THEN we would see some fixes that make sense…
robsshots, while I wouldn't call Concertone (Genesis) or iRV products "high end", to be fair... the fact that something wasn't connected properly was a factory assembly issue, not a product quality issue. FR gets their entertainment units from the manufacturer and they are responsible to wire them into the RV properly. If the person wiring it in does a poor job that's not the manufacturer's fault.

We have the same problem in the municipal infrastructure sector in which I work. A manufacturer can come up with a great product idea but if it relies too heavily on a quality installation we won't use it because you can't count on the contractor putting the stuff in the ground to do it right every time.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 12:21 PM   #15
Dr Travel

Good point. Since the wiring was internal, I automatically blamed Genisis…u r likely right; factory screw up. Try as they might, rv mfrs are a far cry from the quality control and process management of auto manufacturers (and others.) Good, or even great, quality components won't work right if not installed correctly. BTW, I sold a terrific TT to a lovely couple. The wife came back about a month later and wanted to speak to our manager. Seems that they had taken their trailer to the coast for a long weekend (we were in Orlando) with their favorite 10 year old truck that was immaculate. While sleeping, someone woke them up and got them out of their trailer because their TRUCK was on fire. Seems the guys who installed the brake controller in the truck got some wires messed up and set the truck on fire. Burned it literally to the ground…right next to the propane tanks on the front of the TT. Firemen did a great job of keeping the tanks cool while the truck burned out at 1 am.
robsshots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 01:33 PM   #16

Hey, just came across this thread. We bought from HOC also in May, and did our PDI with George and Dave, his brother. We've been very happy with our 21SS so far and that reminds me, I need to send a note to Dave to tell him how happy we are. Going out tomorrow for local camping, can't wait.
karrun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping, forest river