Old 08-26-2014, 11:22 PM   #21

Two trips planned for September and another planned for Halloween weekend. That's it for the family trips but I may grab some buddies and hit the NC mountains for a fly fishing trip too. So I won't be packing it away until mid November.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2015 Shamrock 23IKSS
2008 Ford Expedition EL
DH-DW-D3K-DMTTSAP
DK-in-SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 06:26 AM   #22
Old Fella

The only issue we have in winter is finding a spot with the invasion of snowbirds.

Old 08-27-2014, 07:30 AM   #23
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpm View Post
Question.

This is my first season having a camper and wanted to get a couple of more trips in before it got cold. I know this is a very general question, but when do most of you pack up and winterize for the season?

If you winterize in November do you still go out in like December if its nice weather and just do not use any of the plumbing or water? Just dry camp?

thanks
KPM

We live in your region of the country. We'll be camping on Assateague Island in Sept. and Shenandoah National Park in mid to late Oct. Take advantage of as much good weather as possible. Fall camping in our area is the best.
Old 08-27-2014, 07:49 AM   #24

Our last trip will be a ten day golf trip to Galena, Illinois. Then DH has knee replacement so we will winterized after. It's hard to imagine this is the last one of the year already.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 08-27-2014, 07:52 AM   #25
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCath25ds View Post
Our last trip will be a ten day golf trip to Galena, Illinois. Then DH has knee replacement so we will winterized after. It's hard to imagine this is the last one of the year already.

Let me know where you stay and how you like it!

TURBS

"SABRE OWNERS UNITED"
Old 08-27-2014, 07:53 AM   #26

We typically camp into the first week of Nov when most campgrounds scale back by closing or turning water off. I winterize mid Nov. If below freezing before then, which is common, I don't worry too much unless the temps are in the mid 20's for an extended period. To be on the safe side I drain the water via the low point drain. Two years ago we had a trip planned to the Gulf Coast for Thanksgiving. Freezing temp came early that year so I drained the water via the low point and used my air compressor to blow out the remaining water. On the way back we had an overnighter where temps dropped into the low 20's. Filled up the holding tank and drained the hose and stored it. We stayed warm inside and did not have any problems with freezing water. I have been tempted to dry camp when temps are tolerable during the winter but have not done it so far.
Airlift system/on board compressor

speedcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 08:11 AM   #27

Living in Central Texas we try to camp year round. January `14 we were in Florida for the entire month and spent half of February camping in the deep south in route back to Texas. Depending on where we are at even at our home town I'll need to blow out the water lines if there is a hard freeze in the forecast. If we are going to be home for a few weeks I'll blow out the lines and add antifreeze to the traps. The RV generally gets a good waxing in Feb or March with several washes in between.
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 06:02 PM   #28

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCath25ds

Let me know where you stay and how you like it!

TURBS

"SABRE OWNERS UNITED"
2012 Roo19 - hybrid (2012-2015)

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 07:15 PM   #29

Going to Boone, NC in about two weeks. May be the last for this year, unless we can squeeze one more Hatteras trip in. It will be the first time that I have pulled the Shamrock to the mountains. I have been many times with the pop-up and any time there are emergency sand ramps on a down grade, it makes one think. Wish me luck!!

Old 08-27-2014, 07:41 PM   #30
Plain Old Member

We never winterize, and never put it away. 12 months a year, we're going somewhere, rain, shine, snow or whatever. We have departed our home in the sleet, snow, rain and any other weather mother nature has thrown at us. We get our money's worth out of each rig for sure. In the winter, we just run off our water tank when it's freezing, and get closer to the camp fire. My wife likes the summer camping, I like the winter, kids like it all. I've really never understood putting a camper away for a chunk of the year, unless of course you're way up where it snows like all get out and stays in the teens or below. I'm not sure why anyone in the southern states would stop camping in the winter, unless you just hate the cold.

Heck, we fish 12 months a year as well.

Growing up, we've camped in tents with snow packed around it, and loved it, so why wouldn't I go in an enclosed box with heat?

2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote