Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2014, 06:10 AM   #41

We to her to bed early Oct
2006 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 Crew Cab/Duramax Diesel/Allison Transmission
Salmon Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 12:51 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCath25ds View Post
We are staying at Palace campgrounds. We have stayed there numerous times as it's the most convenient and only campground in Galena. We love galena and all the golf and great food in the area.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

We use our camper on this trip as our bed on wheels. When we "camp" we usually go to a state park.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
DonCath25ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 01:21 PM   #43

We are just getting started good in october. and close it down after new years and back out for the forst trip toward the end of Feb
Prothos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 03:27 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
We never winterize, and never put it away. 12 months a year, we're going somewhere, rain, shine, snow or whatever. We have departed our home in the sleet, snow, rain and any other weather mother nature has thrown at us. We get our money's worth out of each rig for sure. In the winter, we just run off our water tank when it's freezing, and get closer to the camp fire. My wife likes the summer camping, I like the winter, kids like it all. I've really never understood putting a camper away for a chunk of the year, unless of course you're way up where it snows like all get out and stays in the teens or below. I'm not sure why anyone in the southern states would stop camping in the winter, unless you just hate the cold.

Heck, we fish 12 months a year as well.

Growing up, we've camped in tents with snow packed around it, and loved it, so why wouldn't I go in an enclosed box with heat?
Way up north here in Huntsville AL....

We got some frosty weather last year - really cold, sub freezing for almost 10 days! I *thought* keeping a oil heater with a "freeze heating" setting and the tank warmers on was enough.

One small problem - the darn toilet water valve froze on me! Lesson learned - just unplug it from the toilet and I am "winterized"
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 06:52 PM   #45
Plain Old Member

I fell victim to the toilet water valve as well. Dropped it off at the dealer during round 1 of operation front cap repair. Got down below freezing for several days at dealer, and of course it was shut down cold. Had drained everything. I installed a second set of low points on the rear section of the fifth wheel, so front and rear low points drained, water heater, tanks, you name it. But darn the toilet valve. Luckily, it was caught before anything really went bad.

I have froze a black tank before on our first camper with the exposed tanks. Was in Arkansas with another below freezing event. Eventually with enough hot water going into the toilet, the turds thawed and drained. Luckily it wasn't that full.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 10:34 AM   #46
kpm

Thanks soooo much everyone for the words of wisdom, feedback and inspiration!!! Looking at Shenandoah/Luray VA area and Ramblin Pines in Woodbine MD for our next two trips in Sept and Oct.
Thanks
kpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 12:31 PM   #47
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpm View Post
Thanks soooo much everyone for the words of wisdom, feedback and inspiration!!! Looking at Shenandoah/Luray VA area and Ramblin Pines in Woodbine MD for our next two trips in Sept and Oct.
Thanks
Just a word about Ramblin Pines and the Shenandoah Vally area ( one of my favorite places). I would make reservations now... Sept weekends could be full @ Woodbine. I know that the Shenandoah/Luray VA area in October is very popular. I made my reservation for Big Meadows Campgound in Shen. National park 6 mo. ago. Normally reservations should be made months in advance and to ad to the problem Maryland has there teacher conference in Oct. with some days being cancelled for students, putting more pressure on campgrounds.
grayfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 01:38 PM   #48

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
Last year our last trip was just after the Canadian thanksgiving, but then I didn't winterize until about mid-November. This year the last trip will be the last weekend in September. Not because of the cold, but because come fall other activities start to get in the way. I'll winterize it sometime after that but before the first big freeze.

If it were up to me, I'd be camping year round. Grew up in a scouting family so the majority of my youth was done as fall/winter camping.
Same here Kaadk, was a Scout/Scouter etc, Camped my whole life since 1963 with family. We are planning 4 days end of September then 6 days in Birch Run/Frankenmuth in October after CDN Thanksgiving. We might squeak a weekend in at Rondeau before they close as well, fall is beautiful there I will hold on winterizing till November if weather holds.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 01:59 PM   #49
kpm

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayfox View Post
Just a word about Ramblin Pines and the Shenandoah Vally area ( one of my favorite places). I would make reservations now... Sept weekends could be full @ Woodbine. I know that the Shenandoah/Luray VA area in October is very popular. I made my reservation for Big Meadows Campgound in Shen. National park 6 mo. ago. Normally reservations should be made months in advance and to ad to the problem Maryland has there teacher conference in Oct. with some days being cancelled for students, putting more pressure on campgrounds.
Old 08-30-2014, 04:38 PM   #50
kpm

Grayfox,
Any suggestions on other campgrounds in the area similar to Ramblin Pines? We love everything about this place. Thanks.

Quote:
Old 08-30-2014, 05:50 PM   #51
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Grayfox,
Any suggestions on other campgrounds in the area similar to Ramblin Pines? We love everything about this place. Thanks.
By all means check with Ramblin Pines for reservations. May I also suggest to do a search for campgrounds around Gettysburg PA...another favorite... and Luray and Front Royal Va. A search should give you some options. I have a small membership at Gettysburg Battlefield resort. There are many campgrounds around Gettysburg.

KPM, about, where do you live?
Old 08-30-2014, 06:01 PM   #52
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

FYI,

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=gettysburg+campgrounds
Old 08-30-2014, 06:04 PM   #53
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Sorry heres another...

Welcome - Virginia Campground Owners | The Finest Campgrounds in Virginia
Old 08-30-2014, 07:39 PM   #54
kpm

Ramblin Pines is very close to us. We are right outside Baltimore. About 20-30 minutes east of Woodbine.

Quote:
By all means check with Ramblin Pines for reservations. May I also suggest to do a search for campgrounds around Gettysburg PA...another favorite... and Luray and Front Royal Va. A search should give you some options. I have a small membership at Gettysburg Battlefield resort. There are many campgrounds around Gettysburg.

KPM, about, where do you live?
Old 08-30-2014, 08:33 PM   #55

Do a lot of you wax your Rv?

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
urocav2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 08:57 PM   #56
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Ramblin Pines is very close to us. We are right outside Baltimore. About 20-30 minutes east of Woodbine.
Ok, then you should be fairly close to Gettysburg or the Valley for that matter

I lived near a little place called Taylorsville in Carroll County, not far from Ramblin Pines. Happy camping this fall.